Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: They just want to PLAY! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 05 2009 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote Kristin

Our 5.5yo ds and 4yo dd seem to be in a really great phase of playing together --- nonstop! They can literally play for almost the entire day with just a minimum of time to regroup or take personal space. It's wonderful! It can be frustrating, though, because with only one activity day (Wed.) there still doesn't seem to be enough time in the week for them to play!

I seem to remember that this happened before a couple of years ago, "when the stars aligned" , and was happened to be followed by a phase of discontent. I'm wondering if others have seen a similar "cycle" with siblings that are closer together (they are 19 months apart).

As much as I've enjoyed it, I struggle because I feel obliged to pull ds aside to do his Kindergarten work. Generally, when I attempt to do this, I get anything from resistance to protestation. (He is a sanguine, by the way, and LOVES his fun!) Can I sit back and let them take the lead here with play, play, PLAY! and trust that a few months down the road I'll be able to get a little more serious with the "schooling"?

DH and I truly believe that it's wonderful that they are getting so much time for free and creative play when so many children (who attend school) are too busy running from one place to the next. But there is a part of me that wonders if this needs to be balanced out with routine, structured learning time and the habit formation that goes along with it!

TIA - your experience and wisdom will be much appreciated!

dawn2006
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 05 2009 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote dawn2006

I don't have any advice but just wanted to chime in with a similar experience today with my 5 and 3 yo. They played the whole day together! It was beautiful.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2009 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Kristin~
I've had this at different times.....my first two are 17 mo apart and my 2nd two are 15 months apart.

I def. let them play. Don't feel obligated to "do Kindgergarten"....unless that pressure is coming from dh or state requirments, etc. ESP if you're getting resistance. I would just let them have fun and take advantage of this time to do some projects that won't get done in a month when the "stars stop aligning".         

I always made sure I was connecting with them, though....spontaneous chit-chat, mealtimes, picture books, chores/routines and long walks never ceased!   

I do focus on routines, though.....and also habit-formation. Which can be made really fun if they are "buddies". At this age, that takes precedence over seat-work, formal learning, etc.

If there are things you want them to "do", can you incorporate it/them into mealtime??? ie: a letter a day at the lunch table. Or reading poetry during breakfast. Things like that.

It's one of the reasons we home-school....those close relationships with siblings have a chance to grow!!!! It's wonderful!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2009 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

LET THEM PLAY~~~PLAY IS WORK FOR A CHILD.

You can never measure the amount of learning that is taking place during these play sessions, but I assure you it is tremendous.

The play will end of its own accord...at that time, you can step in with some "structured" learning. At 5.5 and 4, your children are still so little. Now that my oldest is 16.5, I am painfully aware of this.

Just my two cents.

Peace.

mooreboyz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 07 2009 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote mooreboyz

I have 2 that are exactly 2 yrs apart and they are the same way...rarely are they not together playing. At this age I would definitely not interupt them for school. However, maybe there are things they can do "together" like a scavenger hunt for things that start with B or playing toy store or cards to work on a little math. You'll find the 4 yr old will pick up tons working beside his buddy.

Enjoy!

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2009 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Just chiming in here to say, I agree- let them play! Want to feel better about it? Read The Power of Play by David Elkind (it's marked 70% off at amazon!)- a fabulous book, easy to read, and so inspiring.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 07 2009 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote Kristin

Thanks everyone for your input on this. My gut feeling about it has been to let them play as much as they want, but I've been finding it difficult to go against current educational trends in our society and let go of my preconceived notion of "kindergarten"! Sometimes homeschooling really takes a lot of COURAGE!

I'll have to check out The Power of Play, sounds like a good book.

Thanks again!

Milehimama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 08 2009 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote Milehimama

All of my children are between 13-18 months apart, and they all have a natural "buddy" that they play with. Right now my 4 and 3 yo daughter play together all day long.

Don't worry about formal lessons right now. Have you heard of "strewing"? It's a technique unschoolers use. You "leave out" things you want them to be interested in. Maybe a basket of rocks and a magnifying glass will appear on the dining room table, or the kitchen sink will be filled with an assortment of funnels and little pitchers with a gentle reminder to "go play in the sink".

Back to Top View Milehimama's Profile Search for other posts by Milehimama Visit Milehimama's Homepage

lilangels
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote lilangels

I agree with everyone else and say let them play.

If you do feel a strong need to do something with your 5.5 year old I wouldn't try to interrupt the play in order to do so. At some point during the natural cycle of the day find an appropriate time to insert say a story - maybe after lunch or a snack or after a good run outside or around the basement if its too cold out. A time when the kids are inclined to be more inward. Perhaps after luch every day or M,W,F - some pattern where your son knows "this is what we do now". Maybe after snack you always do something else - maybe count beans or 5 minutes of letter copying or something. Routine is important for establishing rhythms. Children don't want to be suddenly pulled out of their imaginary worlds! That said I honestly think you can wait another year but I remember well chomping at the bit to do things when my oldest was the same age. I am far more casual with my young children now! You have a lot more time than you think.

You mentioned balance & structure - make that a part of your home life - waking times, sleeping times, eating times, story times, outside times, art times, etc, etc. You can develop life habits in the home now such that when the time is right you will be able to insert more structured learning as needed.

Pax - Barbara
Mom to 5 ages 12, 10, 7, 5, and 21 months
Back to Top View lilangels's Profile Search for other posts by lilangels

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version