Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Movie List 2009 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 04 2009 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

Yes, Karen, it was the one Ignatius Press has. I filled my Netflix queue with movies from their catalog at the end of last November. We really did like the movie; however, they seem to take a lot of artistic liscense. Two of the main differences we noted were:

1)She wanted to be a nun and submitted to her parents' will in the marriage that they'd arranged but in the movie she fell in love and convinced her parents to let her marry.

2) There was a strong "Mafia" feel about the Mancini family that she married into. Those events pertaining to her husband's life, conversion and murder are what was the most inaccurate compared to what we've read.

We don't have a biography of the Saint, but are comparing to Ferdinand Holbock's account in Married Saints and Blessed Through the Centuries as well as shorter accounts from on-line sources.

We finally watched Penelope (Instantly) on Sunday night and loved it. So nice to find a cute story that they didn't ruin with typical Hollywood ick.

We've been watching the Don Matteo Italian TV series and even though dh doesn't like to read the subtitles, we've really been enjoying these.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2009 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Yes, what you've written about her submitting to her parents' wishes and delaying her entry is what I've read also. About her husband's murder, though, my biography does say his wicked ways had made him numerous enemies and they banded together to attack him. (it also says some accounts have it that he was the one who started the fight). But, it says her sons were obsessed with the idea of revenge as a duty and show of loyalty to their father, and states that the idea of vendetta (their italics, not mine) was popular at that time. So that may be where the mafia-type idea comes from.

This is from a Tan book called St. Rita of Cascia, Saint of the Impossible by Fr. Joseph Sicardo, O.S.A.

Karen, who really should finish that book and return it to the parish library
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2009 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

FIREPROOF ~ Excellent! A pro-marriage movie! Highly recommend watching this with your spouse!

p.s. This DVD was just released mid-February in Canada. Never played in our cinemas. Goes to show you the state our Country is in    Please keep our Government Leaders in your prayers ~ thanks!

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 05 2009 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Karen T wrote:
Yes, that is the same Brideshead that I am watching. I read the book last week, after watching the first 2 episodes, and now it makes more sense.
Oh, be forewarned, there have been at least two scenes with rear nudity (of Sebastian and Charles) so far but nothing else even remotely PG-13

Just since you bring it up, and I hate to ruin the story, but there *is* a bedroom scene later in the movie. I haven't seen the movie in years, but even before I was a *mom* (which, I've become much more sensitized and picky in recent years), I remember blushing Definitely PG-13 in my book.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2009 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Oh, thanks for warning me. I guess I should have expected it, after reading the book. I assume on the ship? That entire part of the book disappointed me.

Luckily, it is only me watching these, although ds15 did see a few minutes the other night, just long enough to exclaim "hey, that's the Scarlet Pimpernel guy"

good to keep the later scene in mind when making sure no kids are around!
Karen

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 18 2009 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Finished Brideshead Revisited series and it really did follow the book closely, right down to individual words of dialogue! I definitely don't want to see the new one!

I borrowed some saint DVDs from a friend and saw the Ignatius press one on Sts. Francis and Clare - pretty good, although they make St. Francis out to be quite a lunatic! I still have another borrowed to watch - St. Anthony of Padua but it's in Italian with subtitles so have to pay attention closely!

Karen T

DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 27 2009 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote DianaC

Last night my dd and I watched John XXIII and it was excellent!!!

His desire to be obedient to our Lord and his priority to bring about peace were well developed throughout the movie.

It was a long movie: 3 hours, 20 minutes, but we were glued to it.

(There was one scene I asked my dd to avert her eyes for - a short, gory battle scene from his time serving in WWI.)
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2009 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

And I finally watched St. Anthony of Padualast weekend, the one with subtitles and it was excellent! It was just a little confusing in the beginning b/c there is a flashback after a shipwreck, and between figuring out where he was, where he was supposed to be, and where he'd come from, all while hearing it in Italian, I got confused. He really came from Portugal but I was thinking Italy b/c of the Italian dialogue.
I had not realized he was a contemporary of St. Francis, though I knew he was a Franciscan.

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2009 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

We watched Mother Teresa last week and were SO disappointed! We really don't feel that they captured who she was. Honestly, the movie wasn't inspiring. For someone who is not familiar with Mother Teresa, there was nothing that really showed why she was a saint.

We are waiting on Therese to come from Netflix. I hope it will be better.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2009 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

We have been enjoying the ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL SERIES on Netflix (instantly). We haven't shown the kids because there are some very realistic veterinary medicine scenes and my daughters are incredibly soft-hearted when it comes to animals. I could see watching it with older children. It makes me crave a cup of tea though, every time we watch!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2009 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Can't figure out why that link isn't behaving. Here it is to cut and paste:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_creatures_great_and_small

Click on the TV series article.

Waltzing Matilda

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2009 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

"Man on Wire" was AMAZING!!! The story of Philippe Petit, the tightrope walker.
there is a great childrens book, too, but I don;t recall it's title offhand.

