Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: need baby names Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 06 2006 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Rachel,
My roommate in college was born in Hawaii. Her father and my father were roommates at the Naval Academy and then her dad was stationed in Hawaii. Her middle name is Tehani. I think it means "Hawaiian Princess." I remember going to the DMV with her to get personalized license plates. She wanted her middle name on the plate. They wouldn't let her because they insisted it was obscene .

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2006 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

mary wrote:

we have tossed around max (like it), but maxmillian is so very long with the 12 letter last name. i hadn't considered kolbe. hmmm. . .

My youngest is John Kolbe. When he was born, my bil says we wimped out because we didn't name him Maximilian. I just didn't care for the name enough. His birth name was Raymond, which was a no-go too.

momwise wrote:
Nobody (including me) knows how to pronounce Gaelic spellings.

True. My niece's name is Grainne (Grawn-yuh?) with an accent over the 'a'. No one knows how to pronounce it. She's at the age now where it's a bother to her to have such an unusual name. Her middle name is Immaculata, which is beautiful, but still unusual.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2006 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

teachingmom wrote:
My precious youngest is 3 years old today.

Happy Birthday, to your "precious youngest" Philomena Starr!!!!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2006 at 5:03am | IP Logged Quote Erin

teachingmom wrote:

One thing I wondered about: have many of you who have chosen more unusual names for your children run into difficulty with other people's reaction?

Irene,
We haven't really had any problems, but then many people we know have named their children unusual names. however dh was a little concerned so we have given the children what I call Catholic evergreen names. Marie, Francis, Michael, Joseph, Therese, Rose and our babe in heaven's middle is d'Angelique.

I really like Kolbe, your other K is a girl Mary so you could get away with it.

What some more? I's- Iani, Ignace, Isaac, Isaiah, Israel,

Skipping the Js and Ks to the Ls- Lafe, Laith, Lawrence, Levi, Liam, Logan, Loren, Lucian, Luke,

Ms- Mannix, Marcel, Marek, Mark, Marlon, Martin, Mathew, Mathias, (this is German) Matteo, Mel, Micah, (this could go well with your biblical names) Myles,

Ns- Nathan, Niall, Noah,

Any that you like yet Mary?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2006 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Elizabeth wrote:
Rachel,
My roommate in college was born in Hawaii. Her middle name is Tehani. I think it means "Indian Princess." I remember going to the DMV with her to get personalized license plates. She wanted her middle name on the plate. They wouldn't let her because they insisted it was obscene .

I love it! She's lucky she had one of those names that fit on a licence plate. You should see the birth pages in the paper. The names are certainly long!   

My Maria's middle name is Niamh (NEE-ev) which is after my friend from high school. I remember in homeroom no one ever asked her how to say her name. They just said, "Esther?" even though she never responded. How did they come up with that?

I'm not Russian, but we had a friend in Hawaii who had a daughter Katya, and we like it. I'm german/mexican mix married to a black man. Then fun part about naming kids is my husband often will respond to my choice by saying it's "too ethnic". As if our kids could be anything but.

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2006 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

I just happened to see this on a news page and thought you all would like to see it too! (I noticed that 7 of the 10 girls' names ended in "a")...

The BabyCenter list of names is billed as the largest private database of baby names in the United States. Unlike other lists, it combines names with the same pronunciation but different spellings to give a more accurate view of popularity. In 2005, nearly one in eight children were given a name with a spelling that is included in the top 10, and parents found over 340 ways to spell those names.

Top 10 Names for Boys:
1. Aidan
2. Jacob
3. Ethan
4. Nicolas
5. Matthew
6. Ryan
7. Tyler
8. Jack
9. Joshua
10. Andrew

Top 10 Names for Girls:
1. Emma
2. Emily
3. Madison
4. Kaitlyn
5. Sophia
6. Isabella
7. Olivia
8. Hannah
9. Makayla
10. Ava

Some fun facts to know and tell:

* For the first time in a decade, Michael and Sarah are not in the top 10 list of names.
    * New to the lists this year are Jack, Andrew, Sophia, Makayla and Ava.
    * There are 77 spelling variations for Makayla and 37 different ways to spell Nicolas.

