Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Christmas gifts for younger girls? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 12:13am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

beanie baby size or smaller?

the webkinz have some mini animals (a small fish, bird and such) probably about the size of a softballs.. webkinz are big here right now.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 12:16am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

JodieLyn wrote:
beanie baby size or smaller?

Definitely smaller. Closer to the size of Calico Critters, but soft, like a stuffed animal.

And, yep, Webkinz are big here too. If I really wanted to make my almost 6yo happy, I'd buy her all screen-related gifts because she loves them. Webkinz, Nintendo ds games, dvds . . . . So I'm working on non-screen creative play.

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

tallulah23 wrote:
Those that mentioned kitchen sets...do you have any affordable suggestions? Any that aren't cheaply made but will still last? Dh is on the fence about it since it is pricey for us, but I REALLY think my 2yr old dd will LOVE it! :)

We have the wood one from Target. It has stood up to 3 years of hard play at my home.

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

teachingmom wrote:

Anyone else want to comment on whether play silks are really worth it?

I think playsilks are worth it. My boys have had them since they were around 1, and they have gotten so much use out of them. They use them as capes, blankets for toys, play areas, etc. We have a few different sizes.

You can buy the silks at Dharma Trading for under $5 and dye them yourself with Kool-Aid

I'm going to buy a few and have the boys dye them for Lydia for her 2nd birthday since the silks we have now are getting ratty. They do take a lot of abuse, though!

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Melanie, very cool do it yourself silks.

I'm a novice at this for sure, when I went to Dharma, there are different "types" of silks. What is the one that is best for this? I have NO fabric experience, but trying to learn

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Bethany
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote Bethany

My girls also love the playsilks. I bought them from Dharma Trading and dyed them myself for this past Easter. Around here they are usually fancy skirts or a table cloth. They are played with everyday! I think they play so much with them because I tend to limit the dress up clothes. All those pieces and the constant changing of outfits can drive me crazy. The main dress up clothes we have are simple dresses, aprons and bonnets my mom made for them last year. They were made with a Butterick pattern I believe and they even wore them on Halloween as Mary, Laura, and baby Carrie.

We're getting a new wood kitchen since the old plactic version broke and I still have plenty of years of kitchen play ahead.

Also, if anyone is near a Homegoods store, they usually have a great selection of pretty good quality books and toys. The books are a little more hit or miss, but I have bought several Melissa and Doug stacking toys and puzzles at great prices. They also will have Playmobil. They recently had the pirate ship and flower shop. I also bought a set of Mother Goose nesting, stacking tower cubes.

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Irene,

Sometimes I just re-gift the toys I already have for the younger set........that I had put away, of course. my 1, 2 and 3yos never know the difference and I just explain to the the olders that it makes no sense buying MORE STUFF for the youngers when we already have enough, good stuff here.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MaryM has a great tutorial for dyeing silks.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

KackyK wrote:
Melanie, very cool do it yourself silks.

I'm a novice at this for sure, when I went to Dharma, there are different "types" of silks. What is the one that is best for this? I have NO fabric experience, but trying to learn

Yes, please share which silks to look for at Dharma Trading. I assume you look under silk scarves, but there are lots of choices. Thanks!

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

]habatoi, I'm not sure if I spelled that correctly . I am pretty sure this is what I used when I dyed scarves years ago.

Of course, I think your 6yo would enjoy a week at the Van Trapp Family Lodge, I saw a New Year's Eve listing on Craig's List recently.

If you go the Kool-Aid route, make sure you do bright, dark colors. We did not have a lot of sucess with light pink. I am happy to help.

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

My almost 6yo would love this.
Illustory

There is also a christian edition.

Along the same lines...

My Masterpiece

My dd is getting an art set from her grandparents that i know she will love.
art set

You can add a lap desk that you can get cheap from Micheals or Walmart.

How about a floor puzzle. My other dd(7yo) will be getting a nice big floor puzzle from her grandparents. She loves puzzles.

Or, if you have a lot of baby dolls, maybe a baby set(playpen, high chair, stroller).

Dd's bday is at the end of December and she has been asking for a set like that all year long. I'm finally giving her one. We dont have many baby dolls here since neither of my dd's like them very much. But this same dd has asked for one so along with the baby set, i'm getting her a baby doll.

Now both dd's are getting the Wowee Alive cubs. One is getting the lion cub and the other the white tiger cub. This is the only gift they are receiving from us. They are pricey but very cute. My dd's understand that they do not move or do tricks but just make cute noises and facial expressions. Stuffed animals are big here so i know these will be played with a lot.

Wowee Alive Cubs

Bethany
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote Bethany

I used these scarves and dyed them with food coloring. I think I bought the 30" square.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 11:39pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Mary Chris wrote:
habatoi, I'm not sure if I spelled that correctly . I am pretty sure this is what I used when I dyed scarves years ago.

Bethany wrote:
I used these scarves and dyed them with food coloring. I think I bought the 30" square.

Thank you Mary Chris and Bethany! I just ordered 6 of the 35" x 35" habotai scarves for my two youngest girls to share. (What a great savings over the ready made ones!) I'm thinking I may package them with the materials for dyeing them and include the older of the two girls in the process. She loves crafts and this could be part of the fun of the gift for her. I am saying this partly because I don't know how I could dye them between now and Christmas and keep them a secret around here.

Mary Chris wrote:
Of course, I think your 6yo would enjoy a week at the Van Trapp Family Lodge, I saw a New Year's Eve listing on Craig's List recently.

You know her well! She would definitely be in heaven. Last Christmas I found two perfect gifts for her. A vintage Sound of Music book on eBay and a Fraulein Maria Barbie doll!

Mary Chris wrote:
I am happy to help.

Thanks! We will likely be calling you in late Dec/ early Jan when we're ready to dye.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

graciefaith wrote:
My almost 6yo would love this.
Illustory

There is also a christian edition.

Along the same lines...

My Masterpiece

Those are really great ideas. I noticed that the same company offers a "Make a Plate" kit. The child does the art work and you mail it in. Then they send you a melanine plate with the child's design permanently printed on it. Both my 8yo and my 5yo have birthdays in January. I'm thinking they may both get the plate kits . . . .

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 11:55pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

teachingmom wrote:
Another question: A few months back I was at a play rehearsal with some of the girls. A few girls in the play brought small animal toys that looked interesting. They were not Calico Critters, of which we have one set that does not get played with . They looked like tiny plush toys - maybe a few inches in length. (Close to the size of Littlest Pet Shop animals, but soft.) I think the girls would play with those and enjoy them. Any ideas what they were?

I think I figured out what they were.
Only Hearts Club Pets

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 12:15am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Irene if those are the plate kits I'm thinking of.. you can send in more than one plate per kit.. you get one with the purchase of the kit (or at least cheaper) but then others are cheaper than buying a second kit. I think when I did them I got one kit per two kids.. maybe even three kids.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version