Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Movie List 2009 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 02 2009 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Please share any movies or shows you and/or your family watch throughout the year.

Feel free to just list them with a quick thumbs-up or thumbs-down, OR review with as many words and commentary as you like!    And, list it even if it's been mentioned before.

Please CAPITALIZE THE TITLES , or If you have the time, bold them, or put them in color.....it makes it easier to catch the titles when going back to look for recommendations.

Happy Movie Viewing in 2009!!!

Here's our first viewing of the year:

DH and I went out with another couple last night (I don't think that's happened in at least 4 years! We went to the theater (which also never happens) and saw Yes Man. We all liked it and thought it was pretty funny. (with the exception of 1 or 2 gross scenes).

We're also going to be watching a a few Westerns this year, that I look forward to posting about.

Classic Movies for Boys

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 02 2009 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

Dh and I saw Australia on New Year's Eve. We go to the movies about once every two or three years so the 30 minutes of previews/commercials leading up to the feature film was an unpleasant surprise.

I didn't care for the beginning of the movie much. I didn't find the humor that funny and was a bit disappointed in Nicole Kidman's character. Towards the middle and end, however, I grew to like it. It wasn't one of the best films we've ever seen but the landscape and scenery of Australia was just beautiful - especially on the large screen.

Also, the young boy in the movie does a GREAT job with his character.

Although rated PG-13, I was surprised by some of the language and one s#x scene in particular. (Again, remember we hardly EVER see movies so maybe that is status-quo for movies with a PG-13 rating.)

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 12:47am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Martha~ (about Australia .....A friend of mine who sees A LOT of movies in the theaters said the SAME EXACT things you did about this movie. I'm looking forward to seeing it, but will have to wait for DVD, which will diminish the scenery... , but oh well.

And, I was annoyed with the 30 min of previews also. I don't remember that much in previous years.

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 16 2009 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

I watched Arranged last night on Netflix "instant watch" - I liked it!

It was very interesting - it is about two women - one a Moslem and the other an Orthodox Jew and their friendship (they meet teaching in a NY city school)and the process each of their family's go through to arrange their marriages.

Lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 16 2009 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote Lori

We saw Gran Torino on Valentine's Day...not a typically romantic chick flick for the holiday, but a good movie nonetheless. Interesting to watch the development of Eastwood's character.

Warning: lots of racial stereotypes/language, but it fits with his character, and isn't shown as good. In fact, so over the top as to make you laugh at its absurdity in being used.
Back to Top View Lori's Profile Search for other posts by Lori

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 16 2009 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

In January dh and I saw Yes Man in the theater.

And, for the past couple weeks, we've been watching HBO Miniseries ~ John Adams, which has been AMAZING! There are seven parts....which makes it about 10 hours of film!!! And, for a non-action film, it was SO GOOD! We were always disappointed each time a "part" was finished and it was time for bed.       HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!!!

With the girls:
**the original Cheaper by the Dozen
**Charlotte's Web
**Kicking and Screaming

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

This is not so much a recommendation as a question:

I have just finished watching the first disc of Brideshead Revisited after seeing recommendations of at least the book, in various places (including here on 4Real). I'd much prefer to read the book, but my booklist right now is so long, and I saw this at the library, and dh is out of town all week every week, so I thought I might like to watch this.

Anyway, maybe I'm misinterpreting things but it just doesn't seem to be going down a storyline I like so far... these men are in love with each other, and then there is the strange friend on the side (and the actor reminds me of Tim Burton, which doesn't help)

I was under the impression that Evelyn Waugh was a great Catholic writer, and so far, other than the fact that there is a chapel at Brideshead, I"m not seeing anything remotely Catholic about it!

well, while I'm here I will post one recommendation Padre Pio by St. Ignatius press. Not for littles; it's a bit scary when he is visited by the devil several times. And it's long - 3 hrs I think. but very good.

Karen T
ETA forgot to say, should I keep watching Brideshead? There are at least 2 more discs in the set.
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 12:03am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Karen T wrote:
I have just finished watching the first disc of Brideshead Revisited ...........
I was under the impression that Evelyn Waugh was a great Catholic writer, and so far, other than the fact that there is a chapel at Brideshead, I"m not seeing anything remotely Catholic about it!

Karen~
Alas, they have horribly mangled this masterpiece. You can read more about it here at Tea At Trianon. Elena has reprinted an article about the film from the English periodical, Catholic Life.