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2006 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

To me, the perfect boy's name is John Paul!

I love all your other children's names, and Gemma is just wonderful. It's great to be able to honor a saint whose name you do not hear every day.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2006 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Jen L. wrote:

Top 10 Names for Boys:
1. Aidan

When did THIS happen, Willa? I thought I was being mighty original 10 yrs ago .

alicegunther wrote:
To me, the perfect boy's name is John Paul!

I agree

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2006 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Just had to share I'm so excited we have narrowed our name list down!

Boys names- Benedict, Elijah, Finnian, Ignatius, Kolbe, Saxon, Tobias, Zacharias

Girls Names- Bernadette, Chantel, Francesca, Katerina, Katia, Lauren, Natalia, Tatiana.

I've typed this out and stuck it on the fridge. We have six months to decide.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 07 2006 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

momwise wrote:
I was teased about Gwen a few times as a kid but it never had any lasting impression. It's not exceedingly unusual but as a kid I never heard of anyone else with that name.

I never thought about it from that perspective, Gwen. I hardly ever met anyone with my name who was not a grandmother!    There was only one other Irene in school in all my years of growing up . . . and I was never teased. How funny I never thought of that.

kingvozzo wrote:
My niece's name is Grainne (Grawn-yuh?) with an accent over the 'a'. No one knows how to pronounce it.

Years ago I read the book Grania: She-King of the Irish Seas by Morgan Llywelyn. That must be another spelling of your niece's name. (And yes, as I understood it, her name was pronounced Grawn-yuh.) At the time, I loved the name so much that I seriously thought that I might want to name a daughter that when I got married.

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2006 at 6:11am | IP Logged Quote mary

john paul is a wonderful name, but we already have one (dh's brother) and so he has the same last name as well.

Erin, i love your list. i think tobias is especially nice and i wanted it for myself but one of my close girlfriends is naming her boy tobias.

here's what i've got so far:

girl: gemma frances
boy: anthony, dominic, elliot, luke, maxwell, and peter. middle name francis. my two favs on the list are elliot and peter.

erin when are you due? looks like we'll be having a baby together.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2006 at 4:39am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Mary,
How funny I have a Dominic Francis lovely name. My close friend has an Anthony Francis!
Gemma Frances sounds lovely also. Isn't this so frustrating choosing, too many choices.

I'm due 28th of June. When are you due. Why do I blush, weell my husband is an accountant and our last baby was born on the 31st of June Did we have some comments and then we've done it again. Oh well. Last time also our government introduced a new system, a baby bonus of $3000 and we missed out by 1hr. Guess what this year they are upping it to $4000, when, you guessed it after the 1st July. Maybe I'll have the baby late. Last time she was 10 days early.

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2006 at 6:47am | IP Logged Quote mary

you get a baby bonus? is that like a tax deduction? i'm due june 30th. looks like june will be an exciting month at our houses.

peter and elliot - the list got whittled down some more when i ran the names through a popularity thingamabob. so far, paul and jarrod like peter and seth and i like elliot. we may have to flip a coin!

will you be finding out the sex of the baby beforehand?

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2006 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

We had the hardest time deciding on our most recent dc name - I did the thing like Erin is doing for you - went through a very old Saints book with feast days and also a more recent one. Looked first at the saints days near the due date, then did the brute force list going through both books with lists for dh and I to discuss and then whole family. By the time the list went through all that, there was hardly any names we all agreed on. We finally decided when we had the new priest over for dinner (we had agreed on John as a first name even though our whole family is full of Johns including father and brother livin in town and also have a nephew John Paul in town with the name, John. We started out not using the same names but then we all agreed that we weren't going to worry about it and just chose what we wanted. Anyways we still couldn't decide on a middle name). Priest asked us about names as I was very close to due date - and looked like the baby was coming very soon. We mentioned that we hadn't come up with a middle name - dh asked priest about his favorite saint (which happened to be the priest's first name) and we had our middle name (instantly we all liked it). It was all kind of funny as our sons seem to have unintentionally gotten the names of the priests that have baptized them.

