Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Sonlight for High School Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 27 2009 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

stellamaris wrote:
O
On transcripts for high school, I have found this pretty difficult to do. It is really important to keep a careful record of courses, texts/books used, grades,etc. Some colleges asked for a reading list for the entire high school period, others wanted detailed syllabi for the courses we did. I can't emphasize enough keeping the records carefully! If you can get a transcript through Kolbe, Seton, or some other acknowledged organization, it would be a huge help when it is time to apply to colleges.

I found this to be the case, too,though as long as we kept those records, the homemade transcript was accepted almost everywhere. Community college courses with good grades gave credibility to our homespun transcripts. With the rest of my kids, I'm keeping careful lists of every single book read !

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2009 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote Martha

Quote:
I've been really nervous about Kolbe's literature and history. My dd can be hard to motivate sometimes, the mere fact that something is assigned doesn't do it for her , and what Kolbe has for the hs years in those subjects seem daunting.

yes! they do seem daunting don't they? BUT, I love that Kolbe uses actual sources whenever possible. and I will say the course plans are VERY informative and helpful. At least that's how they look to me so far. I've bought this for 9th grade which we won't be starting until July or August.

I'm really starting get the Iwantist...

I want Didache
I want Epic
I want Kolbe lit guides after all...

How about I just do it all and 9th grade takes 3 years to complete and we're dirt broke by the end of it?   

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2009 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote Martha

Elizabeth wrote:
stellamaris wrote:
O
On transcripts for high school, I have found this pretty difficult to do. It is really important to keep a careful record of courses, texts/books used, grades,etc. Some colleges asked for a reading list for the entire high school period, others wanted detailed syllabi for the courses we did. I can't emphasize enough keeping the records carefully! If you can get a transcript through Kolbe, Seton, or some other acknowledged organization, it would be a huge help when it is time to apply to colleges.

I found this to be the case, too,though as long as we kept those records, the homemade transcript was accepted almost everywhere. Community college courses with good grades gave credibility to our homespun transcripts. With the rest of my kids, I'm keeping careful lists of every single book read !

oh my. talk about discouraging someone from wanting to "do it all" (which we all know is impossible anyways) can you imagine the list and descriptions?! How's a 30 page transcript sound?

sorry goofed in typing ..

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2009 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Martha what is Epic?

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2009 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Following this thread w/ interest. We use MODG as our skeleton and SL Catalog is wedged into our plans.

We've had the good grace this year to have a solid co-op started primarily for our high schoolers w/ core subjects being offered.

Garrett is being offered a stellar education because of the generosity of other hsing moms who are proficient and passionate at what they teach.

He had the Ilaid and Odyssey offered this year.
Next year will be Shakespeare and The Canterbury Tales.

I have been teaching the high school religion class. We were supposed to do two Fr. Laux's books but the discussion is so heavy and powerful in a group setting that we've only covered one book "Chief Truths of the Faith"...and "The Hound of Heaven" poem.

My plans for next year...along w/ Fr. Laux's "Morality" at co-op...is to offer Scott Hahn's CD and DVD presentations at home w/ Garrett.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2009 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Has anyone ever considered putting together something like Kolbe, but with a more detailed and unified plan and a few high-interest books such as Sonlight uses?

Any takers

I also have been looking at the Kolbe selections but am afraid that they seem so steep- I wasn't educated classically and the books look so daunting. My up and coming 9th grader is a strong reader but not a very deep thinker (he has always matured slowly). So I am a little afraid of the full on load of classics. I think mixing them up with some of the 'high interest' sonlight books would really help, although he tends to read all those Sonlight books on his free time if I leave them lying around (hmmm, wish the other kids did that! It would make it so easy )

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2009 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Kristie 4 wrote:

I also have been looking at the Kolbe selections but am afraid that they seem so steep- I wasn't educated classically and the books look so daunting. My up and coming 9th grader is a strong reader but not a very deep thinker (he has always matured slowly). So I am a little afraid of the full on load of classics.

Kristie,
I've had the same problem w/ both my boys and started out hsing w/ Kolbe. The classical bend was too much overload for their testorsterone-overloaded brains.

I would never in a million years thought they could learn and appreciate a classical education. I certainly wasn't able to excite them w/ it. Hands-on and discussion was what worked for us.

Then we had this literature major come into the picture w/ her enthusiasm and her full-knowledge of all classic and epic tales and he has learned SO MUCH from her. The teacher really does make a huge difference.

So where does that leave us moms who are more prone to living literature, hands-on activities, and unschooling/real learning opportunities? and the ones who are often without access to a co-op or literature teacher?

Ah, that's where SL comes in.

I've given my boys the Illustrated Classics during their elementary years and junior high years so they'll be familiar w/ the various classics.

You'd be surprised how this simple exposure has come into play with my oldest having a life-long love of "Robinson Crusoe"...and went on to read the original on his own...with no teacher or classroom prompting, persuasion, or coaxing.

