Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: St. Joseph Feast Day ideas? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 14 2009 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Are there any things that we could do at home that are traditional for this day? This is one of the new days I've added to our family's calendar, and I just realized its only a few days away and I don't have a clue? Any traditional foods or anything I could pull off quickly???

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 14 2009 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Catholic Culture has loads of recipes. Probably the one that comes to mind immediately is Cream Puffs, or St. Joseph Sfinge, which are done all sorts of ways.

The Virtual St. Joseph Altar has lots of recipes. She also has on her coloring page a .pdf file to cut and color and make a paper version of an altar.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 16 2009 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Thanks, Jenn! I'm going to check out the links this afternoon.

~Books

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 16 2009 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Jenn, I was just looking at the recipes, but I didn't see any mention of *why* these foods would be traditionally eaten on St. Joseph's Day? Am I missing something? Oh...the Catholic Culture link didn't work...

PS. LOVE the pdf file with the coloring pictures for a St. Joseph Altar!

~Books

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 16 2009 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Books,

The links works, they just were adding a new server over the weekend.

I'll have to get back to you on the WHYs of the food. Many recipes are the ones used for the St. Joseph's Altar, and they do have some significances for those. Traditionally meatless, because it was Lent. Some of the recipes, like the cream puffs, sfinge, I think is one of those feast day foods from Italy, that has no significance, just tradition, if that makes sense.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 16 2009 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

It looked to me like everything had a decidedly Italian bent. That's ok with me...I love biscotti! Just wondering how to explain it all to my 1st generation Catholic kids...

OK, the Catholic Culture link is working now. Off to read more!

~Books

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 17 2009 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bookswithtea wrote:
It looked to me like everything had a decidedly Italian bent. That's ok with me...I love biscotti! Just wondering how to explain it all to my 1st generation Catholic kids...

Don't know if you found information to explain this already...

Basically St. Joseph is particularly revered in Italy. I have seen this tied to a novena to him which resulted in deliverance from a famine in Sicily. So it is the Italians (Sicialians in particular) that celebrate his feast day big time. The Italian-Americans, large numbers of whome were Sicilian, brought the customs to America. Therefore Italian foods are prominent in the feasting.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

pixilated_momma
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 17 2009 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote pixilated_momma

I'm also in the planning stages for St. Joseph.

Right now, I think we're going to color our St. Joseph paper doll (http://www.paperdali.com/dalis.html#holidays) and also, to "re-create" the feeling of being carpenter-y, I'm going to get some bars of soap and let the kids pretend to whittle them. LOL

That's all I've got right now. Sigh.

Back to Top View pixilated_momma's Profile Search for other posts by pixilated_momma Visit pixilated_momma's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 17 2009 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
Bookswithtea wrote:

Don't know if you found information to explain this already...

Basically St. Joseph is particularly revered in Italy. I have seen this tied to a novena to him which resulted in deliverance from a famine in Sicily. So it is the Italians (Sicialians in particular) that celebrate his feast day big time. The Italian-Americans, large numbers of whome were Sicilian, brought the customs to America. Therefore Italian foods are prominent in the feasting.

Glad you stepped in, Mary. The Italians and Sicilians do have a special love for St. Joseph. The tavola di San Giuseppe (St. Joseph's Table or Altar) is a very popular tradition here in America.

I did find in Valencia, Spain, there is a festival, La Falla de San Chusep or Fallas de San José (or Fallas Valencia, which are pyres or bonfires for St. Joseph's Day. It's "said to have originated in medieval times when members of the Carpenter's Guid annually swept out shops and made bonfires of accumulated chips and trash. The burnings were in honor of Saint Joseph, [foster]father of Jesus and patron of carpenters." (Dorothy Spicer)

The first link has a few recipes for a Valencian type of meal.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 17 2009 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

pixilated_momma wrote:
...to "re-create" the feeling of being carpenter-y, I'm going to get some bars of soap and let the kids pretend to whittle them. LOL

What a good idea. I've been trying to think of something "carpenter-y" myself for our homeschool activity day. I was thinking along the lines of a game with a building or carpenter theme but laughed when I thought of googling hammers, saws, games - just doesn't sound safe... . So maybe making something wood would be a good idea. I need it to be cheap materials - popsicle sticks??? Ideas?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 17 2009 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
pixilated_momma wrote:
...to "re-create" the feeling of being carpenter-y, I'm going to get some bars of soap and let the kids pretend to whittle them. LOL

What a good idea. I've been trying to think of something "carpenter-y" myself for our homeschool activity day. I was thinking along the lines of a game with a building or carpenter theme but laughed when I thought of googling hammers, saws, games - just doesn't sound safe... . So maybe making something wood would be a good idea. I need it to be cheap materials - popsicle sticks??? Ideas?

