Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Share Ambleside / Mater Amabilis Plans Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

*******Moderator Note******** Use this thread to share any Ambleside or Mater Amabilis Plans you've made for Fall '09......feel free to link any blog posts!

********************************Now, back to Nancy:

Has anyone used Ambleside Online for middle school or high school? If you have, I would love to know what you thought, what your experiences were, etc. I am considering it for 8th grade next year and possibly for high school.

Thanks.
Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

I used a modified version of Year 7 and Year 8 with my now-16 year old when he was that age.   I am also planning to use it with my present 7th grader -- right now he's in a lower year because I'm trying to phase him into it.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Bumping this up now that the board is in spring "planning for next year" mode. Is anyone using Ambleside next year with their children?   For what grades?

All this term I have been using Ambleside with 2 of my 3 children who are still homeschooling.

------------------
Kieron is in 7th grade but I put him in the last part of Year 4 because that continued our chronological sequence and I wanted to phase in slowly.

Next year he will do one of the versions of Pre-Year 7.

Then in 9th grade, if we continue this way, he will do Year 7.   

------------------

Patrick is either an old Kindergartener or a young first grader.   He turned six in December. He is fairly precocious in reading and math and has a good attention span for listening to read alouds. So I started him in Year 1, planning to take the next year and a half to go through it at a leisurely pace.

------------

Aidan is 9 and has special needs. He is not ready for Year 1 yet.    He is doing a sort of Montessori-inspired mix of things.   He loves flashcards -- nomenclature, etc. So that is mostly what I do with him.

------------------

I thought maybe if there is anyone else using Ambleside, or a Mater Amabilis/ Ambleside combo, that we could use this thread to exchange notes and plans.

Take Up and Read

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Here is another Ambleside thread -- Sarah and Suzanne both wrote great detailed posts on there.

Take Up and Read

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 02 2009 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I've looked at the Year 8 books and assignments pretty carefully, and I love what I've seen. DD13 is a deep thinker, but she is also a person who likes lists. If I give her assignments from a more textbook-y viewpoint, she races and finishes primarily for the thrill of checking things off her list. IMHO, she's wasting a lot of energy that would be better used learning how to think about and synthesize what she's read for school. She is really good at that kind of processing in other areas of her life, but she really needs to apply that approach to history, literature, etc. I love that things don't seem so "boxable", and I'm sure that once she starts doing things this way, she will enjoy it as well. I'm planning to have her finish out 7th grade using the Term One History materials for Year 8, and then keep moving on, probably using Year 9 History during the third term of 8th grade.

Next year, she will have some "over and done with" work to provide a balance, since she does like that kind of thing. Teaching Textbooks Algebra I, a physical science class taught by someone else. We'll continue with French and keep grammar concepts current using English the Easy Way. Religion will be Confirmation Prep class at the parish, supplemented by saint biographies. She's trying out for a drama troupe, so that will be fun if she gets in.

Willa, or anyone else with Ambleside Online experience, please tell me if this sounds about right, and also please share any suggestions or modifications that come to mind.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 11:39pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Bumping this again....for anyone to post how they are using Ambleside, Mater Amabilis or a Combo of both!!!

Nancy------How did dd13 do with your plans from last Spring?   

We had a pretty good term last spring/summer.....I was getting used to 2 girls that were reading on their own (I thought I'd never write that ).....so combining the read alouds and independent reading was new to me.   Hoping I'll get a chance to post later about details and my crazy way of organizing this.   

This "fall term" we're finishing up Year 1-AO and slowly starting with some of the readings for Year 2, with Mater Amabilis-1A....religion, geography, some lit thrown in! I have 2 daughters that do pretty much the same work.....ages 7 and 8.5.

And, Nancy and Willa.....I'm going to change the Title of the thread to "Share Ambleside/Mater Amabilis Plans" .....hoping some others will chime in....

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 12:27am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Hi Suzanne,

Here are my First Year Plans

I don't have Year 8 listed out that way yet, but I hope to, soon.

I have some more plans listed as docs in this post

I started Year 1 with Patrick last spring and he did well with it. We continued at a slow pace during the summer and plan to start our fall term next week (early, I know, but the schools in our area start on the 13th!)

My 8th grader is using an AO combined year 5/6 for the first two terms of the year, and if all goes well he is going to start Year 7 by the last term of this year. Here is the reading list for the first two terms

I'm borrowing some things from LCC, too. For instance, I'll probably have Lord of the RIngs for a read-aloud. I think my 6 year old will enjoy that since he's already quite interested in Middle Earth.

ETA: I uploaded a Year at a Glance for my Year 1 and Year 8 children showing how I modified Ambleside for them this year.

Take Up and Read

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Thanks, Willa! Your Year at a Glance is sort of how I did this too. That helped me to see it like that.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Now how did I miss this thread originally? Willa, your lists are so helpful! I like that format.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Well, Jenn.....I did change the title and you probably saw Nancy's question at the beginning about middle/high school and thought it was a bit far off .....THAT's how you probably missed it

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I'm so glad this thread got bumped. Willa's plans along with Jennifer's new post about her morning basket have me making all sorts of lists

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Here are our Fall Plans for 2nd/3rd grade. AO-Year 1/2. MA-Level 1A.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

SuzanneG wrote:
Here are our Fall Plans for 2nd/3rd grade. AO-Year 1/2. MA-Level 1A.

