Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Any New Rabbit Trails? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

St. Katharine Drexel had a special ministry to Native Americans and African-Americans. Perhaps you can include something on her. She was such a special, inspirational person!

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2006 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I was just wondering about this today. I remembered Native Americans, but not Blacks. We have the Glory Story, but does anyone know a book?

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2006 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Rachel,
I know I have a book about St. Katherine. It may be a Vision book. I'll keep searching. While I was looking for it I came across Dark Shepherd by Josephine Kelly. It's published St. Anthony Guild Press and it's about James Healy, the first black bishop in the U.S. They are quite a fascinating family. 2 other Healy boys became priests I believe, and their father was Irish, their mother black. He was called the Children's Bishop for his endearing personality.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2006 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Speaking of Black history month...does anyone know of a good book on St. Martin de Porres? My daughter chose him as her patron saint at confirmation, but she has such trouble finding info on him. She says the one book she read was inspiring but very dry.She doesn't remember the author, however. She would also love a medal of him but we cannot find that either.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2006 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Theresa, Thanks for the tip!

To answer you, I just found this one when I was cleaning out today, Saint Martin De Porres and the Mice. It's an easy reading book, so I'm sure your daughter is beyond it, but it's a nice book. I bought it from Emmanuel Books, but I couldn't find it on their site.

Here's a St. Martin de Porres medal. Sometimes, if you go to a local jeweler or Catholic book store where they carry medals, they have catalogs where you can pick the one you want. That way you wouldn't have to get 14k gold if you didn't want.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2006 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Very nice, Rachel! Thanks! As for the book, would it be appropriate for a 10 yo? My son loved the story of the mice when my daughter told it to him. I'm sure he'd like to read it for himself.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 05 2006 at 11:35pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Theresa,
I liked The Pied Piper of Peru about St. Martin de Porres. I found it at my library a few years ago. It's really meant for younger children. I wouldn't buy it for a 10 yo, but I would definitely check it out of the library for him to read.

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote momwise

momwise wrote:
Rachel,
I know I have a book about St. Katherine. It may be a Vision book.

Well, it's a Credo book and of course it's out of print. I checked at Pauline Books and there side by side are biographies for St. Katherine and St. Martin de Porres. They look great!

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

There is a Windeatt book on St. Martin de Porres (Tan and Ignatius Press sell them). The reading level is typically a little higher than Vision books.

Is anyone reprinting the Credo Books or the American Background Books? We've picked up some good ones at friends of the library sales. It seems school libraries up North that are dumping their great books, send them down south. I got piles of 50C books with labels from Catholic schools up North at our library sale in Al. If you can get your hands on them, they are worth nabbing!

Our rabbit trail (American Indians) was fun while it lasted. DD discovered that the instructions in her books were not specific enough so we ended up with moldy deer hides. I guess the next time we go to an Indian festival, we'll have to ask a Native American just exactly how it is done. Might have had something to do with oversoaking and not being able to start a huge bonfire in our driveway . I don't mind the break from the stench. She even got rid of the deer tail that she had supposedly cleaned. It just stunk too much. If anyone knows better books, let us know. Next time we may consult a tanner and go from there.

She is now off on a middle ages tangent - is building an armory, drawing, reading The Gauntlett and some other book she borrowed from a friend.

We ought to go on a WWII tangent as her grandfather just gave us his old WWII uniform, his canteen and all his medals (the ones presented on the battlefield) plus some copies of photos taken of him in WWII.. We are a bit in awe. Wish he would tell us a bit more about getting out of China and being stopped by Japanese patrols, living in Hong Kong for a while (a 16 yo without family - his dad was in the US already and had a family friend help him get out). We are getting bits and pieces of family history from him. It is very fascinating.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2006 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

For Black History Month, two more good books are:

"African Triumph" by Charles Dollen, about the life of St. Charles Lwanga and the Ugandan martyrs, published by Daughters of St. Paul;

"Servant to the Slaves: The Story of Henriette Delille" by David R. Collins. Henriette Delille is the first U.S. born African American to have her cause of sainthood officially opened by the Catholic Church. Seems like I heard there was a made-for-television movie about her, too.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2006 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Kelly wrote:
For Black History Month, two more good books are:

"African Triumph" by Charles Dollen, about the life of St. Charles Lwanga and the Ugandan martyrs, published by Daughters of St. Paul;

Oh yes, great book. I had thought of that one, then decided to not suggest because it wasn't "American."

On this discussion, how do you deal with the (sometimes so-called) controversial materials or past depictions or typing of blacks in America? The books like "Little Black Sambo."

I personally find Uncle Rhemus stories delightful, but I do worry about the typecasting.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2006 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Jenn,
You brought up 2 good issues. I'm not worrying too much about non-American people being brought into our Black History month. It's about blacks in general for us. With Church history and saints especially, I'm willing to take anything.   

As for the sensitive issues. On the Black History Month thread Janet mentioned a book--Sam and the Tigers--which is a reworked version on Little Black Sambo, and I think she mentioned that there is an introduction explaining why they chose to rewrite the book in more acceptable way. We are enjoying the Julius Lester updated versions of Brer Rabbit on audio. They are very funny and I never read the originals so I don't know what has been changed. The tar baby did make it in though and we talked about how Brer Rabbit treated him and why that was wrong, but sort of glossed the racism issue.

Today we started to listen to the first Addie American Girl story.    I should have prelistened; I don't know what I was thinking! Anthony was crying in the back of the van, but even though it was diffucult to hear, all the kids wanted to finish the whole tape which is the whole first book. I agreed that we could hear the end of that one tape and then we would wait until they were older to read the other books.

Everyone, I'm loving the book suggestions!

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2006 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Jenn,

Actually it wasn't me that recommended the Lester books - though I did look on the web link at the comments because I am really trying to understand what it is that is offensive. There were still some that were offended even by the rewrite so obviously there is something about these books that are seen as very demeaning or there is some connection to something quite painful for it to be such a big issue. I want to be sensitive and understand and I certainly don't want to offend anyone or stereotype.

I'm glad you asked the question as it is something I wanted to ask. Maybe Rachel May could give me a bit of an education. We have an old book with the story of Little Black Sambo in it and I have read it to the kids. We never even knew it was offensive to anyone until later. The kids and I love the story and it didn't even occur to us that anyone was being typed - sort of like Sambo could have been anybody and was such a clever little boy to outwit those silly tigers. We identified ourselves with Sambo. I have honestly wanted to know more specifically - to be educated so to speak. Maybe I missed something because we just weren't around in the U.S. much when I was growing up. I hope no one takes offense at my ignorance - but I really do want to understand.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2006 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Here is an online version of Little Black Sambo and Wikipedia's entry about this. The entry helped me understand the controversy. I'd love to hear your input, Rachel.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version