Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Lincoln Birthday - Share ideas, books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Happy Birthday, Abe! 200 years old in Februray!

Credit Line: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, LC-USP6-2415-A DLC

Are you planning anything special in your curriculum/studies or just to celebrate? I am really excited about all the resources that are coming up to commemorate the 200th anniversary of Lincoln's birth. I always enjoy incorporating anniversaries that are being celebrated in a big way publicly, because we all benefit from the great resources that are published and promoted at the time.

I sure wish that we lived in one of the "Lincoln" locations as there will be some great events. Like theAbraham Lincoln: An Extraordinary Life exhibit at the Smithsonian Institute – Opened January 16.

Are you NOVA ladies going? Anyone else live in the Lincoln areas, like Kentucky, Indiana or Illinois? Share with us what is happening.

Well for those of us not close we can still do this Smithsonian Institute Virtual conference - sounds really cool!

A couple other on-line sites I found are included here. There are so many, almost too much to sift through. Please share resources that you have found which are worthwhile to help us all discern the best resources.

Abraham Lincoln online
Lincoln Birthday

It's only a month away (Februrary 12) - so I would love your help compiling resources, books, activites, websites, here in this thread. I'm going to link some of past Lincoln threads here as well.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Past 4 Real threads to read:
President Lincoln
Lincoln and Washington - which includes a link to a very fun post Dawn did a couple years ago on her blog:Links for Lincoln

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

2009 Lincoln Bicentennial One Cent Program – 4 new penny designs will be minted by the US Mint this year, in recognition of the bicentennial of Abraham Lincoln's birth.

It's also the 100th anniversary of the first issue of the Lincoln cent. We love the historic coins (president dollars, states quarters, Lewis & Clark nickels) and are looking forward to these coins this year. Our homeschool group is going to visit the US Mint on a field trip this week - hopefully we will see some (or at least find out when they will be in circulation).

Here are the Kid’s pages at US Mint site - they have info and activities associated with the Lincoln pennies.

And don't forget postage stamps - there is a really nice looking series of stamps that will be issued on his birthday. These United States postage stamps depict four eras of Lincoln’s life - Rail Splitter, Lawyer, Politician, President). We are going to try to collect as many of other past Lincoln stamps as we can and compare them.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 19 2009 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Does no one else have anything to share about 'ole honest Abe???? Am I the only Abeophile enjoying this bicentennial year???

Our Domestic Church

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2009 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote Angi

We have done quite a bit this year, but mostly local stuff since we live in Central IL. My oldest loves everything Lincoln, so we planned our summer vacation around him.

Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 2:04am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

At our visit to the US Mint on Wednesday we found out the first penny will be circulated starting Feb. 12, his birthday (which is kind of what I figured). Though we didn't actually see them being minted, we did see the blanks that will be the Lincoln pennies soon - the machine was not going at the time we went through.

Our group just decided to have a big Lincoln Brithday bash that Friday after his birthday. So I've been brainstorming some games, crafts, food, etc. The kids and I came up with some ideas like BINGO with pennies for the counters, "tiddly-winks" with pennies, penny toss, and Lincoln log building.

Love to hear other suggestions...

Our Domestic Church

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Mary....I forwarded this thread to dh, who is a HUGE Lincoln-buff, and he's so excited about all this! Thanks for posting!!

The US Mint in Denver was always a favorite field trip when we'd visit our cousins.....my Uncle Chuck loved taking us there!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 29 2009 at 2:23am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

SuzanneG wrote:
Mary....I forwarded this thread to dh, who is a HUGE Lincoln-buff, and he's so excited about all this! Thanks for posting!!

Hopefully your dh will relay some resources and ideas to share here! That would be great.

SuzanneG wrote:
The US Mint in Denver was always a favorite field trip when we'd visit our cousins.....my Uncle Chuck loved taking us there!

The tour has changed a lot even in the 20 years we've been here. You definitely don't get to see as much of the actual process as you used to.

I did learn one interesting fact about the penny though - they currently lose money making it. It costs 1.25 cents to make each one, but they can only sell it to the Federal Reserve for face value, 1 cent (obviously). They lose money on nickels, too, but make it up in other coinage - like dollar coins cost 25 cents to produce. Last year after expenses the US Mint
returned $750 million to the Treasury General Fund - money that they made making money .

And back to Lincoln resources...
I have a plethora of Lincoln books I'm perusing right now. I wanted to mention a couple that we have found really interesting and unique in format. Both are compilations - great living history presentation of many aspects of Lincoln's life and death.

The Lincolns: A Scrapbook Look at Abraham and Mary - Candace Fleming
This book is presented in a "scrapbook" format - includes a variety of types of resources (photographs, letters, documents) to present the story of Abe and Mary. Huge amount of information presented in a really readable and engaging manner. The kids and I are thoroughly enjoying it. Lots of good stuff here.