What is your link for the weather scrapbook? It didn't work for me.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm glad you asked, Lindsay because I clicked it as well and it's a dead link. I was going to email you later tonight, Suzanne! My kids LOVE all things weather!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I think I fixed it, but here it is.....it's in the lessons plans for Earth Studies / Weather at MA

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

SuzanneG wrote:
I think I fixed it, but here it is.....it's in the lessons plans for Earth Studies / Weather at MA

Argh!! The formatting on those tables are driving me crazy! OK I fixed it --it's not perfect but it's readable.

The old page is here: http://materamabilis.org/earthstudies.html (but will eventually be gone)

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

MicheleQ wrote:
SuzanneG wrote:

Argh!! The formatting on those tables are driving me crazy! OK I fixed it --it's not perfect but it's readable.

The old page is here: http://materamabilis.org/earthstudies.html (but will eventually be gone)

Thanks, Michelle! The new site looks nice:)

Just curious, but do you use Mater Amabilis? If you find other sources, do you ever add them or is MA what it is?

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

CrunchyMom wrote:
Just curious, but do you use Mater Amabilis? If you find other sources, do you ever add them or is MA what it is?

I do use it (though not always as written) and I really, really want to update a lot of things and get those upper levels finished but my life in the last few years has been just so unpredictable that it hasn't gotten done. I have been working on it the last few months (my first priority is to get everything transferred and linked from the old site to the new) but I know better than to make any promises because my life is just too . . .well, unpredictable.

I do welcome input though and am always looking for updated resource suggestions.

Thanks!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 23 2014 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

This is an old thread, but thought I'd bump it in case anyone wants to share their modified Ambleside or MA plans.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 23 2014 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I am doing a lot of MA with some Ambleside or other substitutions.

This is the first year we are combining a history. I figure since Ambleside does Our Island Story early on and MA has is switching with TCOO depending on where you live, it would make sense to combine the ages on these readings. We'll do two years of OIS, this year and next, and then I think I might do a year of listening to Vol. 4 of Story of the World before picking up two years of TCOO. That is far out, so who knows, but it does seem like a good routine for Morning Time and getting the history readings in easily for the non-readers. I have bunch of the supplemental readings from both places on our read aloud list this year. Other morning time readings include Tanglewood Tales, Arabian Nights, Grimm's, The Little Duke, and Robin Hood.

I'm planning for our three nature focuses over the year to be Insects, Stars, and Trees. We'll be reading Children of Summer: Henri Fabre's Insects (Andersen) and Insect Life (Buckley), then The Stars (H.A. Rey) and Once Upon a Starry Night, and Tree in the Trail...which is all I've come up with for trees. Any good tree read alouds out there?

We are also reading First Communion and After altogether, which will be the foundation for our religion this year.

My 4/5th grader is also reading the MA suggested Famous Men of Rome as well as Augustus Caesar's World. I am excited about using the MA suggestion Pearls of Peace and having that be our first introduction to written narrations. Ds has a real devotion to the rosary (he picked up and read my copy of Karen Edmisten's book and uses it for his devotions), and I think he will enjoy it. For saints readings, we are using the Lang Book of Saints and Heroes and a biography each term to coordinate with history (Helena, Dominic, and Louis),

Fantasy is not his first choice for literature, and they were the bulk of the books from both lists that he has not already read on his own, so I decided to stretch him a bit and assign The Midnight Folk, The Little White Horse, and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

I decided to adopt the Ambleside model for poetry and am using their poets and lists to print a poem a day on the back of the daily checklist sheet.

For Geography, he is reading The Book of Marvels. I found it this year for a great price, and I just think he'll love it so much, I can't wait For Science, he is following the MA plans pretty closely, though I am adding in Science in Ancient Rome and maybe the Sassafrass Science Anatomy book at the end of the year.

My younger two are getting a lot of their school in through our Morning Time readings, and for their independent reading, I am doing mostly audio books. It worked really well at the end of this past year. I set up a blog with links to the readings on librivox or other site and had them organized by daily assignments. It made them so independent! Saints stories are the hardest to find, but I was able to otherwise find some great things at Catholic Audio Books.

My 2/3rd grader who is not reading yet will be listening to The Red Fairy Book, The Princess and the Goblins, The Jungle Book, and The Secret Garden. Lit2Go is another great audio site, which also has the text there on the screen making it easy to follow along, and I chose his poets based on what was available there. I'll be using Sound Beginnings with him but use the materials from Logic of English so he can use cursive instead of print.

My Ker will have his own pieces to listen to including The Beatrix Potter books (we have the Jim Weiss audio on audible as well as the hard copy for him to hold), the Pinkney Aesop, the Blue Fairy Book, and Dr. Doolittle, King of the Golden River, and Pinocchio. He'll be doing the Logic of English Foundations program.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version