Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Special Blessings
 4Real Forums : Special Blessings
Subject Topic: math and ADHD Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 02 2009 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote melanie

ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Sorry, had to vent...
I've been using Saxon 3 with my 9yo this year, and it is a NIGHTMARE. I don't know if it's Saxon or just him. We're only on lesson 53, it is going very, very slowly, and has been very frustrating. He just can't handle the length of the lessons, and I can't really cut them down much because he needs all the practice he can get. Last year we used MUS, and he just really did not like it at all. He seemed to get very distracted with the blocks and did not like the lessons at all. I don't know if we should

--just stick it out with Saxon and just do half a lesson a day indefinitely and hope he somehow manages to catch up? Maybe it's not Saxon, or MUS, but just him, and any program is going to have us limping along like this? Because a lot of our problem is his attention. The lessons are long, and I have to redirect his attention 247 times over the course of a lesson.

--Or use something else altogether. I've been looking at teaching textbooks and really like what I've seen. I think working on the computer like that would really keep his attention and he would be able to work more quickly. But they don't even start until a 4th grade level and he's not quite there yet, so I would need to maybe find something relatively painless he can do during the summer to finish up these 3rd grade math skills...maybe just some kind of workbook. Any suggestions?

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

Lauri B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 02 2009 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote Lauri B

{{{{{hugs}}}}}

I think it's both Saxon AND a 9 year old boy. ;) I tried Saxon with my eldest and didn't like the format at all. I've always been sort of CM-Waldorfy, though.

I like Teaching Textbooks from Pre-Algebra up, but haven't tried the young grades. (Young means, to me, 7th grade and under, LOL) I've never had much luck with formal math much before age 10.

Saxon is a "spiraling" curriculum, which is quite difficult for ADHD types, who often find the unit approach a bit more understandable.

With my AS/ADHD daughter (soon to be 11) I've had good luck with the Math Mammoth curriculum. I buy just the topical booklets I feel she needs to work on, and we don't use every single page necessarily.

I believe there's an article by the Bluedorns on the topic of boys & math - isn't there? Wait - I found it - Heavens! It's long. The summary's at the end. :)
Back to Top View Lauri B's Profile Search for other posts by Lauri B

sailormom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 06 2009 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote sailormom

I don't know if this helps, but Saxon didn't work at *all* for my ADHD (inattentive type) daughter, for exactly the same reasons you mention.

The thing that ended up working best for us is a program called "Math Steps" by Houghton Mifflin (you can find the workbooks on Amazon for about $10-12 depending on the grade level.) Although it's referred to as an "intervention" math program, it's keyed to California state math standards so it covers what I need it to cover. My oldest daughter used it for several years and rolled into Saxon Algebra 1 in 8th grade with absolutely no trouble at all.

The lesson models are stepped out and they're right at the top of the workbook page, so there's no page flipping or book shuffling. The pages are black and white, so they aren't visually distracting. There's a reasonable number of problems on each page also, which is less overwhelming for my daughter. Being able to write in the book also seems to help quite a bit.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there. :)
Back to Top View sailormom's Profile Search for other posts by sailormom

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2009 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

I feel your pain, Sister! I have had the same hair pulling instances with my 9yo ds, with ADD and Saxon. It was...ugly. I bought the fourth grade Oak Meadow Math...and it is right up our alley. Gentle, not very stressful, not like a strict workbook, but a gentle workbook with lots of ideas for Mom to do also, games to play, etc.....we are only on lesson five, but I am thinking this is not too bad.   

I am glad someone made the point about the spiral method not working very well for kiddos with ADD, that was sort of my gut feeling, now I have it validated.

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2009 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote Taffy

I know EXACTLY how you feel, Melanie! We've struggled with both Singapore math and Math U See. My son's issues make it easy for him to do algorithms (no problems with adding/subtracting/multiplying/division) but he has a very hard time with more abstract concepts like time and money. And don't get me started on word problems.

I had planned to chuck it all and use the Evergreen Curriculum as a guide to form our own math program but have not gotten very far with that yet. His biggest problems seem to center on concepts that he should have learned at kindergarten but still has trouble with (he's 12).

I'm not sure that there is a program out there that I'll like. I'm glad to know that Saxon didn't work for your son. I had a VERY strong feeling that it would not suit us. I do like Singapore Math but I'm finding that I have to think creatively more than I'd like.

