Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: beautiful, beautiful story (Lighthouses) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 13 2009 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

... doing lighthouses anyone? We recently picked up a treasure in the gift shop of a local lighthouse here and are sure glad we picked this and not one of the 3-4 other children's books they had!

I posted a review on it at amazon. Some of you have probably already heard of it. It's called Abbie Against the Storm. Bonus: true story. I love GOOD historical kiddy books...

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2009 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Another great book about lighthouses is The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge. It fictionalizes the story of the building of the George Washington Bridge. It has a lovely message about the importance of making one's own contribution in the world, whether it seems large or small. Honestly, it always makes me cry because I feel like that little lighthouse sometimes and the hopeful message that my contribution in the "smallness" of my own home and family is important is encouraging.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2009 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

The description at amazon reminds me of Birdie's Lighthouse which we really enjoyed.

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2009 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

I second Ellie's recommendation of Abbie Against the Storm. It tells the same story as Keep the Light Burning Abbie (a Laura Berquist recommendation), but it is more appealing.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 02 2009 at 12:23am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Ellie - we did lighthouse picturebooks last summer. I also really enjoyed Abbie Against the Storm. I thought it had stirring illustrations that captured the darkness and the storm very well - “haunting." When you first posted this in April I wanted to post our books - I had written them all down with summaries, but couldn't find it. Anyway I just ran across it in a notebook I had misplaced, so I'll add lighthouse picturebook list (including those mentioned above).

Keep the Lights Burning Abbie - Peter & Connie Roop (Early Read History Series)

Birdie's Lighthouse – Deborah Hopkinson
Shape of book is long and tall like a lighthouse – fun lovely old-fashioned illustrations, format of a diary (drew on 19th century lighthouse keeper diaries). In the book the fictional character is named Bertha which means "shining." It is based on the stories of:
1. Grace Darling - Longstone Lighthouse, England
2. Mrs. Thomas Bray –Thatcher’s Island Lighthouse, MA
3. Ida Lewis –Lime Rock Lighthouse, RI
4. Abigail Burgess - Matinicus Rock Lighthouse, ME

Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge – Hildegarde Swift
Lovely, nostalgic. Classic 1942 tale of a small light house in the Hudson River and the changes that come with progress. Reminiscent of Virginia Lee Burton's Little House

The Lighthouse Keeper’s Daughter - Arielle North Olson
Based on the story of the same Abbie Burgess at Matinicus Rock Lighthouse off the coast of Maine in mid-1850s

The Lighthouse Children – Syd Hoff (Early Reader)
Humorous story of a former lighthouse couple in their new life, and how they try to recapture the lighthouse life style

Lighthouse: A Story of Remembrance – Robert Munsch
Set in modern times. Details a father/daughter visit to a lighthouse in the middle of the night, like he had done with his father as a little boy

The Lighthouse Cat– Sue Stainton
Vibrant illustrations from a cat's perspective of lighthouse living and how their cat eyes, and wails saved a small fishing boat when the lighthouse lights go out.

Safely to Shore: America's Lighthouses - Iris Van Rynbach
Each page details a different lighthouse, with illustrations, history, interesting facts.

Beacons of Light: Lighthouses - Gail Gibbons
Classic Gail Gibbons style - thoroughly covers the topic of lighhouses, including history, purpose, technology of light and sound with lots of great labeled illustrations. Includes stories about keepers and specific lighthouses from around the world. Facts and trivia page at end of book.

Who Sees the Lighthouse? - Ann Fearrington
Counting book that looks at various people and animals that see the lighhouses from different vantage points. Fun collage illustrations with each lighthouse depicted being a real lighthouse in the US. The inside cover pages list all the lighthouses in the U.S. by state.

Jules the Lighthouse Dog - P T Custard
Story of a dog who lives at a lighthouse but dreams of being someplace else, and the fateful day that causes him to change his point of view.

Lighthouse Seeds - Pamela Love
A family is transfered to a remote lighthouse on a rocky island where nothing grows. The young daughter hopes to brighten her mother's days and endeavors with the help her uncle, a fisherman who brings some bags of soil, to plant some seeds in the rocky crevices. She transforms the island for the season and not only lifts her mother's spirits but those of passing fishermen. Based on the experiences of keepers at Mount Desert Rock, also refered to by local fishermen as "God's rock garden." Reminds me a bit of Deborah Hopkinson's A Packet of Seeds.

