Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: need baby names Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 04 2006 at 2:04am | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

We named our oldest Zane. It is a form of John.

My Dh also likes Aquinas whom we would call Quin.

Nicole
Back to Top View humanaevitae's Profile Search for other posts by humanaevitae

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2006 at 6:29am | IP Logged Quote mary

it sure is fun to pick out names, isn't it? until you whittle them down and get just the right name for that babe. i have nephews named caleb and karl and a bil named john so they are out. i think ethan is a wonderful name but i really want something that is not on the top 10 list of popular names! my dh is paul and i am mary - when we went to school there were 4 or 5 paul/marys. the last name is 4 syllables, so while benedict (ben for short) is nice, it's probably too long. i do like anthony but am not fond of tony. authentic german names scare me a tad. my poor kids are gonna be spelling their last name all the time, i hate to make them have to spell the first name as well. (although i tend to have to spell jarrod and katia anyway.)

thanks for the link to the naming site, i will have to check it out. i'd love to hear more suggestions if you have them!
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2006 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Martha wrote:
Well we were leaning towards either Martin Levi or Levi Martin in case of a boy

We were toying with Dustin Levi for our firstborn and my uncle dubbed him "Dirty Jeans." He ended up being an Anthony.

A short boy name I like is Ben. I came up with lots of great names for our last boy by looking through the saint books but dh didn't like any of them well enough. There is a book calledSaints' Names for your Baby

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2006 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote mary

dirty jeans!

my library just happens to have that saint naming book. Thank you!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 04 2006 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Mary,
I am currently wading my way through 'Dictionary - Patron Saints Names' by Thomas Sheehan. It is 589 pages thick publ. by Our Sunday Visitor. It has 2000 patron saints for 6000 male and 8000 female names.

Night by night I go through a letter and then dh comes and crosses of 3/4 of them. You know I really like Katarina but it is 4 syllables, perhaps a tad long. I'm really condsidering your Katia, I've added it to my list.

You didn't say whether you just wanted biblical names. So I thought I'd list some short names from the a's for you from my tome. But I get it not too popular.

Aaaron, Abram, Amos, Alcik, Alex, Andre, Angus, Anson, Anton, Ashley,

I'll go through B's next if you like. This is good for me I hadn't got up to the boys yet. Although I tend to go for longer names. Benedict is top of our list. The children definetly want it. However I'm dubious as I don't like names shortened and I worry Benedict may be.         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;     

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2006 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote mary

erin, i think you would love katia. it's french (i think) for catherine. my sister katie (catherine) died and i wanted to name my dd after her and yet let her have her own name. katia is perfect although i do have to help pple pronounce it (kah tee a). I think Benedict will be Ben. I get what you mean about shortened names - I'm funny about the same thing!

i would LOVE it if you would go through your tome. weirdly, i have other naming quirks. i'm not so thrilled with names that start with vowels - although i do love Alec. also, i think if i have two kids with J names, i will mess up their names more than i already do. So, no names beginning with J, K or S.

I'm ready for the Bs!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 12:58am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Mary,
Katia is really growing on me! I like lots of the Katherine derivatives

Funnily enough I don't like any A names, nor many vowel ones either. (Do like my own though ) My husband is also the same about having more than one person with the same beginnning letter. I managed to slip in two Ms and he says no more. Such a pity as I really love Majella and Marissa. But I can see what he means.

For the Bs -BTW are 2 syllables alright?
My three favourites, Bede, Blaise, Brice, and more Blaire, Basil, Blade, Blaine, Blake, (maybe too trendy) Braden, Bram, Brand, Brandon, Brannon, Brendan (I have a brother Brendan) Brennan, Brent, Brian, Brock, Brodie, Bronson, Byran,
Of course many of these have variations with spelling.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 6:29am | IP Logged Quote mary

none of those seem to go with jarrod and seth, kwim? how are the Cs?   

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I didn't realise how few short names there are! We have finally got our girls name list done to 20! Boys names are harder I'm up to Ss and only have five (after dh deleted most of course )

Here's some more: Caelan, Cain, Cale, Caleb, Calen, Callan, (my brother's name), Carey, Casey, Cash, Casper, Cedric, Chaim, Chance, Chase, Colby, Colton, Colum, Conan, Connor, Cooper, Corbin, Cordell, Corey, Cornell, Cullen, Curran,

And some Ds: Dace, Dacey, Dale, Devin, Dylan, Dion, Donal, Donnell, Doran, Doyle, Duncan, (not many short ones in the Ds.)

Es: Eamon, Eaton, Egan, Eli, Elijah, Elisha, Enoch, Ephrem, Ethan, Enos,

I hope some go with your boys, It is so hard I know.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I just found this thread that it's been fun reading through it. Based on your parameters, Mary, I really like Eli so far. It is short, sounds great with your other sons' names and would also sound good with a longer last name starting with "R". Just my 2 cents.

Btw, I have a sister-in-law named Mary who is married to a Paul too.

(From someone who has had the exact same boys' name waiting in the wings for the last 4 out of 5 girls. Want to know what it is? Patrick Joseph.)

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2006 at 4:24am | IP Logged Quote mary

erin, i would love to hear your 20 girl names if you feel like sharing them.

irene, patrick was always one of our favorite names, but it seems odd with a german last name. sort of a cultural disharmony thing! my dh will not go for eli. i have elliot on my short list but he says no way.

i guess we can skip the Fs since francis is the middle name. Gs?