Quote:
The film, apparently, has Ryder rejecting the Catholic faith. In the novel, the relationship between Charles Ryder and Sebastian is not a homosexual one but one of an intense friendship between two young men, not uncommon in those times in England and not unheard of even today; the film makes the relationship an explicitly homosexual one. I urge people not to see the new film but to read the book, which is arguably the greatest Catholic novel in English. The English television version of a few years ago is still obtainable on DVD; it is a faithful adaptation of the novel with some fine acting.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 12:14am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

The other night, we watched The Express: the Ernie Davis Story.   

The first black Heissman trophy winner from Syracuse. It's based off the book Ernie Davis: The Elmira Express, story of a Heissman Trophy Winner

Good movie!! GREAT story! Hollywood should spend more time making sports movies.   

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 6:13am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

SuzanneG wrote:
Karen T wrote:
I have just finished watching the first disc of Brideshead Revisited ...........

Karen~
Alas, they have horribly mangled this masterpiece. You can read more about it here at Tea At Trianon. Elena has reprinted an article about the film from the English periodical, Catholic Life.

Quote:
The film, apparently, has Ryder rejecting the Catholic faith. In the novel, the relationship between Charles Ryder and Sebastian is not a homosexual one but one of an intense friendship between two young men, not uncommon in those times in England and not unheard of even today; the film makes the relationship an explicitly homosexual one. I urge people not to see the new film but to read the book, which is arguably the greatest Catholic novel in English. The English television version of a few years ago is still obtainable on DVD; it is a faithful adaptation of the novel with some fine acting.

If it is multiple discs, I think that she is watching the TV version. I must admit to having never read the book myself, but my friends who have say that the television adaption from years ago is one of the more faithful adaptations of a book to a movie.

Karen, I think that you might either read the book or watch all the discs. The story is extremely Catholic, but it is about very fallen people. I vote keep at it!

The men are not *in love*--it is a very intense friendship, though. The side friend is detestable, but he's supposed to be. Does that help?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 6:20am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I listened to this EWTN radio show discussion about Evelyn Waugh a while back. I don't remember exactly what was discussed, but I think it might help you "get it"--though, it could also ruin the story if you haven't seen it before by telling you what happens.Scroll down to the episode about Evelyn Waugh

Catholic Authors Radio Show EWTN

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Ok, I'm pretty sure what i have is the TV version b/c I looked more carefully at it and there are 4 discs, with multiple episodes on each. I've apparently only watched the 1st episode; I thought I'd at least finished the first disc but there is another on it. So there is a lot more to watch.

Even though there is nothing explicitly homosexual in it, it has things like picnics with strawberries and champagne, with Charles "gazing at Sebastion's lips blowing smoke" (maybe not a direct quote but close). Plus, the side character is quite blatant, and even admits his sexuality to some boys who are trying to throw him into the river (says something about how if they knew anything about psychosexuality they should realize that what he wants most is to be grabbed by big brawny men). And whenever he comes into the room, he kisses Sebastian (once on the lips). It all just seems weird, and I'm really surprised the rest of the men at the college put up with Anthony (? - the blatant one).

Well, I'd much rather read the book, but OTOH, Anthony Andrews (plays Sebastian) is really easy on the eyes! I loved him in The Scarlet Pimpernel; in this he reminds me of young Robert Redford in The Great Gatsby.

I guess I'll watch a few more episodes and decide. Thanks!
Karen

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

SuzanneG wrote:

Quote:

Well, after I posted my reply, I went and read all of this, and now I want to read the book first!!! Mmm, wonder if our library has a copy I can get right away! (patience is not my forte)

Karen

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

One we just saw last week Miracle is about the 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team. WOW. some language but not much.. and it's a very good story. I love that they don't villianize the Soviet team. You know how in oh.. Mighty Ducks, the winning team wins because the coach pushes them and they play "dirty" (taking out other players etc) and the Ducks are the good guys and support each other and play clean and win.. nothing here.. the soviets simply had the best hockey team for 20 years.. they'd won the Gold medal for Hockey in 1964, 1968, 1972 and 1976.. and it's about the US team working hard and a bit differently to be able to beat this "giant".

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 5:28pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Twilight -(grownup - total chick flick)

Narnia:Prince Caspian (Family movie, i liked it better than the first one at times. Ok, it was the mouse. I loved the mouse...)

