Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Need help w/ whole wheat roll recipe Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 23 2005 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Do any of you savvy moms have a tried and true whole wheat roll recipe? It could actually be 50% white/50% whole wheat...my extended family does not like white flour much and I was trying to accomodate them this Thanksgiving. I've tossed in a cup here or there in the past, but I was hoping to really do at least 50/50 this year...Also, more fiber means less points for me as I venture forth into the holidays doing my Weight Watchers...

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 23 2005 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Jennifer,
Using my bread machine to mix the dough, I use 1.5 cups whole wheat to 1 cup oat flour (just grind oats in food processor) to 1.5 cups white. That's 4 cups altogether. And I substitute olive oil for the fat. It makes a really yummy roll. Oh... I throw in a couple tbls. gluten powder now and then.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 23 2005 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I like this one. I used to always make it for Thanksgiving but forgot to buy the wheat flour this year.    It's from the Joy of Cooking:

Whole Grain Rolls        Makes about 40 Rolls

Prepare dough for Whole Grain Bread and after first rising shape into rolls.

Whole Grain Bread

To prepare yeast combine:
1/4 C 105-115 F water
1 package active dry yeast
Let dissolve for 3-5 min.

In a separate bowl combine:
1 beaten egg
1/4 C melted butter
2 1/2 C lukewarm water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4-1/2C sugar, honey or maple syrup

Add without sifting a mixture of
4 C whole-grain flour
4 C all purpose flour

Knead for 10 minutes. Grease a large clean bowl evenly, put dough in and then turn over so that entire surface of the dough is lightly greased. Cover with cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, 1-2 hours.

Punch down (I think I kneaded a few minutes more at this point) and then shape into rolls. Let rise again until almost doubled in size. Butter tops (I'm pretty sure I didn't do this) and sprinkle with coarse salt, chopped nuts, or sesame seeds (I know I didn't do this).

Bake in preheated 400F oven for 15-20 min.

I hope the directions are clear. The roll recipe sends you to the bread recipe sends you to basic instructions on making bread and then back again, but I tried to make it readable. I remember these being a more filling roll than the standard white roll and with a nice flavor. I hope your family likes it!

Good luck with WW. My first time to WW I joined the week before Thanksgiving and managed to lose 7 pounds by New Years (now I just try to maintain). I made lifetime the next summer, and now I go back to get in shape between pregnancies.   

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 23 2005 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Gwen,
Thanks for the recipe...it sounds yummy! I don't have any oat flour so I think I will try Rachel's instead but I plan on making yours soon (maybe for Christmas!).

Rachel,
Thanks so much for typing all that out for me! I actually have the Joy of Cooking ( a wedding present many, many moons ago, so I understand what you were talking about changing the recipe for the rolls!). They sound yummy and make a lot, which I will need, since we have a big crew this year!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 23 2005 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jdostalik wrote:
I don't have any oat flour so I think I will try Rachel's instead but I plan on making yours soon (maybe for Christmas!).

You can make your own oat flour by putting oats into a blender and grinding until they are powder/flour. It's pretty quick.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2005 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

MaryM wrote:
You can make your own oat flour by putting oats into a blender and grinding until they are powder/flour. It's pretty quick.

Gwen,
I remember doing that to make baby oatmeal. I don't have a bread maker. What more do you put in?

Jennifer,
I hope it worked out! I love the Joy of Cooking (did you know it tells you how to tap a tree for syrup), but it's not always the easiest book to follow. I didn't want to plagerize but I also I thought if you ran into trouble you could consult the original text.    I'm glad you had a copy handy!

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 25 2005 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote momwise

I add 1.5 cup water, a couple TBLS. olive oil and a tsp. of salt, 2TBLS. honey and the 4 cups of grains. I haven't made bread without the machine in quite a while...sorry. But it should work fine.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 08 2005 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Gwen, I tried your recipe this week, and Thomas, my pickiest eater, loved it as did we all. Here is how I made it:

1.5 C whole wheat flour
1 C ground old fashioned oats
1.5 C white flour
1.5 C warm water
2 TBSP olive oil
1 tsp salt
2 TBSP honey
And although I didn't see it listed, I threw in a package of yeast.   

I mixed the dry ingr with a fork, let the yeast stand in some of the water for about 5 min until it was activated then combined it with the rest of the wets and poured it into the dry ingredients. I added the rest of the water, kneaded it, and put it in a covered oiled bowl to rise. After I punched it down, I shaped it and then let it rise again. I cooked it at 400F for 15-20 min.

The result was a dense roll that had a more mild flavor than the one that is just whole wheat and white flour. I liked it, but I didn't let them rise long enough (I forgot that the cold weather slows things down and only let the dough sit for 1 1/2 hours). Next time I'll start the dough in the morning so that they can really rise. I think that will improve the texture (to my mouth), but these disappeared in one meal so they were obviously not considered sub-standard!

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 08 2005 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

I am going to try thes ... Thanks for posting everyone (and thank you other Rachel for posting all your ingredients and non breadmachine method!!)

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 11 2005 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I hope it helps. It helped me to think it out step by step.

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Rachel May wrote:
Gwen, I tried your recipe this week, and Thomas, my pickiest eater, loved it as did we all.

Rachel May wrote:
And although I didn't see it listed, I threw in a package of yeast.   

Your recipe is exactly the same as mine. And I do add yeast    Glad you liked them!

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

I tried them... they were yummy (especially when freshly bakesd... I have a weakness for freshly baked, warm bread )!!

Thanks Ladies... this is on my keeper list! (The kids them BTW)

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Thanks from me too! I made the all-time worst rolls for Thanksgiving -- I think my yeast was dead . Even my FIL was joking about it (put 'em out for the birds, but just don't let the kids throw them, they might kill the birds ). Anyway, I'll try to redeem myself at Christmas (same crowd, but at my house this time) with one of these two recipes.....

keep your collective fingers' crossed, please

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version