Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Steps toward order Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 04 2006 at 1:51am | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

Does anyone else notice their housekeeping efforts move in cycles?

I somehow get inspired and attack the house with a smile on my face. The next day, the smile slips a little as I'm trying so hard but I'm actually not gaining. The 3rd day I'm getting "testy" and start yelling at the kids as someone left the bathroom door opened and the baby got into the toilet again leaving wet clumps of toilet paper all over the floor and he needs a bath and another outfit. On the fourth day I've given up. It is no use as it boils down to the fact that a child can mess something up in 1 minute that will take me 30 minutes to fix. I have feelings of anger, despair,hopelessness, and insanity (mmmmm...maybe if I tied them up...)

AFter a day of moping I start basic cleanup again but with no eagerness or enthusiasm. We trudge along until:
1. I erupt in anger at the pig hole we live in
2. You kind ladies inspire me with your gentleness and wisdom
3. Someone is coming over

Thus begins again my housekeeping cyle!

Nicole
Back to Top View humanaevitae's Profile Search for other posts by humanaevitae

tracym
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 04 2006 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote tracym

This is a neverending struggle for me also. One of the things i am doing is getting rid of stuff! I hope that will help with some of the clutter. Also as flylady says -baby steps. I am trying not to get discouraged so quickly. I used to not want to do housework and that is not how I feel now but I get so overwhelmed. I am hoping to make small progress. I also just got the book A Mother's Rule of Life and I can't wait to read it.

I have noticed the cycle thing but I am getting better about it. We just had a party for my kids this weekend-crisis clean, nice and clean and now slowly get back to "normal" clutter. But today I got the kitchen looking nice and at dinner food was all over the floor but I took 5 minutes and it looks nice again. Usually I say oh man and tend to let it go and go! i THINK IF i GET ON THE BALL MORE QUICKLY AND NOT LET IT BUILD UP IT WON'T BE BAD-oops sorry about the caps!

Anyways this topic speaks to me at the moment so there is my input.

Tracy M. mom to ds Allen(8), dd Laura(6), ds Joey(4) and Anthony 10 months
Back to Top View tracym's Profile Search for other posts by tracym

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

jenngm67 wrote:

9 in my opinion is old enough to be helping out.

Jenn, I agree totally and actually I feel like I have child labor going on here . Ds9 & ds7 unload the dishwasher, make the beds, vacuum the entry way, care for the dog, drop the laundry down the chute, wash the table, sweep the kitchen, and carry up laundry bags.

I guess what I meant was that I didn't want to always be using them to clean up/ pick up after the little ones. I feel like they shouldn't always be the ones to "fix" the burden of the messy house.

I love evryone's suggestions and I plan on trying to declutter and use scheduled times each day to bring back order. It was nice, too, to see that others felt the same sometimes.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

humanaevitae wrote:
Does anyone else notice their housekeeping efforts move in cycles? . . .
AFter a day of moping I start basic cleanup again but with no eagerness or enthusiasm. We trudge along until:
1. I erupt in anger at the pig hole we live in
2. You kind ladies inspire me with your gentleness and wisdom
3. Someone is coming over

Thus begins again my housekeeping cyle!

Nicole

I laughed at this because it is just what I do.

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2006 at 11:56pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

marychris wrote:
We set up our Peg System yesterday. We will see how it works.

I'm reviving this thread, wondering how this system has worked out for MaryChris.
Has anyone else tried it?

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2006 at 4:37am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

I'm glad you revived this, Noreen, because chores have been on my mind all night. We don't have a formal peg system or formal written out chores at all. Basically, the way it works here is, I get the ball rolling and start delegating. Whoever is closest is the one who sets the table, makes drinks for everyone, serves, wipes the table, sweeps the floor, helps with the dishwasher, bathrooms, vacuuming, etc.... The 3 big kids are responsible for their own laundry, and everyone is responsible for tidying their own rooms.

It seems to work, but I do wonder if the children would be better off with something more formal. My obstacle is this: if some combination of them are playing nicely somewhere else, and just one is with me and it's not his/her chore to help me with readying for dinner, I hate to call the assigned child in/down when a helper is good and ready right here. Does that make any sense? (Sorry, it's early ).

I'd love to hear from folks who have done both, or tried this and learned the hard way. BTW, my children are 10, 8, 6, 4 and almost-2. The 2yo loves our little electric sweeper and runs that battery down every day. He doesn't purposely hit any exact spot , but I empty that collector tray a few times a day!!

Thanks again, Noreen, for bringing it up. I've been working on my spreadsheet for our "flexibly structured" school day and was just about ready to start on the housework schedule.

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2006 at 6:08am | IP Logged Quote Christine

Molly, you pretty much described how we clean at our house. I have been debating implementing formal chores most of the summer.
Molly Smith wrote:
The 2yo loves our little electric sweeper and runs that battery down every day. He doesn't purposely hit any exact spot , but I empty that collector tray a few times a day!!

Where did you find the electric sweeper? Our one year old is obsessed with our real vacuum cleaner. "Vacuum" is one of the first words that he says in the morning and he often falls asleep holding a vacuum tool. He is scared of the vacuum when it is on, but loves it when it is turned off. He finds places that need vacuuming and pretends to clean them, but my husband really doesn't like him rolling the vacuum cleaner around (actually, I don't either). Last night, I hid the vacuum (it's getting that bad).

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2006 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Maybe try a new topic called "pegs" and link it to this thread. . .maybe people will respond about pegs.

I bought the pegboard and never used it. I'd like to know how it works for people, too.

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2006 at 6:40pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I have the pegs system too. I bought it over a year ago and am just now trying to set it up!

I can't seem to find the time, or brainpower, to think it all through.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2006 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I gave my pegboard to a friend. It just did not work for us. Part of the problem was I could not find a good spot to hang it up, so all the circles would fall off.
Usually when there are jobs to be done I just hand then out. My ds8 has the nickname Duck, because he is usaully the one around and he says yes.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: July 26 2006 at 4:44am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Mary Chris gave her pegs to me, which meant I had my large set and her small set. This is working much better because I can detail it. I'm in the process of keying the PEGS discs to the Motivated Moms list. For the last four weeks, I've been using MM, tweaking it just for us, assigning certain tasks to certin chldren. Now that we're in the habit, I'm ready to make a go of it using PEGS.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2006 at 4:55am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Christine wrote:
Where did you find the electric sweeper? Our one year old is obsessed with our real vacuum cleaner....Last night, I hid the vacuum (it's getting that bad).

Here it is: it's a Swivel Sweeper. I do have to hide it sometimes, too ! The upside is that the main level is constantly being vacuumed, and that has to be worth the cost of the machine!! (By the way, you don't have to buy it online, I think my dh found it at Lowe's, so chances are that Home Depot or Target may have it as well.)

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version