Just a thought. What saints are special to your family? I read little details about the saints lives and chose from there - also noting saints whose feasts were celebrated near the due date - although we haven't always chosen a saint near the due date.

St. Basil is listed in the old book I have on June 14. St John Francis Regis on the 16th, St Marcus and Marcellianus on the 18th, St. John the Baptist on the 24th, St John and Paul on the 26th (these were army officers and martyrs not the apostles), St Peter (apostle) on 29th, St Paul(apostle) on June 30.

St Luke is October 18, St Anthony (depending on which one) is Jan 17 or June 13. St Dominic is Aug. 4.

There are plenty of other dates for St Peter (chair of Peter, etc.)

Just an idea. I kept trying to look back up at the names you had narrowed down to - think some names above are on your short list. Also - got the dates from Little Pictorial Lives of the Saints copyrighted in 1828 with last date listed as 1925 so dates my be slightly different than in the post Vatican II calendar. Unfortunately this little book is out of print but a favorite of mine for all kinds of unusual saints.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 10 2006 at 1:35am | IP Logged Quote Erin

mary wrote:
you get a baby bonus? is that like a tax deduction? ?

Baby bonus is a lump sum payment (cash)from the government when the baby is born. Here we receive fortnightly payments called family allowance from the government per child. This is handled by Social Security. The amount you receive depends on your income, obviously the higher your income the less you get. Basically the idea is to use the money to help feed, clothe and educate your children.

mary wrote:
i'm due june 30th. looks like june will be an exciting month at our houses.

Wow this is amazing, wonder if they'll both be born on the same day?

mary wrote:
peter and elliot - the list got whittled down some more when i ran the names through a popularity thingamabob. so far, paul and jarrod like peter and seth and i like elliot. we may have to flip a coin!

Well I like Elliot too. This wouldn't also be because you like Eli would it?

mary wrote:
will you be finding out the sex of the baby beforehand?

No I never have before. Do you? Anyhow I don't have scans so I wouldn't be able to.

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2006 at 5:26am | IP Logged Quote mary

Janet, don't leave me hanging, what was the middle name you picked? i did check to make sure all the names we picked had feast days because we have a blessing cup and love to use it on feast days. the kids really prefer their feast days to be some other month than their birthdays because they get a token gift. elliot is a variant of elias, feast day july 20th. i think basil is a great name but i can't get past the idea that it's an herb. silly, i know. i did not know st. peter was on the 29th. that is going to make my dh and jarrod lobby harder for that name. i wonder what saint book you used? i know the older ones seem to have either more names or more variations of names than the newer books.

erin, yes, i like elliot because i liked eli, but now i like elliot better! go figure. if you miss the govt date of baby bonus, do they give it to you the next year? you just have to wait the full year to receive it? it sounds similar to a baby tax deduction except no actual money passes hands from the tax deduction.

we have never found out the sex before either, but for some reason i'm so much more tempted this time. we have a scan at 20 weeks just to check for growth and malformations that could possibly be corrected in vitro. they let you bring a video (and now a dvd) to record the US. my kids are always thrilled to see their first "pictures."

last pregnancy a good friend of mine and i were 1 week apart and she delivered 2 days before i did. i love having a pregnancy buddy - except she did look so much better pregnant than i did. full body pregnancy (me) versus cute little belly (her).

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 10 2006 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

mary wrote:
if you miss the govt date of baby bonus, do they give it to you the next year? you just have to wait the full year to receive it?