It won a bunch of awards recently, and although it has a PG-13 rating, it is family friendly up until the last 10 min. there is a nude scene- which is totally not necessary- so after pre screening the movie we just shut it off after the walk across the twin towers.
even Maria was mesmerized the first 45 min or so. and the boys were fascinated all the way through!!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2009 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Last weekend I watched Arranged I don't remember if I heard about it here or some blog I read. It was good clean movie. It is the story of the friendship between a traditional Jewish girl and a traditional Muslim girl. They both live in NYC and are in the middle of the process to have a marriage arranged for them. It is an interesting look into the custom and thought behind arranged marriages.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 29 2009 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Curious Case of Benjamin Button. We both liked it.

Defiant...a very good WWII movie. Pretty intense, and I had to be doing-something-else-while-watching, but it's a true story, very good and intense.

Miracle at Santa Anna....the story of four black American soldiers who get trapped in a Tuscan village during WWII. Again....GOOD! But, intense. Another I-must-fold-clothes-or-do-paperwork-while-watching movie.....I'm really a wimp, aren't i?

We saw Pelham 123 in the theater last week....it was a pretty good movie...good acting by John Travolta and Denzel Washington, but MAN....do they HAVE to swear that much???????? Ugh. It was too much. Good movie, but WAY too much of that nonsense.

By myself:
The Duchess. Period movie about the Duchess of Devonshire.   Ok, not great. Great costumes, etc..... but the acting and the writing was wierd.

Bride Wars. Chic flick. not one of my favorites, but ok.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2009 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

SuzanneG wrote:
Again....GOOD! But, intense. Another I-must-fold-clothes-or-do-paperwork-while-watching movie.....I'm really a wimp, aren't i?

Oh, Suzanne, I love you. I am such a wimp too! I have been known to "watch" whole movies on fast forward so that I would know where the jump scenes were later. Intense movies are usually when I get all of my mismatched socks paired up.

I recently watched A Wedding for Bella which I didn't think I was going to like but I did. There was some language and one adult scene. It was touching in a lot of ways, very honest and real.

Waltzing Matilda

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2009 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

SuzanneG wrote:
We saw Pelham 123 in the theater last week....it was a pretty good movie...good acting by John Travolta and Denzel Washington, but MAN....do they HAVE to swear that much???????? Ugh. It was too much. Good movie, but WAY too much of that nonsense.

I'm old enough to remember seeing this the first time it was made. I've wondered what makes it R this time, as it was certainly PG back then (I think this was before they even came out with PG-13 rating) I can recall watching it on TV with my parents.

Karen T

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 30 2009 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Karen T wrote:
I'm old enough to remember seeing this the first time it was made. I've wondered what makes it R this time, as it was certainly PG back then (I think this was before they even came out with PG-13 rating) I can recall watching it on TV with my parents.

Parental Guide says the f-word was used 102 times. It seemed like 1002 times to me and I wouldn't even consider myself "sensitive to swearing."

It was pretty violent.....but what they do with movies now is just way more intense than the same movie with the same plot 20 or 30 years ago. I think I can picture in my mind a less intense version.....makes me want to see the original now.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 30 2009 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Karen T wrote:
SuzanneG wrote:

Karen T

I just looked on netflix because I was curious (I'd never heard of either), and the old one is rated R as well. Doubt it uses the F-word 102 times...

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2009 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Wow, it was really R? I'm amazed, b/c I definitely remember seeing it on TV, and it was way before movie channels - it was probably edited for TV though. but, back then an R rating might just be for the violence; after all it was a violent crime. I'm sure there would not have been all that language.

There are so many movies now that have huge amounts of bad language that would be just fine without any of it. I don't understand the need for it - do the writers/producers really think people won't watch a movie with a good plot if it doesn't have bad language? I don't mind an occasional word that is really necessary for the mood, but do curse words make movies more desirable to people?

karen

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 27 2009 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

We've been so busy this summer, but we've finally made it through the string of Ocean's 11, 12 and 13. We liked 11 the best, 12 was good, but we didn't care much for 13. We also didn't care much for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (sorry, Suzanne).

It's not a movie, but I've really been enjoying Alfred Hitchcock Presents on Watch Instantly. We're on Season 2. We also finally watched I Confess and LOVED it. Can't believe we missed that one when we were on our Hitchcock kick last year!

I really enjoyed How Green Was My Valley much earlier this summer.

Oh - we were also both pleasantly surprised with Gran Torino. It's a rough movie, but we both really liked it, unlike No Country For Old Men, which was rough and not as much of a feel-good movie. Perhaps I can explain:

Caution! Spoiler: My dh likes the "happily ever after" endings, where the bad guy goes to jail and the good guy wins in the end - "Gran Torino" did that, but it didn't work that way in "No Country For Old Men" it really bothered my husband; yet I felt like it was more like 'real life' the 'good guy' gets shot and the 'bad guy' gets away, and though Bell did everything he could, he couldn't stop it, but he still had a sense of hope for the future, as told through the dream he had at the end.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version