Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: How we think - 3. distortions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Ok, maybe a silly question...but can you describe exactly how you "catch" the thoughts and replace them?

I am working on memorizing scripture that gives me the TRUTH to fight the lie that the enemy gives me...but I don't feel good at it yet.

I was just wondering if you would describe what that looks like...in your own mind. (hee hee!)

Thank you for your encouragement...I think alot of those first steps I am taking. I am praying about a friend...it seems that is my hardest one, sometimes I feel so alone!!

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Your question isn't silly at all, Candace! My explanations are lacking clarity .

What it looks like most often for me is this. I'm moody or I'm not fulfilling my duties or I'm over-reacting in a very emotional way. From there I back-peddle. My guess is that I'm off track because of a distorted throught (there are exceptions to this, such as when one is grieving, more on that later). Let's see...

I'll make up an example based heavily on past experience . Let's say that right now I'm late for lunch and I'm not walking away from the computer. I snap at my ds to be quiet while I type and I'm feeling frustrated because my reply isn't "just right." OK, my poor behavior and mood finally have my attention and I know my tendencies. I stop and "catch" my distorted thoughts... "It will only take a minute to finish this reply (minimization)." "I need to re-read this reply one more time to see if it makes sense (should/perfection)." "I'll never be able to explain this (future-telling)." The truth is, "This reply is going to take some time and thought. My reply doesn't have to be perfect. I may not be able to explain this material and process well, but I can try, and God's grace can more than make up for my inadequacies." So, I feel relieved. I goofed but I can make things right quickly. I'll eat lunch, apologize to ds for snapping and give him a hug, and I'll say a quick prayer and send the reply off as "good enough."

Is that what you had in mind, Candace? Keep up the good work and I'm praying that you find a confidant. You are not alone .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Yes, Angie, that makes perfect sense!

And by the way, I have had that same exact experience way too many times! (the part about needing to get up and do something but snapping at the children so I can finish typing a response!)

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

CandaceC wrote:
And by the way, I have had that same exact experience way too many times! (the part about needing to get up and do something but snapping at the children so I can finish typing a response!)

I'm not at all . The cool part is that after going through the same scenarios over and over again, I'm getting quicker to do what is right because I've "thought through" the scenario enough times. For example, now I don't even try to trick myself into saying a thoughtful, written reply at 4Real will "take a minute" - sheesh!

Now, If could just get myself to stop putting in one more load of laundry as I'm running out the door because THAT "takes only a minute"...sheesh, again .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 20 2009 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

This topic is still open for discussion so feel free to join in!

Here's a link to more related material and discussion, How we think - 4. when life is difficult.

Love,

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version