From another thread, how about making some Stations of the Cross with popsicle sticks? Or an outdoor shrine? I've always wanted to make some of those.

Jody
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2009 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote Jody

How about Sloppy Joes in honor of Saint Joe?

That's what we'll be having. You can see I'm not exactly a gourmet cook.

Blessings, Jody
Back to Top View Jody's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Visit Jody's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 17 2009 at 11:35pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Jody wrote:

That's what we'll be having. You can see I'm not exactly a gourmet cook.

Don't need to be a gourmet good - that's a great idea! We should post it at Catholic Cuisine.

Our Domestic Church

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 17 2009 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Jody wrote:

A friend of mine calls them "Untidy Josephs" instead of "Sloppy Joe"

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 18 2009 at 6:07am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Since St. Joseph is the patron of unwed mothers, a project for or prayers at a crisis pregnancy center might be appropriate.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 18 2009 at 7:10am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Books

I have some ideas here although most Jenn has linked to already.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 18 2009 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

We are making popsicle stik St. Jospeh grttos for his feast...and the little ones will spend the day hammering golf tees into styrofoam blocks with rubber mallets.
Shaped bread is also a tradition on the St. Joseph's altar, but we are headed out of town tomorrow afternoon and my time is limited for baking, so we are going to roll store bought yeast roll doung into shapes and bake them for breakfast. Our table will be set like a mini altar.

Fish dishes are also traditional on altars, and we usually make Redfish Courtboullion for St. Joseph's dinner, but we'll be in New Orleans, so I think we'll just head out for a great seafood dinner somewhere.

Happy feasting to you all.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 18 2009 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

We're going to set up a small St. Joseph's altar to honor St. Joseph, and we're hoping to bake some special breads for the altar.

I loved Maria's idea of carving soap, so we're getting out the sculpey and the carving tools. As a surprise for daddy and to honor how hard he works for us, we're going to tidy the garage/workshop area for him for when he gets home (we're not allowed to touch tools , but we can sweep and pick up all the sand pails and cars that end up in his wood bin. )

I'm making dijon encrusted cod (or maybe tilapia since that is traditionally what the apostles fished for, and it might be fresher at the market!) - the grains of dijon look like sawdust to me. Isn't that a hilarious connection?! And, I'm going to try my hand at St. Joseph's Sfinge if I can get to the market to gather everything I need!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 18 2009 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

We've done the cream puffs (sfinge) in years past but I thought we'd try the rice fritters (frittele) that Vitz has in Continual Feast.

We'll also head to Mass, read books about the good man and I'll have the kids create a play about Joseph from the Angel's visit thru the Flight into Egypt ... we'll stress obdience to the Divine Will as one of St. Joseph's many attributes .

Does anyone have a nice coloring page of St. Joseph? I'd like to do a shrinky dink ala the Marian ones I've been doing?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 18 2009 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I have ended up deciding on these activities for our homeschool event:

St. Joseph "Flight in Egypt" relay - using a staff/walking stick as the baton to pass off.

Carpentry Corner - craft sticks available to build whatever, will include samples of projects such as the grotto.

Shell Game - using a fava bean under the cups

Coloring Corner - self-explanitory

Read Politi's Song of the Swallows

We'll aslo be doing the procession from church, blessing and explaining the altar, and having a potluck luncheon.

EDITED TO ADD: Oh, and since St. Joseph was obedient I was thinking along the lines of a Simon Says or Follow the Leader type game adapted to St. Joseph if we need an extra activity to use up time.

And also having tables for quiet card games or board games, emphasising St. Joseph's silence (we have a pretty boisterous bunch of boys, I'd like to "settle" down).

Our Domestic Church

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version