No, what it means is I get the old financial year's amount, so in this case we definetly get $3000 if born prior to 1st July. If the baby is born after we will get the new amount of $4000. The money comes in as soon as we send of the birth certificate. The idea being to use to buy all those baby necessities! In the case of number seven well I'm already set up so, although clothes are rather worn. So it is indeed a bonus!
we have never found out the sex before either, but for

mary wrote:
last pregnancy a good friend of mine and i were 1 week apart and she delivered 2 days before i did. i love having a pregnancy buddy -

It will be nice I was thinking that too. I have had one for my last two pregnancies but not this time -till now!An ocean apart. Lots of my friends are having babies about a month or two before or after me. I booked my first doctor's apointment today and can't get in for 4 weeks! She'll go off (I'll be 20 weeks then) but I did try earlier.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 10 2006 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I know I wrote my list but I'm not entirely happy with it. We like names to be 3 or sometimes 2 syllables and as you can tell we prefer more unusual names, obviously it must be a saints name. Girls names should be pretty and feminine, boys strong. I'm just not really happy with anything yet, particularly my girls list.

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2006 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

The middle name was Thomas and the book is called Pictorial Life of the Saints (copyright 1878,1887,1894,1923,1925 by Benziger Brothers )so a lot of the more unfamiliar saints are there and many, many martyrs. It was given to me when a local church was cleaning out the library. Obviously Maxmillian Kolbe isn't even in the book . There was an appendix of more recently cannonized Saints which includes St. Therese of the Child Jesus.

Erin, we always found girls names harder to agree on - my dh doesn't like anything unusual (I love the unusual names but want them feminine and I need to know how to pronounce them) but many of the older saints names(girls) just sound masculine to me or like they came out of a German opera or I am unsure of the pronunciation even though inspired by the life. I could look through for girl names if you like - you want 2 or 3 syllables. There is St Marcella (Jan. 31) and St. Principia, St. Dorothy (Feb 6),St. Colette (March 6 she was told by St Francis in a vision to reform her order which she did and helped heal the schism of 3 claimants to the papacy), St. Euphrasia (March 13), St Fidelis (April 24 male saint), St. Zita (April 27), St Paschal Baylon (May 17 - male), St Julia (May 23), St Blandina (June 2), St Crescentia (June 15), St Juliana Falconieri (June 19), St Etheldreda (June 23), St Felicitas (July 10), St Christina (July 24), St Susanna (August 11), St Seraphia (Sept 3), St Rosalia (Sept 4), St Thecla (Sept 23), ST Justina (Sept 26), St Bibiana (Dec 2).

Anyways, you get the idea of the unusual names available - not always sure how to pronounce them. There are more for Dec. but much fewer female names than men. I was also really glad to know that some of the names I liked were actually saints names as that is a must in our house. Dh wouldn't even consider Ignatius as a middle name so most of the above are not even possible in our house.

Here is a funny naming story to laugh at - dh changed his mind about our oldest dd name on the way to deliver. As I was in labor I couldn't tell him I hated the name he now wanted but fortunately when she was born, midwife used the name we had originally agreed on and dh suddenly decided he really liked it after all. Phew! My aunt and uncle couldn't be released till they picked out a name and they were still deciding day after birth.

Let us know what you all decide - this is fun!

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 11 2006 at 2:36am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Erin wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I know I wrote my list but I'm not entirely happy with it.

I especially like Lauren from your girl list (wanted to use it myself but mostly have boys here), but it really doesn't fit with the rest of your names I don't think, especially since it wouldn't be the 3 syllables. Bernadette is nice also.

Not using the letters of the other children and no vowels -
How about Johanna, Nicolette, Beatrice, Felicia, Helena, Kalina (another form of Katherine), Lydia, I like Veronica and Victoria (but both have 4 syllables)

I do like vowel names for girls but didn't list them since you're not as fond of them. I really like Isabelle which was on your earlier short list (but must not have made the cut ). It's also getting very popular here in the US - is it in Australia, too?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version