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 06 2006 at 5:23am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Irene,
I love Patrick Joseph. Ds Malachi has Joseph as his middle name and if Patrick goes with our 'next' boy Patrick will be for a middle name too.

Mary, here is our list, remember we tend to go for long names. Some on the list are more dh's preference than mine and vice versa. We have get to have the show-down.
Anastasia, Bernadette, Bonita, Chantal, Francesca, Inessa, Isabel, Isabella, Jacinta, Katerina, Katia, Lauren, Loretta, Natalia, Natalina, Philomena, Raphaelle, Selena, Tatiana.

Are you saying you have Francis already chosen?

Gs- Gael, Gale, Gage, Galen, Galvan, Gamal, Gardell, Garek, Gareth, Garick, Garner, Garrelt, Garrott, Garth, Gaspar, Gaston, Gavan, Gene, Gerard, Gideon, Gilbert, Giles, Gillett, Gilroy, Goran, Gowan, Grady, Grange, Grant, Griffin, Griffith,

Mm I think the pick there is Gerard Francis, (my ds Dominic is Dominic Francis and I have a brother Callan Francis Patrick.)

Hs- Hadley, Hale, Hamish, Hanoch,(variation of Enoch) Hanson, Harlan, Harris, Hasin (Arabic for Isaac) Hayden, Heath, Herrick, Hilaire, Hiram, Hogan. Hudson, Hunter, Don't think there's any there to match.

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2006 at 6:43am | IP Logged Quote mary

my sister's girl is jacinta and i think it is beautiful. she also has a lucia. my other sister almost named her dd philomena but choose faustina instead. of course you know i love katia and think francesca is a beautitful name. i see you also like the names that end in a. i think you can't go wrong with any of those. it'll be fun to see what you pick.

francis is the middle name for our baby; frances for a girl. one name down!

gerard is a great name, but too similar to jarrod (my oldest child). callan seems irish, yes? i love dominic but i can't convince paul.

skip the Is and Js and whatchagot for Ks? (and what a sweetheart you are to do this!)

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2006 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Just adding my .02, I have a brother named Gregory Francis........

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 06 2006 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I wanted to name our Patrick Gabriel, "Gabriel Francis" but dh wanted Patrick as it's a family name. I love his name. But Paddy, all on his own, has really developed a devotion to St. Francis and he's sure he'll choose Francis for his confirmation name. So his name will be Patrick Gabriel Francis. Pretty cool how that all worked out, huh?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2006 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Bill and I are coming to the conclusion of our naming discussion. A boy will definitely be James Damien. A girl will be Georgia Grace or Georgia Michele to go with Thomas, Anthony, Maria, Charles, and Cecilia. Second choice was Katya (caught-yuh).

Mary, my suggestion for you is Maxmillian or Kolbe. Max is a great short name to go with a German last name, and he's such a great saint, I wish my husband would let me use those names.

We have the opposite problem with names. Bill objects to names that are short since May is also short. In Hawaii the tradition was to give your child a Hawaiian middle name. We never did, but with the last I suggested John Kamehameha (Kuh-may-uh-may-uh) May. We had a girl, which took care of that.

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2006 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote mary

Elizabeth, isn't it funny how you knew somehow that Francis was connected in some way to your Patrick? it makes me pause in the naming business and feel like, yes, there is a perfect name for every baby.

rachel, your names are beautiful. my fil is james, bil is thomas, and i have a godmother named cecilia. anthony is on my short list. i noticed you have the russian spelling and pronounciation for katya. are you

we have tossed around max (like it), but maxmillian is so very long with the 12 letter last name. i hadn't considered kolbe. hmmm. . .

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 06 2006 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Erin wrote:
here is our list, . . . remember we tend to go for long names. . . Philomena . . .

Erin,
My precious youngest is 3 years old today. It is so hard to believe! Her middle name is Philomena. She's named after my grandmother, who was Italian and spelled it Filomena.

One thing I wondered about: have many of you who have chosen more unusual names for your children run into difficulty with other people's reaction? My daughter's first names are all very typical. (Unfortunately, a few of them were in the top 10 when I chose them but I didn't have any idea of that at the time. I was just choosing beautiful, traditional biblical names.)

But recently I overheard a conversation between a non-Catholic neighbor girl and some of my girls. They were discussing middle names, and when my girls told her that their little sister's middle name is Philomena, the other girl actually laughed outright! She had never heard the name before apparently. I'd hate for my dd to have her feelings hurt when she is old enough to understand, so I wondered how others have dealt with this as their children get older.

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2006 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote mary

i suppose it depends on where you live, how unusual an unusual name is! i often explain katia and i always spell jarrod. when i say that katia is named after my sister, pple think it's sweet. i think kids can make fun of any name. my kids are much more likely to get made fun of for their last name, which is often mispronounced as rottenhamburger.   

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2006 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

teachingmom wrote:
One thing I wondered about: have many of you who have chosen more unusual names for your children run into difficulty with other people's reaction?

I deliberately chose Siobhan for Renee's middle name because I wanted to use the Irish spelling and I knew it would never work for a first name. Nobody (including me) knows how to pronounce Gaelic spellings.

The topic of middle names doesn't come up very often though. I'll bet your daughter won't run up against much more teasing in the future because of that. Now first names I don't know about.

I was teased about Gwen a few times as a kid but it never had any lasting impression. It's not exceedingly unusual but as a kid I never heard of anyone else with that name.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version