I'm going to be checking out some of the programs mentioned here too. Thanks for starting this thread. Even if I end up staying the course we are on, it's so good to know that we aren't alone.

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 07 2009 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

We're having similar issues with my 8-year-old son who has attention issues, difficulties with short-term memory, and dyslexia. Math has been an unbelievable challenge for him. I recently purchased Math on the Level, and we're going to give it a whirl. It looks promising, albeit teacher-intensive.

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

Lauri B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 07 2009 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote Lauri B

Taffy wrote:
His biggest problems seem to center on concepts that he should have learned at kindergarten but still has trouble with (he's 12).

I'm so glad you made this comment, Taffy. I think about this all the time. If math (or grammar or whatever) is a set of specific and finite skills to master, can we simply learn them when we learn them? I mean that sort of rhetorically. We're accustomed to math taking 180 lessons x 8 years of primary school, but it's really a finite amount of information. So, conceivably, wouldn't the best curriculum be able to explain this finite amount of information succinctly and in a finite amount of time? Well - not in 1,440 individual lessons, anyway. Conceivably, couldn't there be math which doesn't have to be "kindergarten" level or "7th grade" but just math and we learn it when we learn it.

To me, Analytical Grammar provides that for Grammar. We used it a few years ago and I was so pleased to be able to cram "all" the grammar they need into one year. (We did it in one year at that time.) Probably no such thing for basic math, eh?

Oh well!
Back to Top View Lauri B's Profile Search for other posts by Lauri B

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2009 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

Lauri,

Part of the problem with math instruction in this country is that math is *not* "a set of specific and finite skills to master." This approach is why our students get whomped in international competitions. To use math well, you need to be creative and flexible and have a strong conceptual grasp of the material. My mathematician father told me once that every good mathematician carried around several "models" in his head at all times and used whichever one fit the situation best for a given problems. Another way to say this is that there may be only one solution to a problem, but there can be several ways to get that solution.

In Christ,
Deborah
former PhD student in math, married to a PhD in math, and has a keen interest in math education and who must run right now

Back to Top View mom3aut1not's Profile Search for other posts by mom3aut1not

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2009 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

One thing I have found with my ds is that the manipulatives I often try to use for math, are the very thing that distracts him. (He has adhd.) For so long I have looked at the programs with manipulatives (like Saxon) because he is a kinesthetic (incorrect spelling?)learner. However, just give him cuisenaire rods, linking cubes, counting bears or whatever, and he is off in his own world building things, even if I am right there trying to teach him something.   I'm beginning to wonder if he would be better off without the manipulatives.
When my daughter was younger, the manipulatives worked great to help her understand concepts. She is an auditory learner, not kinesthetic! Go figure!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2009 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

Becky,

Maybe an abacus like the one RightStart has would be helpful. You can't do much building with that!

In Christ,

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2009 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Thanks Deborah! After posting that I started thinking of things that he can't build with too. The hundreds board came to mind as I am starting to use that more with my other ds. I have an abacus. I'll have to get that out too!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Amanda
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 18 2009 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote Amanda

Melanie,

First, I would ask (hoping this doesn't sound obnoxious) what you mean by "he needs all the practice he can get"? Does he forget concepts quickly? Make a lot of errors? Is there a way you can correct whatever the problem is without doing so much drill?

What about Aleks math? It wouldn't be my first choice, in a perfect world, but it's online and goes down to K, I believe. I believe you can do a free trial for a month.

http://www.aleks.com

HTH
Amanda
Back to Top View Amanda's Profile Search for other posts by Amanda

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 18 2009 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

Amanda,

I'd love to hear more about Aleks math. Have you used it? You say it wouldn't be your first choice. Do you mind elaborating? I don't want to hijack this thread, but my son's biggest issue is extremely poor short-term memory (conceptual understanding is rough though too). Would Aleks be good in such a case?

Elizabeth

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2009 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote melanie

Hi, Yes, it's his memory... he just recently started remembering that an equal sign goes left to right and not up and down. Or which hand is the hour hand and which hand is the minute hand, or what a division sign looks like, that kind of thing. We'll work on something and he'll seem to get it, but the next day it's gone. He'll swear he's never even seen it. Then once we start, he'll remember somewhat, but not enough...takes lots and lots of repetition.

We have been using Saxon a bit more effectively, actually, the last couple of weeks. I've been using blank sheets to block off all but the problem he's working on, and we have been skipping the meeting part altogether. We are doing one side of the worksheet and then working on math facts using Math It, and that's all.

Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 18 2009 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

Melanie,

Are you describing my 8-year-old son????   

They sound like peas in a pod...

Elizabeth

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption

Amanda
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 18 2009 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote Amanda

ElizLeone wrote:

I'd love to hear more about Aleks math. Have you used it? You say it wouldn't be your first choice. Do you mind elaborating?
Elizabeth

I'm sorry to say that I don't remember it well enough to give you a good idea of what it's like.

For my ds (who has Asperger's and attention issues), I seem to remember that the presentation was too dry for him. At the time, he was about 9, and we were using Singapore, which he loved for its "mathematical thinking" aspect. I believe Aleks was too "here's how to do this kind of problem--now go do it" for him.

I will try to find a minute to poke around on the site and refresh my memory, but in the meantime, I wanted to send a quick reply.
Back to Top View Amanda's Profile Search for other posts by Amanda

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 18 2009 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

Thanks, Amanda. I appreciate your input.

Elizabeth

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption

12stars
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 30 2009 at 1:19am | IP Logged Quote 12stars

I was gong to post about this today but in the math forum. If I could multi quote everyone here I would, I really would, but because it is so many of you I won't. I am in the same circumstance as most of you.
My dd is 9 going into the 4th grade and does not like math at all. I have never had her tested for ADD but she really fits the criteria. So we learn a new concept and she forgets it a day later. My husband did not believe me till one day he tried to do 1 lesson with her. She forgot how to do it moments later...
So we have tried
MEP
Shiller Math
Mammoth Math
Time 4 Learning Math
K12
and random worksheets
She LOVES color and so I was thinking of
Horizons 3rd grade for her but I am just not sure. I feel disillusioned that I can even teach her math.
Ditto on the Oak Meadow I am going to give that a shot and hopefully she enjoys it and she does not feel over whelmed.

I really want to be able to stick to one thing for her, she is nothing like my other girls that like the math curriculums that they are doing and now that she is going into 4th grade sometimes I wonder if we will ever get it right for her. I am glad that this thread was started I did get positive affirmation that I am not the only one going through this.

Back to Top View 12stars's Profile Search for other posts by 12stars Visit 12stars's Homepage

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2009 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote melanie

Hi Claudia, well, I started this thread 2 months ago, and since then I've completely solved all our problems.

Haha! No, of course I didn't. Here's what we are doing though. And this is just what's working for us.

I am still using Saxon 3. I looked at lots of different programs, but I just didn't see anything that seemed like it was definitely going to work better, and my budget is so that I can't experiment much. I already own Saxon, so making that work was most attractive to me. And the thing that drives so many people batty with Saxon, the spiral review, is exactly what he needs with his very poor memory. So, on the advice of a friend, we cut the meeting out, and we cut out one side of the worksheets. I teach the new concept, and we do one side of the worksheet together, and he does a fact practice sheet. Much shorter. This is working for now...if he starts having too hard a time with new material, then I plan to slow it down and do the entire lesson, but broken up over two days.

When we finish Saxon 3, I will take the tests from Saxon 54 and start giving him the tests until he scores less than a 90%, and that might let us skip a bit at the beginning of Saxon 54. In this way, if with maturity he is able to retain this stuff better, we can move along more quickly and maybe eventually he will be on the grade level he is "supposed" to be on.

Maybe not. Maybe he'll always lag behind in math. Then it's my job to learn to accept that.

We are still using the blank sheets of paper to blocck off all but the problem he is working on. That's been great. I'm also thinking about getting one of those 3 sided science fair posterboards and letting him kind of wrap that around his workspace so that he can block out some distractions.

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2015 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

Bumping this.....looking for a 7th grade math program for someone with ADHD. Actually, I have someone who is borderline ADHD. We're using Teaching Textbooks right now, and how they explain how to do some equations just has too many steps. My husband and I end up showing her shorter ways that we learned. I would prefer something on-line, but textbooks may be better...less distractions to click all around.

Thank you!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version