Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Wild Monthly Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 05 2005 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

MaryM wrote:
And all my personal encounters with rattle snakes came when I was living in Idaho, Meredith.

Better you than me Mary I am definately NOT the tomboy type, although I've been known to climb some pretty tall trees in my younger days But that was usually to get away from my brother and his annoying friends

Looking forward to next month MacBeth!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Aug 01 2005 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Looks like the "July" issue will be out August 2nd. Sorry about the delay!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Aug 03 2005 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Yes, yesterday's downtime did allow me to finish the latest installment. Here's a quick sample:

...the dog was chasing rocks that I tossed into the shallows, when he suddenly left my side, barking. There, in barely 12 inches of water, was a shark! Don was afraid that the dog might be bitten (I am not sure what he thought might happen to me!), so he called the dog out of the water, and watched as I lifted a slick gray three-foot-long dogfish out of the water. The poor thing was alive, but in sad shape. Resisting the opportunity to examine it up close was impossible. Its unblinking yellow/gray eyes stared back at me. Its skin, like sandpaper, rubbed roughly against my hands. Its teeth...

Read the rest here!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Aug 03 2005 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Ew. I just realized that I sent out the e-mail version, and posted the web version, with a few odd grammatical errors.    My appologies. The moral of the story is (for me, anyway): Always wait 24 hours before you proof-read.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2005 at 9:43pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

My mother was acosted by a shark in about a foot of water. She had just gone out to her boat to move it before a storm, heard a noise and looked behind her to see a large shark headed straight at her. She leapt into the boat. As she did this, a dolphin materialized out of nowhere and battle-rammed the approaching shark. She said they fought it out in knee-deep water all the way down the shore.

Just recently, on our key, another gal was attacked by a small shark in knee-deep water. I don't remember the details, but I think it took a hunk out of her leg.

Don was right to worry about you and your dog in that shallow water (even if it turned out-thankfully- to be a false alarm)!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2005 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Great topic, MacBeth!

My uncle, Joseph Dunn, was attacked by the infamous Matawan Man Eater in 1916. My grandfather, Michael, went back in to the water in a desperate struggle to free his brother from the jaws of the shark. Moments later, he wrapped his shirt around Joseph's leg to stop the bleeding until help arrived. After they left for the hospital, one of the other boys ran breathlessly to my grandfather's house, burst into the kitchen, and spluttered, "There's a shark down at the creek eatin' kids! Here's Mickey's shirt!" He threw the blood soaked shirt at my great grandmother and bounded off with no further explanation! Poor great grandmother fainted right on the spot.

I still remember my grand uncle Joe's mangled, but usable leg, always noticeable when he wore shorts. He did not even limp though, so I'd say he was quite lucky.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2005 at 9:19pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

WOW, Alice, that is an incredible story...and being from Florida, I've been around a lot of shark stories! Wow.

After your Uncle Joe's experience, this shark story is pretty plain vanilla, but it is true. A guy I know in the Bahamas was spearfishing with a buddy when a huge shark attacked him. His fishing buddy looked over to see Roy's entire head inside the sharks mouth, as the shark shook and tossed Roy's (football player-sized) body to and fro. He swam over to the shark and fired his spear into the side of the shark's mouth, hoping the shark would let go. The shark, amazingly, released its hold, and Roy's pal hauled him (Roy) quickly to the surface and got him on the boat. His face had been virtually sheared all around the edges and was dangling about his nose. Everyone assumed he was dead, and they were all mourning his loss when he came to, for a split second, long enough to hear them say "Poor Old Roy..." , whereupon he wiggled his pinky a little bit. He was life-flighted to Miami, and he recovered beautifully. To this day, he's a good looking fellow, with a perfect circular scar around his entire face---makes him look rather rakish.

Once I asked him what it was like having his head inside a shark, and he said, "Mighty dark!".

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2005 at 10:43pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Kelly, I do not think that story is plain vanilla by any means! It's more harrowing than my uncle's! Incredible.

Cottage Blessings
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

I love hearing the details of folks "war" stories with animals. I may do a "best of" comments section in the newsletter one day, given permission of course.

