Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: All Things Girl Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 01 2009 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Anyone got any further comment on these? I would really like to get the All Things Girl and All Things Guy - just need to hear a few more recommendations?

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 01 2009 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

We have three of the All Things Girl books so far. My 11yo daughter has really enjoyed them. They are sort of a magazine format, with short articles, quizzes, lots of graphics, etc. I think they are for girls 10 and up due to some of the subject matter.

She really liked the modesty book as it is filled with advice on clothing and examples of types of appropriate things to wear. It's nice that the ATG books are modern. We were looking through a lot of the links provided by another popular Catholic modesty book and she was surprised that so many of them featured Amish/plain style clothing. Not very encouraging!

Amazon sells them for $17.99, which seems like a lot for a thin book, but there are pretty few offerings out there in this category. A couple of the books are $9.99 but I'm not sure why.

I haven't yet heard anything about the "leader's guide" or girl's journal but I'm curious to know what's in these.

My only "guy" is just turning 3 this Friday, so I haven't invested any time or money in the All Things Guy series yet.

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 01 2009 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Marilyn, my 12yr. old dd loves these books. It has encouraged her to seek modest clothing styles, when my words in that direction were only questioned. Somehow, she could really relate to the style and content of writing. I also recently gave her the journal, which helps keep herself accountable with prayer and attitude. It is a very easy read and the layout is attractive and modern as LeeAnn stated above. Maybe just start with one of the books to get an impression. I have not yet heard or read a negative comment on the series.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

St. Ann wrote:
Marilyn, my 12yr. old dd loves these books. It has encouraged her to seek modest clothing styles, when my words in that direction were only questioned. Somehow, she could really relate to the style and content of writing. I also recently gave her the journal, which helps keep herself accountable with prayer and attitude. It is a very easy read and the layout is attractive and modern as LeeAnn stated above. Maybe just start with one of the books to get an impression. I have not yet heard or read a negative comment on the series.

Thanks Stephanie. I want to get one for my dd for Easter - which would you start with. I was thinking of either the Beauty or Modesty one.

About the journal - can you use independently or do you have to have all the books to use?

Thanks

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Marilyn, "Girls Rock" does not cover a specific topic alone, but rather forms the basis for all the issues that interest girls or might preoccupy them.   The main theme is that YOU are made beautifully in the image and likeness of God, just as you are , and that is worth celebrating... Saints as examples of living a feminine, full life, virtues, vocations and the true meaning of feminism as in the Feminine Genius. I see this book as the foundation for the whole series.
On a practical level, the modesty volume comes in real handy and my dd refers to it often. If a girl would be having accute issues specifically regarding her body image then you could start with the Beauty issue to get right to the point, so to speak.
Regarding the journal, you can start the journal at anytime. "Girls Rock" is enough background to get a lot out of it. The Journal is a very thin book, but is well structured imo. My dd was thrilled to get it and does use it.
I hope this helps and that your dd loves the series just as much.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2009 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Can someone tell me more about the modesty book? I'm wondering what kinds of standards she has suggested...

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Macmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 28 2009 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote Macmom

There is now a review on Amazon from a homeschooled teen, and she panned the books. (ie- DIDN'T like them). If her reasoning is sound, and what she perceives in the books to be true, I'd preview them first or forget them altogether.

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2009 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Thanks, Macmom. That was very helpful. I think I'll wait till I see them on a shelf and can read a few chapters first before buying.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 10 2009 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

I wanted to bump this up to see if there are any fresh insights. I looked at that review from the "homeschooled teen", and there seems to be some doubt as to who really wrote that review. It could have been a teen using her mother's account, or the mother writing it as the teen.

My oldest is almost seven, but in her mind she's a teenager. I was thinking about the Girls Rock! or Mind Your Manners might be good to go through with her. I'm more hesitant about the beauty and boys ones after reading that review.

Just thought I'd see if anyone else had anything to add. Unfortunately, these aren't available through our library for preview.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version