Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: All Things Girl Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

by Teresa Tomeo

Has anyone read any of the books in this series?

All Things Girl

I am so tempted to get these for my dd and niece, but I would love to hear a personal review first.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote Anne

Looks great to me too. I can't wait to hear from someone who has read these books.

Blessings,

Back to Top View Anne's Profile Search for other posts by Anne

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh oh... I'm "holding my breath" for a review too .. got a "tween" girl now and another rapidly behind.. they look great

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I'm looking at these also, they do look great and like something my daughter would love (and needs right now!) Anyone????

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

I read about this book at the end of the summer from a review at Catholic Exchange, and it seemed like a good book. I asked Linda Nelson at Sacred Heart Books and Gifts if she knew anything about it. I am waiting for her review. I did see Teresa Tomeo at the Midwest Family Conference and she was a dynamic speaker.

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

I haven't seen the books. But I am acquainted with Teresa Tomeo and Monica Miller. Very trustworthy, devout women. The question is, were these written for public school girls? If so they may address issues more bluntly or prematurely than is appropriate for most homeschooled girls.

My guess would be that they are well worth having, but for mom to use portions of with her daughter as she sees the need. Given the authors, they are probably very helpful.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Bridget, Good point. I felt that way about some of the Amy Welborn books for teens - definetly written for kids in a public school setting.

Kind of a spin off question -- maybe I should start a new thread for this. My daughters closest friend is in public school. She was homeschooled for a few years off and on, and she has many older siblings. She is from a great family, as a matter of fact her parents are godparents to one of my own children. But I definetly see a difference in her, um, 'exposure' to different things. Sometimes I wonder if books like this would be helpful for my kids in the way that they could understand a little better the differences that they have noticed from them and some of their non-homeschooled friends? (with in the context of orthodox Catholic teaching?) Or is this thinking too dangerous?

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

KristinaP
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote KristinaP

Bridget wrote:
I haven't seen the books. But I am acquainted with Teresa Tomeo and Monica Miller. Very trustworthy, devout women. The question is, were these written for public school girls? If so they may address issues more bluntly or prematurely than is appropriate for most homeschooled girls.

My guess would be that they are well worth having, but for mom to use portions of with her daughter as she sees the need. Given the authors, they are probably very helpful.

Yes, I have one of these books and it does seem to be geared for the ps crowd. I had to pick through what was appropriate for my daughter and paper clip some of the pages that talk about Emus/Goths and some other character typing. The overall message was great, though. One hang-up I have, though is proofreading/editing and there were a few mistakes that could have been avoided that made the overall feel of the book "cheaply" done.
Back to Top View KristinaP's Profile Search for other posts by KristinaP

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Lisa, I am pretty much in the same situation.. but we are in a small town and homeschoolers are small in number.. so most kids including my nephews that are here in town now and we see a lot are public schooled. So my kids aren't sheltered near as much because we'd have to be soooo isolating to do so.

I rather like the idea of reading the books with the girls anyway.

My guess is what you're talking about you'd want to read it and then share what you feel might be helpful.

So much also depends on the child's personality. My oldest isn't swayed too much.. but the next girl down wants to be cool or hip or whatever it is any more.. so some of the books sound like they'd be really good for her even at age 8.. like the one on dressing modestly but stylish etc.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Lisbet wrote:

Kind of a spin off question -- maybe I should start a new thread for this. My daughters closest friend is in public school. She was homeschooled for a few years off and on, and she has many older siblings. She is from a great family, as a matter of fact her parents are godparents to one of my own children. But I definetly see a difference in her, um, 'exposure' to different things. Sometimes I wonder if books like this would be helpful for my kids in the way that they could understand a little better the differences that they have noticed from them and some of their non-homeschooled friends? (with in the context of orthodox Catholic teaching?) Or is this thinking too dangerous?

It depends on the child, I'm sure. I have one teen that pretty much is in his own world, things just pass by him. Another is very astute and he wouldn't have a problem telling another kid they are in sin, need to go to confession or are heretical. He is usually right, but speaking that way isn't the way to help people in their Christian walk.

For him a book that addresses certain issues that he may face with friends would give him the language to respond in charity. That may be the case with your daughter if things are coming up with her friends. Most of us don't know what to say till the moment has passed.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Rumpleteazer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro
"Cormac"

Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote Rumpleteazer

Thanks for sharing these! I'll have to add them to my wish-list... definitely something I'd like to read and review for my blog!

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Clare, I actually checked your blog for a review!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Dec 05 2008 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I wrote and asked for a review copy and they declined.

Molly wrote:
please refer your readers to www.runwaytoreality.org for a review posted by Neva and also Patti Armstrong's review and article on Catholic Exchange. This may answer some of their questions. You may also direct them to my email if they would like to correspond with me or to www.teresatomeo.com to correspond with Teresa Tomeo.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2008 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Elizabeth - that's crazy - you would be PERFECT to review this!!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2008 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Yes, the review at Catholic Exchange is the one that I read and which started me on this trek. But I think that we do need more reviews. I know Elizabeth is busy, but as Lisa wrote, she would be perfect in reviewing this book! Could you consider this a second to Lisa's motion?

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 09 2008 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Another review!

Lisa Hendey

Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 09 2008 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

Thanks for doing the legwork, ladies! I saw these on CHC's website and I wondered what on earth they were. Looked cool but there was little info. This looks like something my 11yo would love.

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 11 2008 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

I took the plunge and bought 4 books of the series. I ordered from amazon and should receive them for Christmas. They were MUCH cheaper to order through amazon.

I would still love to hear a review from someone here....

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 11 2008 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

A series you might be interested in ladies (especially for teens) are the two by Carmen Marcoux (a Canadian):
Arms of Love and Surrender -- they're a bit pricey, but well-worth it especially if you pass them around to other girls!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2008 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote Bella

Since they are sold through CHC, I can't imagine that they are not appropriate for hsers. On Amazon, there are three reviews by Catholic moms-all loving them.

For Christmas,I bought the series for my 12yodd-but will hold back the one that includes issues with boys-until I can read it first.

She is also getting Beautiful Girlhood and the Companion Book. (Thanks, Aunt D!)

Back to Top View Bella's Profile Search for other posts by Bella

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version