Lincoln Shot, A President's Life Remembered - Barry Denenberg
Another fun format - it's presented as a compilation of old-time newspapers covering the death and remembering the life of Lincoln. The format itself is enough to engage most students - it's a very large book, oversized book (18 X 12 inches) to give each page the feel of a real newspaper of the time. It's well done and has a very authentic appearance. Like the scrapbook mentioned above, covers lots of topics and engages the reader.

Our Domestic Church

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 04 2009 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

There are SO MANY great picture books about Lincoln!!!   

Anyone have any ideas of some sort of meal/food to fix ??? Most of the ideas for food are for desserts, etc.

**Any ideas for food that they typically ate during this time period?
**Foods that are associated with the Lincolns?
**Brainstorm "Associated foods" like a "cherry pie" for George Washington?

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2009 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Well, there is this website which discusses Civil War soldier food. And this one.

We are going to make Penny Rugs (well, kind of sorta).

Penny Rugs

A good picture of a Penny Rug.

I have a black paper table cloth that we are going to glue 1 1/4inch circles and 3/4 inch circles to create the look of the Penny Rug. I am hoping it will inspire us to try to make one for real with the wool scraps I have but I think one of those will take awhile.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 04 2009 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I like the Food Timeline for this sort of thing. I didn't see anything on there at first glance for ole Abe...but there's plenty during that time period to at least get an idea for the culinary offerings during that period.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 04 2009 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote Marcia

Angi? do we know each other? We're Central IL too. Will you go see Obama visit the Lincoln sites this month? We were considering a visit to the Pres. Museum. It's a fun visit.
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 04 2009 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Use this page on the Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial website to find a link to the various state Lincoln Bicentennial Commissions. There are events in most states.

It has also been really interesting to me to read the "connections" different states have to Lincoln where I never knew they existed. Idaho for example - that's where I was born and grew up. I didn't "remember" from my school days there, any connections Lincoln had to Idaho.

It was Abraham Lincoln who established the Idaho Territory in 1863 by signing an act of Congress on March 4. He helped pick the name "Idaho" and appointed our first territorial governor. Lincoln even had Idaho on his mind the day he was assassinated, when he invited an Idaho Congressman to join him at Ford's Theater.

The west was really important to Lincoln and the Union during the Civil War even though it had little physical or direct connection. So even if you don't think your state has any connections - check it out - you may find some and some fun local events.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 05 2009 at 12:41am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

SuzanneG wrote:
Anyone have any ideas of some sort of meal/food to fix ??? Most of the ideas for food are for desserts, etc.

I understand that for this year's inaugural luncheon the foods that were chosen were meant to reflect Lincoln's favorite foods - or the type of foods they would have eaten.

Here's the menu:

First Course: Seafood Stew. The wine: Duckhorn Vineyards, 2007 Sauvignon Blanc from the Napa Valley in California.

Second Course: A Brace of American Birds (pheasant and duck), served with sour cherry chutney and molasses sweet potatoes. The wine: Goldeneye, 2005 Pinot Noir from the Anderson Valley in California.

Third Course: Apple cinnamon sponge cake and sweet cream glacé. The wine: Korbel Natural 'Special Inaugural Cuvée,' from California.

Seems like lots of wine...

Our Domestic Church

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2009 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Our piano teacher today told us that Lincoln was mentored by JQA who was an ardent abolitionist. I never knew!

She went on a tour of the Capitol Building last night led by the founder of Wall Builders a group trying to preserve the Christian influence on American history. The tour sounded awsome.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2009 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

And I think I may have to plan a trip to the American History museum too, now. Thanks for the tip!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 05 2009 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Ooohhhh, thanks for the links, everyone! Very helpful.

MaryM wrote:

Seems like lots of wine...

....which I'm not opposed to.....

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 10 2009 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Some of these are in included in the link above for Dawn's blog thread from a few years ago, but I wanted to highlight some specific links of interest that were included there.

Great source of quotes for recitation, dictation, copywork, etc. - Abraham Lincoln on-line Speeches and Writings

Fun food:

Instructions on making this at Martha Stewart.com

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 12:23am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This is the agenda for our group celebration on Friday:

Craft/Art activity:
     - make Lincoln themed frame for Gettysburg Address (using Lincoln postage stamps and rubber stamp images of the Lincoln penny)

Presentation/Oratory activity:
    - students will have opportunity to recite some speech, quote, poem of Lincoln

Games:
Stove pipe hat penny toss
Lincoln BINGO
Lincoln Trivia Jeopardy
Obstacle Course Relay (still working out the details but will include some "rails" to split, pennies to return, tin can stilts to walk on)
Surveying Treasure Hunt - from Abraham Lincoln for Kids

For the Little set:
Penny Rubbings
Penny Toss
Play with Lincoln Logs

Snacks:
the pretzel log cabins shown above
Little Debbie Swiss Rolls - to double as giant Lincoln Logs - the kids can "split" them like Lincoln split rails - (get it?)

Our Domestic Church

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 2:23am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Oooohhhhhh....the Swiss Rolls! That's it!    I knew there just had to be something!   

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version