On to business:

I have had to take the Wild Monthly mailing list and dump it into a Yahoo Group. It seems that many subscribers have bulk e-mail limits, and I cannot take the time to send each copy individually. I hope no one minds. If anyone did not get an invitation and would like one, please e-mail me privately. The invitations should all be out...

Or, go to Wild Monthly's Yahoo Page and subscribe. Of course, it is still available on the web at the link below my signature.

The new issue will be out tonight!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

The new issue is up! I am holding off on the mailing until tonight due to the change in mailing group. Here's a sample:

Wild Monthly (Camping edition)--

Babes in the Woods

I don’t mean to be rude, but it’s time to get out. Turn off the TV, pull on your hiking boots, and head outside. The weather is getting cooler (except in anti-podean climes), the birds will be migrating soon, and the flurry of autumnal activity can provide us with hours of observation, if only we get out. I have heard all the excuses, but there is one common excuse that folks use to stay inside: "My children are too young to camp or hike!"

Read the rest!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

MacBeth, this is very inspiring! I printed this one out for my hubby to read, we may try a mini camp/hike this weekend. Last weekend we hiked and saw a cool bee hive The kids loved it since we've been studying pollination, bees and the like. Thanks for another GREAT Wild Monthly

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

MacBeth,

Thank you so much for putting this together! I'm keeping all issues just in case you stop publication. *grinz*

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 01 2005 at 2:39am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

happyheartsmom wrote:
I printed this one out for my hubby to read, we may try a mini camp/hike this weekend.

Oooh, how about Red Fish Lake? - my favorite childhood campground in your neck of the woods. Loved the giant woodpile full of chipmunks by the lodge that we used to feed (though probably not there anymore).

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Oct 10 2005 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Late, late, late...

But here it is:

It was dark--really dark. OK, it wasn’t cave dark; if one waited a bit, one could soon make out trees, water and sky, and see where they met. But for this 12-year-old city-girl looking around under a cloudy, starless sky, it was as dark as any dark I had ever seen. We were camping in Canada, well north of most cities and towns, far from the light pollution which plagues the eastern megalopolis where I had lived all my life. To me, it was dark.

The night had come on slowly. The sun set over the lake as we settle by our first camp fire of the trip. We had canoed all day, and pulled into our campsite just in time to see the bats come out. At first, I thought they were butterflies, but there were millions of them. And I mean millions. The air turned black with bats swirling out of some hidden cave on the island...

Read the rest
here.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2005 at 6:02am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

An especially interesting issue of Wild Monthly, MacBeth (but then again, they are all especially interesting). Thanks so much for sharing your wealth of nature knowledge with us!

Cottage Blessings

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Oct 11 2005 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

alicegunther wrote:
An especially interesting issue of Wild Monthly, MacBeth

You know, Alice, if you like, we can do a night program in your big back yard one evening in winter, if you are willing .

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2005 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

MacBeth wrote:
You know, Alice, if you like, we can do a night program in your big back yard one evening in winter, if you are willing .

Do I have the luck of the Irish, or what?!    

Name the day!

Cottage Blessings

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Nov 14 2005 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

The new issue is done! Here's the excerpt:

I must have been about 8 years old when, as I was pedaling my bike down the road near my grandmother's house in a small seaside town just south of Boston, I ran over a small turtle.ÿ I stopped, pulled my bike to a neat turn, and went back to see what I had hit.ÿ The turtle, a young snapper, was about 5 inches from head to toe, and uncrushed by hisÿbrush with a bike.ÿ And now, he was my new pet!...

Read more!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 14 2005 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

MacBeth wrote:
I ran over a small turtle.ÿ Read more!

My eyes are playing tricks on me. Because of the little y grin-thingy, I thought I read that you ran over a small turkey.

I didn't realize my mistake until I clicked on the link.

How's that for speed-reading.   

Great job, Macbeth!

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Dec 02 2005 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

The new issue is out. It's a bit abbreviated as December is so busy. Basically, I just posted a few ideas and an interesting news story .

Read it here.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version