But we're talking about the high school years here. I'm eager to hear more from all of you...

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2009 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

KackyK wrote:

3-Books, my whole family, is strongly Protestant. I liked what you mentioned above (sorry I'm not good at figuring out the quote thing) working through the more Protestant books so as to be able to juxtapose them with Catholic teaching. I'm very interested in doing that as well. My family seems to have one of everyone (hehe) strong Methodists, Episcopals, Presbyterians and strongest of all So.Baptists who won't even let me talk about how to cook let alone mention religion. My oldest dc are seeing this and I can tell get a bit nervous around them. My dc have done a good job with apologetics, but I think it is really important too to understand where the Protestants are coming from too. kwim?

Okay, long enough for now...I'll be back with more ???s I'm sure!

Thanks ladies for this thread!

I'd say that following along with us as we talk about core 200 would be a good option for you, then. We'll get it worked out, I am sure, and usually each family individualizes at least a little bit from whatever we come up with here.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2009 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Elizabeth wrote:

On transcripts for high school

We use an outside provider. My first child has plans that are more vocational/trade oriented and I didn't want him to have to use a homemade transcript, knowing that trade schools might be less familiar with something like that.

We use www.narhs.org/. They aren't Catholic, but they are extremely flexible, allowing me to list religion courses and more importantly, allowing me almost complete freedom to design whatever is best for my child. THey are also much more affordable than options like Clonlara. In the end, the freedom was more important to me than a transcript from a Catholic provider. Kolbe wouldn't let me count anything from 8th grade on a high school transcript, and MODG and Seton didn't offer enough outside options besides their own programs.

~Books

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2009 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

KackyK wrote:
Martha what is Epic?

it's a church history program donna marie referenced on page 2 of this thread that looks very interesting!

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2009 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Martha wrote:

I want Didache
I want Epic
I want Kolbe lit guides after all...

We'll be using some of the lit guides from Hillside Education.

My decision w/ Epic was easily made.
I can't afford it.

mom to 5

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2009 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

*sigh* sadly a lot of our decision is based on the cost too.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2009 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Martha wrote:
I want Didache

Meant to mention...I'm really liking the looks of this and it seems more affordable. But wouldn't Fr. Laux, Beginning Apologetics (which my dh loves), Story of the Church, and CD/DVDs by Scott Hahn be as fruitful and rich enough?

mom to 5

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2009 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Cay Gibson wrote:

My decision w/ Epic was easily made.
I can't afford it.

Me neither! It looks good though...

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 27 2009 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

Cay Gibson wrote:
Meant to mention...I'm really liking the looks of this and it seems more affordable. But wouldn't Fr. Laux, Beginning Apologetics (which my dh loves), Story of the Church, and CD/DVDs by Scott Hahn be as fruitful and rich enough?

Cay,
Which Scott Hahn CDs/DVDs do you intend to use?

Martha in VA

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

Lisa in NH
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 28 2009 at 12:12am | IP Logged Quote Lisa in NH

Bookswithtea wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:

On transcripts for high school

[QUOTE]We use www.narhs.org/. They aren't Catholic, but they are extremely flexible, allowing me to list religion courses and more importantly, allowing me almost complete freedom to design whatever is best for my child.

We switched to NARHS this year after 6 years with STAA (oldest daughter "graduated" with STAA diploma). STAA just wasn't right for our ds--although a good program. I am VERY pleased with NARHS. It offers us lots of flexibility, guidance and is accredited to boot!
Back to Top View Lisa in NH's Profile Search for other posts by Lisa in NH Visit Lisa in NH's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2009 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

A question about SL, is it possible to get the different components separate? For example could I get the history guide without the rest, or just the literature?

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2009 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Natalia wrote:
A question about SL, is it possible to get the different components separate? For example could I get the history guide without the rest, or just the literature?

Yes. They just offer discounts for buying the whole thing or the "core".

I own so much of it, I just buy what I need now.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

jennthmg
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 28 2009 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote jennthmg

Kristie 4 wrote:

Has anyone ever considered putting together something like Kolbe, but with a more detailed and unified plan and a few high-interest books such as Sonlight uses?

Any takers )

I'm interested! After doing my own "thing" for classical, I've been immersing myself in highschool for Kolbe, MODG, SL, TWTM, AA, and anything else that looks interesting and KNOW I'll end up putting my own "thing" together or modifying and would love help.

Cay said : I've given my boys the Illustrated Classics during their elementary years and junior high years so they'll be familiar w/ the various classics.
I've done the same thing with very similar results. Even my I-don't-like-reading-like-the-other-kids kid has a few favorite classic books she can't wait to jump into and read the original.
Back to Top View jennthmg's Profile Search for other posts by jennthmg

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2009 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Natalia wrote:

Do you mean IG's or sets of books? Sets of books can be ordered in any configuration, but the IG's are only sold together for the cores.

~Books

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version