Lighthouse Lullaby - Kelly Briggs
Poetic look at lighthouse living through a day and night. Lovely soft illsutrations. Inspired by a family photo album of a former keeper.

The Sea Chest - Toni Buzzeo
Fictional but based on legend of a shipwrecked vessel off coast of Maine. Lighthouse keeper had been unable to save the vessel, but found a sea chest wrapped in mattresses washed ashore, holding a baby girl with a note committing her to God's hands. Keeper and wife adopted the baby and named her Seabourne.

Sisters of Scituate Light - Stephen Krensky
Based on two sisters' experience at a Massechusetts lighthouse during the War of 1812 where they use their wits to outsmart approaching British ships.

There is a whole English Lightkeeper's series of picture books by Ronda and David Armitage

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 02 2009 at 12:46am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We just learned about Grace Darling a few months ago...which led to Abbie Against the Storm, as I remembered it mentioned here, which led to a little Rabbit Trail for us......I recognize a few of these, but looking forward to seeing more of them! Thank you, Mary! Great list!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 02 2009 at 1:10am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

And you're so lucky, Suzanne, cuz you can actually see some lighthouses...not too many here in the Rocky Mountains ...

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Alison
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 02 2009 at 2:28am | IP Logged Quote Alison

No books to add but when we did this study a few years back it was very family history orientated as my mother's grandfather was a lighthouse keeper in New Zealand. They were Irish Catholics and lived in very remote parts of New Zealand mostly as the only Europeans in the district. I marvel that despite very infrequently receiving the Eucharist their youngest daughter became a nun. There are lots of family "legends" too. One concerning my grandfather at ten having to ride for a great distance to get a doctor when one of the children was seriously ill. Oh and also he (naturally) grew up speaking Maori fluently...albeit with an Irish accent!!
Anyway just thought I'd share
Here is a site about it
Back to Top View Alison's Profile Search for other posts by Alison Visit Alison's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 02 2009 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

MaryM wrote:
And you're so lucky, Suzanne, cuz you can actually see some lighthouses...not too many here in the Rocky Mountains ...

Yes, that's true!!!!    That's probably why you read so many books about them

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 02 2009 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Just started a new thread in rabbit trails for all resources lighthouse oriented! Join us there for more lighthosue discussion and unit study ideas.

Alison, that family history connections is so cool! What a great personal connection you have.

Our Domestic Church

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Bumping this up for
Lighthouse: a story of remembrance from Mary's list. We just read it this weekend- it is beautiful story.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 25 2011 at 2:11am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

SuzanneG wrote:
We just learned about Grace Darling a few months ago...

In searching "weather/storm" books for another thread, I found this newly published book about Grace Darling.

Gracie the Lighthouse Cat

Brief text follows a mother cat looking for her kitten in a storm near the lighthouse. In the background you see vivid images of the rescue by Grace Darling and her father of the survivors of a sunken ship.

Our Domestic Church

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2011 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Hey, so glad you updated this, Mary! We are planning to study the regions of the US next year. I'm going to add lighthouses to our study of New England!

I was recently reading a (free) kindle book about Robert Louis Stevenson and it had a section describing his father's work building lighthouses off the coast of Scotland. Wow! It was incredible to read the dangers and difficulties of just building those structures. I think the title is The Story of Robert Louis Stevenson, but I'll link later! Mobile devices aren't so good for linking!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 6:11am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Lighthouse Dog to the Rescue

This is the true story of Spot, a springer spaniel who learned to ring the lighthouse fog bell at Owl Lighthouse in Maine. The illustrations are wonderful- especially the snow scenes. We loved reading how Spot came to the rescue.

dogs lighthouse Maine family snow fog

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Melinda, thanks for keeping the thread alive...looks good. Reminds me that there is a new book this year that should be added.

The Bravest Woman in America by Marissa Moss

Story of Ida Lewis of Lime Rock Lighthouse in Newport, Rhode Island. She is one of the famous female lighthouse keepers of the past. Good story.

Our Domestic Church

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 18 2011 at 12:12am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Adding this one to our great list of Lighthouse Picture books:

Lighthouse Christmas

I just requested it from the library.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic