Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Movie List 2009 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 28 2009 at 12:19am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Thanks for sharing, Stephanie!

Seems we are watching and thinking a bit alike!

We are on a Hitchcock kick this year......sure are a lot to go through! Which were your top five faves? It is fun to watch the "how they were made" on DVD special features.....so much film history there!

I LOVED the movie HOW GREEN WAS YOUR VALLEY! I read the book before I watched the movie again a few years ago...the movie is "safe" the book is not...so, while you may enjoy book......it is not for kids...though the movie would be fine. I always like to give a heads-up on that because with the movie being so good....someone might assume the book would be, too......I thought that!

I just re-watched OCEAN'S 11 to prepare to watch OCEAN'S 12....and will be watching 13 soon, too. I enjoyed the cleverness of 12, but I agree with you...11 is best and 12 was good......guess I will watch 13 to see if we line up.

I also did not care much for THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON...but my reason is that I read the short story by F.Scott Fitzgerald before it came out on DVD because I wanted to know the original before I saw it. I just LOVED the story!!! His father loves his strange son so much...as does his mother.....which you now know has nothing to do with the movie Benjamin! Sheesh! Plus...I hated all of the out- of-wedlock goings-on...enough already.

We are two episodes into All Creatures Great and Small...which we have seen before...but Maddelyn is currently reading through the books....and wants to see them again and the two little boys missed them the first time around.

Anyone else? Bet you have a lot to add Suzanne!

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 28 2009 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

We mostly liked his movies from the 50's. Top 5 are:
The Wrong Man
I Confess
Rear Window
North By Northwest
The Man Who Knew Too Much (his re-make..."Que Sera, Sera")

Although not "our" top 5, I really liked "Notorious" with Ingrid Bergman. I suspect I will like "Spellbound", too...it's on our list. There are a lot we haven't seen, though.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2009 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Julie and Julia

I got out to see this movie today... what a treat! I loved Meryl Streep as Julia Child. Her relationship with her husband Paul was so loving, and she was just so much fun. Even though she had sadness (unable to have children) and setbacks and frustrations like the rest of us, she was able to laugh and look on the bright side.

My favorite part of the movie was when she was trying to figure out what to do with herself in Paris, and when her husband asked what she really liked to do, she said, "Eat! And I'm very good at it".

How can you not smile at that?

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2009 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

One of our family's favorite movies ever is The Secret of Roan Inish.   If you love the Irish/Gaelic/Celtic culture; this film is for you--and even if you don't, it is a film which truly celebrates family and faith. Target sells it for just $5!!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

SeaStar wrote:
Julie and Julia

I got out to see this movie today... what a treat! I loved Meryl Streep as Julia Child. Her relationship with her husband Paul was so loving, and she was just so much fun. Even though she had sadness (unable to have children) and setbacks and frustrations like the rest of us, she was able to laugh and look on the bright side.

My favorite part of the movie was when she was trying to figure out what to do with herself in Paris, and when her husband asked what she really liked to do, she said, "Eat! And I'm very good at it".

How can you not smile at that?

That was a fun film! I loved the part where she was practicing chopping onions and Paul could barely enter the room from weeping.

It was creative how they combined the two stories, but I preferred the story about Julia Child much, much more than the modern story. All of the best moments involved Julia Child herself, imo.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2009 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Oh, I agree- the Julia Child line was far superior to the modern. Julia had such class! I loved her upbeat attitude, her clothes, her marriage...

I loved the part when she was trying to describe a butter recipe she'd wangled out of a chef and couldn't come up with the right word for it, and then Paul steps in and says, "Tangy", and she becomes so overcome with gratitude and love for him that she can barely speak... just waves a hand and says, "my husband."

Oh. my! Such romance

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2009 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

New In Town Chic flic. OK, not great. I expected more from Renee Zwe and Harry Connick Jr.
He's just not that into you Painful chic flic that my sister and I watched when she was visiting in Sept.

Movies both dh and I watched that we both enjoyed:
::Lakeview Terrace
::Frost Nixon
::Nothing but the Truth
::Gran Torino Loved it!!!!!
::Changeling
::Fireproof
::Amelia Earhardt Saw this in the theater last weekend, and liked it a lot!

Tonight, we're supposed to be watching The Reader.
And, there are FINALLY several DVDs out now that I'm really wanting to see.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2009 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Aw, Suzanne, New In Town is coming tomorrow from Netflix! Oh well, at least I might be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed.

We just watched Rescue Dawn, and it is a good movie to watch with dh. It has some difficult moments, but it didn't ever get as gratuitous as I was afraid it would. I mean, I can't know anyone else's comfort levels, but I would have liked to know ahead of time that I didn't have to sit on the edge of my chair for fear of a torture scene.

