Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Fluoride? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 12 2009 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Can we talk about fluoride? We just went to the dentist and my kids have cavities again! Part of this is definitely from less than stellar brushing/flossing habits. The dentist believes that it is also the result of our being on well water and not getting enough fluoride.

I have to admit to being pretty ignorant about fluoride. I have only half-listened to the arguments for and against. My knee-jerk reaction is that the dentist is just promoting the "party line" of health professionals, similar to the push for vaccinations. But, in all fairness, I haven't researched enough.

What I do know is that my kids teeth aren't doing well and I need to make sure I am doing all that is possible and safe to improve them.

So, enlighten me!

(yes, I am too lazy, or scatterbrained, to do the research myself! )

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2009 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

I would make sure your kids have flroride. It really does help prevent tooth decay. I think the cons were more because the fluoride added to water could be too much. This way at least you can control the amounts your kids get.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2009 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Molly we have now started brushing our children's teeth with Terrmain Clay in earnest. Actually I'm going to be blogging about it soon.

We know of people who have had outstanding results with it and the information on the clay mentions that gum disease is something that can be reversed completely with it:

"Gum Disease - Terramin clay can be used effectively for gum tissue repair, gingivitis, and pyorrhea. The clay possesses antibacterial properties to prevent decay. Brushing our teeth with Terramin clay allows the clay to bind to unfriendly bacteria around the gumline. My dentist told me about the pockets in my gumline, which were 4's and 5's. The next visit 7 or 8 months later, those pockets no longer existed. The only thing I had changed was brushing my gumline several times a week with Terramin.
Be sure to only use pure calcium montmorillonite clay for this application, since most clays are sodium based and not meant to be taken internally.

Ran Knishnisky wrote in The Clay Cure “the clay is absorbent, so it will not be abrasive, and it helps harden teeth enamel while it aids in gum tissue repair. Furthermore, if used regularly, it helps to prevent gum recession.”

The clay has many minerals in a perfect balance, including fluoride, the mix of naturally occuring minerals ensures that our body will actually absorb and assimulate it.

Terramin Clay is very cheap, we just don't have toothpaste in the house now, only the terramin clay. Regular teeth brushing is important, we do it twice a day and I brush the teeth of the children 6 years and under myself.

We don't believe in fluoride in the water (our city has just introduced it for the first time and so we have bought a reverse osmosis system to get it out and I then add the water to a ceramic pot and add teramin clay to the water to make sure it is mineralized.

I wouldn't give fluoride tablets because giving one mineral doesn't really give the assurance it has been absorbed by the body and you can end up with an excess of it, IMO.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2009 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

It is my understanding that there are studies showing fluoride to be beneficial in preventing cavities if used topically but nothing proving that fluoride added to water for drinking prevents decay. In fact, there are questions about whether it is healthy to drink fluoride in the quantities it is added to water.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2009 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

CrunchyMom wrote:
It is my understanding that there are studies showing fluoride to be beneficial in preventing cavities if used topically but nothing proving that fluoride added to water for drinking prevents decay. In fact, there are questions about whether it is healthy to drink fluoride in the quantities it is added to water.

This is what I have heard too.
We also have a well. I toss the oral flouride at my kids once or twice a week. Appeases the dentist. My family physician says,"did you know flouride is a poison?" We use the flouride rinses every night. Dd has had cavities since very young. Ds never one. I believe in the theory that cavities are caused by a bacteria. I nursed both my kids for a long time and also for sleep at night. Mothering magazine has some good articles you might be able to access online.
I need to try to find that clay. I have awful gum disease and would love to cure it. Thanks for that info. I am game for anything but surgery.
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2009 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Drinking fluoride is not healthy. It may be helpful on teeth (topically, as others have said) but not internally.

A friend of mine was in and out of the hospital a couple of years ago with heart troubles that they couldn't diagnose. She finally, using the internet, decided that it must be the fluoride messing with her thyroid. She took herself off fluoride and didn't even need her long-term thyroid medicine anymore! (Fluoride was used as a thyroid treatment until fairly recently and may still be in other countries.) I know Fairfax County water has way too much of it.

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2009 at 5:36pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Jan 2008 Reuters:

Editors for Scientific American believe recent studies suggest that fluoride raises the risks of disorders affecting teeth, bones, the brain and the thyroid gland, and in general “scientific attitudes” about fluoridation may be shifting.

"Fluoride, the most consumed drug in the USA, is deliberately added to 2/3 of public water supplies theoretically to reduce tooth decay, but with no scientifically-valid evidence proving safety or effectiveness," says lawyer Paul Beeber, president of the New York State Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation.

Meanwhile, according to environmental reporter and director of New York University‘s Science, Health and Environmental Reporting Program Dan Fagin, "There is no universally accepted optimal level for daily intake of fluoride."

After analyzing hundreds of fluoride studies, researchers found that fluoride:

* Alters endocrine function, especially in the thyroid
    * Causes dental fluorosis in young children
    * May lower IQ
    * May increase the risk of bone fractures

Because scientific evidence suggests that water fluoridation is ineffective and dangerous to health, over 1,200 professional are now urging Congress to stop water fluoridation.

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2009 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

A good article from Weston Price:

Fluoride: Worse than we Thought

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2009 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

So, fluoride supplements would not be the way to go? Do you all let your kids use the fluoride rinses that they market to kids? I worry about them swallowing it.

Anne (aussieannie), I need to look into that clay. I wonder if it is something we can get in the States. I have never heard of it. Thanks!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2009 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

We have never used fluoride supplements, including infant vitamins with fluoride added. It is too risky, imo. We assist our children in tooth brushing until they are at least 6 or 7 years old. At about 5 years old (when they understand not to swallow it), we have them swish with a fluoride rinse several times a week. We also try to floss our kids' teeth every night. This makes the biggest difference, imo.

Our pediatric dentist admitted to me that some kids are just more prone to the bacteria that causes decay. I have two kids that are cavity-prone, and two that are not at all. They all follow the exact same dental hygeine routine. Go figure.

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2009 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

It is actually mined in California, so I have mine sent out from the States! Here is the link to their site you can buy just the powder.

Yes Lisa, I agree with you, my two older children have just have their dental hygenist visit and the child who brushes her teeth regularly got a good report, the one that doesn't brush his teeth that well, had plaque build up, gum bleeding and swelling and cavities...the hygenist stressed flossing, which I have not done with my children to date.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2009 at 11:37pm | IP Logged Quote trish

Thanks for that link Anne. Something we struggle with here too.

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2009 at 1:11am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Molly when we chose to use one of those floride rinse type of things on a spot on our daughter's front tooth.. we didn't have her rinse.. I used a paint brush and "painted" the floride rinse on them.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2009 at 1:13am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I've also heard really good things about using magnesium oil for tooth brushing.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2009 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Thanks everyone! I have to admit to not being very good at supervising brushing and flossing. The dentist said even 11 yr olds don't really have the dexterity to get down along the gums, especially in the back. So, I am trying to be consistent with our brushing/flossing assembly line. Not one of my favorite aspects of a large family. Then again, I wasn't on top of it when I only had a couple sets of teeth to brush.

Jodie, I like the painting it on idea!

You all are so much more helpful than a Google search!

Remembering Today

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2009 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Anne,
Maybe this is fodder for your future blog post. But, how did you pick this company for your clay? I have been around "alternative" stuff to know that quality matters, but cost doesn't necessarily indicate quality, etc.

Also, does this keep indefinitely? Or another way to put this, is it worth buying bulk?

THanks,
Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version