Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Any New Rabbit Trails? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Donna
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 17 2006 at 5:35am | IP Logged Quote Donna

happyheartsmom wrote:
Wow, you all are off to a great start! It looks like we're venturing to the Arctic for a few weeks. Anyone done a recent Arctic unit

Unfortunately, I found out about this too late to pass it along. We are doing the eIditarod Project this year. It looks awesome !!!

Registration closed on Jan. 6th....but if you are interested, you could get some ideas from the website. The project starts with making a wall map of Alaska in order to study the geography, with particular attention to Anchorage, the Denali Mountains, and Mt. McKinley, the Klondike, the Norton Sound and Nome. We'll eventually be tracking the race !!!

If anyone is interested, I will post ideas as they become available from the project.

Jacob, Sam, and Regina with God
Grandbabies Leigha and Elsie

Moments Like These

Back to Top View Donna's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Visit Donna's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2006 at 5:53am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Donna -- thanks for the link to the Iditarod unit. Drat it's too late - but you can sign up for a Yahoo group to be a race follower......

This looks so cool! I'll have to remember it for next year.

THANKS!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Donna
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2006 at 6:41am | IP Logged Quote Donna

Mary G. wrote:
Drat it's too late

Mary,
I just received an e-mail from Mr. McKenzie saying that you can still register at this site for the project .

Jacob, Sam, and Regina with God
Grandbabies Leigha and Elsie

Moments Like These

Back to Top View Donna's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Visit Donna's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2006 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Donna, thanks so much for the heads up, we'll try and follow although we're sort of ALL over the Arctic including Antarctica, I'll for sure keep this in mind for next year. Have fun and thanks for sharing!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2006 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

My dd is also into horses (we have a small horse farm, so I guess this is a natural result ). Last year, she got very involved in a very easy horsey project that was oh-so- easy to implement. Basically, we got a book on different horse breeds, which she read. She researched various breeds that particularly interested her, wrote up reports on each one about their histories and strengths and so on, and made a display board (the science project type you see at Office Depot) with pictures of each breed above the report. At the time, we were studying the end of the Renaissance and the beginning of the New World era, so she focused on horses originating during that time, so it actually tied right into our history work as well.

I'll probably have her do a similar project now, too, for the 1700s and early 1800s in the USA, and all the new breeds that "evolved" around that time, but here in the good old US of A.

Oh, I almost forgot. For art, I also pulled great paintings that had horses in them and had her copy them, as well as trying her hand at sketching equestrian statues. Since we were still messing with the Renaissance, she also read "Leonardo's Horse", which was timely. There is a plethora of horse literature out there pertinant to various historical eras, not just the Renaissance. EG books like "Mr. Revere and I" about Paul Revere's horse or the book I just noticed somewhere about Wellington's horse that campaigned with him thruout Europe and Spain, and is buried on his family estate in England! Lots o'great horse lit available for unit studies and horse-loving girls.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2006 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

Great ideas, Kelly! My dd has the game Herd Your Horses and has started copying information from the horse cards about the different breeds. I think we'll do a project similar to the one you described.

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2006 at 5:43am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Donna wrote:
Mary G. wrote:
Drat it's too late

Mary,
I just received an e-mail from Mr. McKenzie saying that you can still register at this site for the project .

Donna,

Thanks for the heads up. We're signed up and getting ready to do the map today. Turns out dh LOVES the Iditarod and is as excited (if not more) than the kiddos!

Thanks!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

tracym
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 18 2006 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote tracym

Thank you for the info about the eiditarod. We signed up and my kids are excited to do this!

Tracy
Back to Top View tracym's Profile Search for other posts by tracym

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2006 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Hi I'm new to the forum and thought I'd jump right in here because I am so excited about our new trail.
We are off on a trail about Pirates and having so much fun!
We read about pirates from a book called How to be a Pirate and decided on areas we wanted to learn more about. Now we have chosen our pirate names, and set sail on a pretend adventure, raiding and looting across the Caribbean!
We are learning about Caribbean geography and history, ships and ship-building, marine archeology, knot-tying, scurvy ,and lots more.It is going to be quite an adventure!

Lapazfarm Home Learning

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2006 at 6:15am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Theresa -- this sounds fun. We did a bit of Pirate stuff last year including making treasure maps which we soaked in tea, crumpled into balls and then flattened, and then burned the edges to give it that "real" feel. We had so much fun!

I like your blog and love the "us-schooling" in your signature!

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2006 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

lapazfarm wrote:
We are off on a trail about Pirates and having so much fun!Lapazfarm Home Learning

Hey Theresa, welcome and I just saw on the Jim Arnosky site an online novel about a pirate adventure, looks good, although I didn't read the whole thing. HTH, matey

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2006 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Right now, since my dad just got a deer, all the dc are working on deer hides - using deer brains and liver to cure/soak/preserve the hides. They spent considerable time scraping the hide clean of meat and pulling out spinal cord, etc. I was nowhere in sight and avoid the garage until I can admire the finished product. Our dog no longer does his business as usual as the dc evidently used the bark of a tree to help scrape. Nicky is now going nuts as she smells deer everywhere!

The dc are using the Indian How Book and Native American Crafts. They all just finished reading The Sign of the Beaver.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2006 at 7:07pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

After we finish our pirate adventure, and then get Greek with the Olympics (maybe-we dont get TV so this might not work for us), we will hit the Iditarod trail. I saw some others will be doing this as well, with the eIditarod, so I wanted to pass along this link for a kit that we will be doing.
Fun with your Dog Kit
Maybe some others will find it useful as well.

Lapazfarm Home Learning

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2006 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I also came across this site that has a virtual field trip to Denali National Park. If you visit during Jan 24-26 your child can email questions to experts at the park and get replies, but the virtual tour is available all year. I haven't visited yet, as we are saving it for our Iditarod study in March,but it looks and sounds good.There are other virtual trips as well, to Death Valley, Key Biscayne and others.
eFieldTrips.org
Hope this is useful to someone.

LapazfarmHome Learning

soodow
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote soodow

An unexpected rabbit trail... We watched "Singing in the Rain" last weekend. Though it is suppose to be snowing here in NH it is REALLY raining today. The kids went out (I thought to find MUD) BUT... it was to practice "Singing in the Rain"! They came in singing, a bit wet, and happy. I'm going to see what books we have on rain, mud, etc.
Sue
Back to Top View soodow's Profile Search for other posts by soodow

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

lapazfarm wrote:

eFieldTrips.org
Hope this is useful to someone.

Very useful, Theresa. Thank you!
I just got around to checking it out and it's a real gem of a link.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

We're doing a March of the Pengins spin off too.

The Iditerod links reminded me of a book about Balto that I read about a billion times in the 4th grade. I think it was called Balto the snow dog, but I'm not finding a hit anywhere, so I'm going to see what we can get on ILL.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We have a ton of stuff coming in this week!

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Forgot, we're also doing a Black History Month trail since everyone else in the family is black. We'll see how many months it takes.

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Rachel May wrote:
Forgot, we're also doing a Black History Month trail

We're going to try and catch the repeat of "Providence Will Provide," the true story of Mother Mary Lange, founder of the first black U.S. religious women's order (and the first black women's order ever). It's on EWTN again on Feb. 16 at 6:30 p.m. EST.

St. Guiseppina Bakhita (patron of Catholic in Southern Sudan) will air again on Feb. 9th at 6:30 p.m. EST.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Gwen,
Thanks! I'm going to see if my friends with cable will tape those for us!

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version