I just watched Miss Pettigrew lives for a day, and it was fun enough, but dh wouldn't have liked it. While I think ultimately, the theme was that it was empty, there is a good bit more blatant promiscuity than I realized would be.

What are some of the other movies you want to see, Suzanne?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2009 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

CrunchyMom wrote:
What are some of the other movies you want to see, Suzanne?

Just me:
::My Life in Ruins
::Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (my expecatations are low, but I have to see it).
::Sunshine Cleaning
::Confessions of a Shopaholic (movie-friend said it's not-that-great..probably a good organize-something-while-watching-movie)
::La Vie en Rose - Edith Piaf movie
::The Proposal - Sandra Bullock
::Love Takes Wing

For both:
::Soloist
::The Education of Charlie Banks
::Love Takes Wing
::Australia
::Crossing Over
::Leatherheads - his idea, not mine
::Far North

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2009 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

CrunchyMom wrote:
Aw, Suzanne, New In Town is coming tomorrow from Netflix! Oh well, at least I might be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed.

that's a good way to look at it!   It's ok....just not great or anything special. I howled at the hunting-outfit-zipper scene!!!!!!!

CrunchyMom wrote:
We just watched Rescue Dawn, and it is a good movie to watch with dh. It has some difficult moments, but it didn't ever get as gratuitous as I was afraid it would. I mean, I can't know anyone else's comfort levels, but I would have liked to know ahead of time that I didn't have to sit on the edge of my chair for fear of a torture scene.
That's good to know....dh wants to see that, and I wasn't sure I could take it.

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2009 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Recently I have watched:

The Kite Runner-I read the book and loved it. I thought the movie was good too.

I also watched this French Movie, I've Loved You So Long. I loved it! Great acting and a good story.

Suzanne, did you read the book The Reader? I loved the book! I thought about it for several days after I finished it. Let me know how you like the movie...

ETA: I need more vocabulary! How many times did I say the word love in this post? I have to take some IEW classes about strong verbs and quality adjectives

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2009 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Natalia wrote:
Suzanne, did you read the book The Reader? I loved the book! I thought about it for several days after I finished it. Let me know how you like the movie...

Yes! I did read the book....about 10 years ago....it was very powerful. I didn't realize that the MOVIE was "that book" until I read the description (of the movie) a few weeks ago and it clicked!! My neighbor watched it last night and so far today.....she's called me twice .....and appeared on my doorstep once.....to talk about it! I keep telling her....

1. I'm kinda BUSY    and.....
2. I haven't seen it yet!!!! Can you JUST WAIT 'til TOMORROW???    Sheez!!!!!

She said she FF through a lot of the s-x scenes at the beginning....it was just too much. And, the whole story is so disturbing...very complex.

Elena Vidal a post about it here.

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

DH got on a comic book movie kick, recently.
We both really liked X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Hellboy was disappointing (too many tentacles) - we thought the sequel was going to be horrible - but already on it's way, we gave it a chance and were surprised that we liked Hellboy II.

We both loved Lars and the Real Girl and really liked The Simple Life of Noah Dearborn - a "Watch Instantly" pick.

We liked Bedtime Stories for ourselves, but wouldn't recommend for kids, even though it's "Disney", is Adam Sandler's cleanest movie ever, and the USCCB gives it a green light for all ages. Sigh.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Stephanie_Q wrote:
We both loved Lars and the Real Girl
DH still reminds me that I really liked that movie! He did not "get it" AT ALL!    This is one of those movies....ya either HATE IT or LOVE IT! There's no in-between!

Well.....we ended up watching Rescue Dawn last night. DH was having NONE of The Reader after reading the back of the movie, so I guess that'll be one for just me.

We both really liked Rescue Dawn, and you're right, Lindsay....it wasn't too brutal. I turned away once at the beginning when he first got captured, and the leeches scene was pretty gross. They did a good job at capturing the desperation without it being too much.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 12:48am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Finishing up the year with a couple movies from Dec:

::The Proposal which I really liked. There are some really funny parts in it. I really liked it!!!!   
::Leatherheads, better than I expected.
::The Man Who Came Back...a modern western...good story, but pretty brutal....yet another "I'll sort the junk drawer movie"
::The Affair of the Necklace Story about Marie-Antoinette's necklace-affair. OK, not great.

teachingmom wrote:
I watched A Walk to Remember with my two oldest girls not too long ago. What a great movie for teens!

And, highlighting this from the first page of this thread, as I don't think I ever commented on it.....it's REALLY is a good movie!!!! I cried! It's been a couple years....may have to watch it again sometime this year!

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 05 2010 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

A WALK TO REMEMBER is WAAY better as the book.

It looks like we need a 2010 movie list!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version