City of Ember (family movie - we liked it)

Burn after Reading (grownup movie - was 'eh')

(twilight again, just me....)

Wanted (grownup - total guy movie)

Mamma Mia! - (Colin Firth! DH says TOTAL chick flick. Other than that, and the fact that these songs will take up residence in your brain for days, I would like to know what casting director thought Pierce Brosnan could sing?)

(twilight again...)

X-Files (required watching for longtime x-files fans. was eh.)

5 Children and It (Family movie. Liked it.)

The Last Mimzy (Family Movie, while most of us thought is was ok, however dd6 *loves* this movie.)

Hellboy (don't ask. Dh read the comics, so there ya go...actually wasn't as horrid as I was assuming)

Kung Fu Panda (I fell asleep, so I have no idea, but everyone else seemed to like it.)

The Dark Knight (GROWNUP - DH is a batman fan, there was no way around this one. I didn't like it. He did.)

(oh, and maybe twilight again....)

Expelled: No Inteligence Allowed(grownup/teen - pretty awful.)

Dan in Real Life (grownup, liked it...)

Annie (just dd6 & I - she loved it.)

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 9:42pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Dark Knight - liked it, but it should be rated R, no blood and gore, but Joker is very nasty.
Ocean's 11, 12 and 13- love 11, like 12, not-so-much 13 . Dd 13 can watch 11 and 12 with just a little editing. Brad Pitt is so funny in them!
Burn After Reading- funny, but a little strange and off-beat. Certainly not for everyone. There is a LOT of implied though not shown adultery. Again, Brad Pitt is funny!
Copying Beethoven- didn't like at all. Very fragmented and poorly directed, IMO.
The Three Musketeers- Gene Kelly, a family favorite!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 02 2009 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote DianaC

We recently watched Facing the Giantsand it was awesome! I highly recommend it! My dd and I discussed afterward that we would really love it if more movies based on faith in and reliance on God were made.
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 02 2009 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

I haven't been here in a while and am wondering about the BRIDESHEAD REVISITED discussion. I have the 1981 TV miniseries that Ignatius Press sells (that would be this one) in my queue. It sounds like that is the good one and the article in Catholic Life is talking about the 2008 movie, right?

Anyway, we've watched:
Eagle Eye (really liked it; think I, ROBOT meets ENEMY OF THE STATE, but without Will Smith. We loved both of those movies...this one was not quite as good)
After the Truth (liked it)
Sophie Scholl: The Final Days (loved it)
The Ninth Day (really liked it)
Au Revior Les Enfants (liked it)
Saint Rita (really liked it, but compared to what we've read about the life of Saint Rita, it was highly dramatized)
Saint Anthony (liked it)
The Passion of Bernadette (loved it)
The Face: Jesus In Art (really liked it)
Picturing Mary (really liked it)

"cactus mouse" reminds me that at the end of December we also watched The Dark Knight and I didn't care for it, although my husband did. As Molly mentioned, I was really bothered by The Joker. Also, we were disappointed by Hancock and The X-Files: I Want to Believe.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: March 02 2009 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Dh and I watched A Streetcar Named Desire the past two days. What a dark, depressing movie! Dh says that Tennessee Williams was just like quite a few other Southern writers in that way. I just could not find much of redeeming value in that story.

I watched A Walk to Remember with my two oldest girls not too long ago. What a great movie for teens!

The entire family watched St. John Bosco: Mission to Love recently. It was in Italian and subtitled. It was excellent. It was hard work helping the non-readers know what was going on due to the subtitles, but worth it!

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2009 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Stephanie_Q wrote:
I haven't been here in a while and am wondering about the BRIDESHEAD REVISITED discussion. I have the 1981 TV miniseries that Ignatius Press sells

Saint Rita (really liked it, but compared to what we've read about the life of Saint Rita, it was highly dramatized)

Yes, that is the same Brideshead that I am watching. I read the book last week, after watching the first 2 episodes, and now it makes more sense.
Oh, be forewarned, there have been at least two scenes with rear nudity (of Sebastian and Charles) so far but nothing else even remotely PG-13

I wanted to ask which movie of St Rita you saw? is it one of the ones Ignatius press has? I just saw the Padre Pio one and loved it, and a friend told me she'd seen the St. Rita one and liked it also. I have a bio of St. Rita on the table that I've about half-read.

Karen T

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version