Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: breakfast/lunch no microwave/cold source Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 06 2008 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Our family is out the door for a weekend break at a fancy hotel where my dh will be working at a conference. The thing about fancy hotels is that they don't have microwaves or refrigerators in the rooms. I just don't want to do the cooler routine - blech - I want this to actually be a break for me! So...what foods would you bring to get your family through breakfast and lunch with ease? We'll eat dinner out. Thanks!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2008 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Peanut butter w/honey or bananas?

Granola bars?

Pop tarts (horrible yes, but my ds loves them and eats them cold .)

Trail mix?

Fresh fruit, fruit cups, etc.

Have a FUN WEEKEND!!!!!

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 06 2008 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

My kids really enjoy Nutri-Grain type bars for breakfast. You can pick up individual size containers of oj and other juices as well.

Lunch isn't so easy. I think I'd be tempted to find a nice sandwich place for lunch.    Or...splurge and do the room service thing??? If not that, maybe a nice selection of granolas, crackers, fruit, tuna/chicken salad kits - munchy type lunch options.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2008 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

Mini cereal boxes and shelf stable milk. If you need the milk cold, you can put it in the ice bucket. You can get the single servings of milk at all the local grocery stores.

Peanut butter and crackers (crackers don't smush like bread).

Granola bars.

Have fun!!

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2008 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Muffins and donuts for breakfast accompanied by juice packs. I like to bring a fruit bowl, but that won't work if you don't bring a cooler.

For lunch you can do PB&J, granola bars, fresh fruit, chips and crackers.

Have a great weekend.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2008 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Those new individual pastas, couscous, or rice bowls that you add hot water to, just heat it up in the coffee pot and you're good to go.

ETA: Oatmeal for breakfast too!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2008 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Ladies, your help was perfect! For this trip I ended up taking shelf-stable milk and Cheerios (a real treat here because I haven't purchased bottled milk in some time - we use a high quality dry milk from at a local dairy), Nutrigrain bars/cherry, bread/almond butter/honey, tuna/chicken salad kits (I didn't know that these existed - I know, I know, I'm shopping impaired!), fruit/applesauce cups, tea and biscotti.

I look forward to using some of the other ideas in the future. I'm so sold on these "skip the cooler and microwave" ideas that I may use them in the future even if we do have access to both. The ease of packing and serving is awesome! Thanks again!!!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2008 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Oh...we had a blast, thank you! We were the only family there with children so, as usual, we stuck out of the crowd . Fortunately, the children did very well and I was relaxed (praise God) in spite of the tendency to want to tighten up under golf resort circumstances. The people who worked at the resort were very welcoming and the patrons either ignored us or gave us a smile. The young man at the pool was happy for our company and my dh received several positive comments from others at the conference on how well-behaved and happy we all looked. Like I told the children, if you can't be happy lounging by a gorgeous pool on a picture-perfect day, you'll never be happy! Thanks for sharing in the moment .

Love,

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2008 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Sounds like you had a great time! I will admit that hauling in a cooler can be so difficult. I am glad to hear that you were relaxed and that the children were perfect. Never mind about sticking out in the crowd ...

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 18 2010 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I'm bumping this to see if you all have more ideas for pantry-stable travel food ideas. I'll be stocking my travel shelf to be ready for quick get-aways. Thanks!

Love,

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 18 2010 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

crackers and shelf stable spreadable cheese.. or those cans of spray cheese

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 20 2012 at 11:55pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Bumping again! Are there any new products out there that you enjoy that are shelf stable? We're off to a weekend tournament and we're a bit tired of the same old same old .

Thanks!

Love,

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2012 at 2:05am | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

Madras lentils from Costco are a favorite here. We eat them with tortilla chips. Jerky is a hit with our children. Freeze-dried fruits, or just dried fruits, are a staple around here. Veggie chips, if they are liked, make a nice snack or lunch addition.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 21 2012 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

For portable meals we've been enjoying:

* cheese sticks (in an insulated bag if you can bring an ice pack or 2),
* Babybel cheese which we can buy in bulk at Costco
* little individual bags of popcorn, or just pop a big batch and put them in individual bags (ummmm I could live on popcorn alone for an embarrassingly long time! )
* pickles
* canned fruit with the easy pop top
* almonds and walnuts for a good source of protein, or a nut-heavy granola mix with a few dried cranberries for just a touch of sweet.

I'm awful with breakfast. Just awful. Just give me a cup of coffee and I'm good. Sadly, other people want to eat. sigh.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 23 2012 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Thank you, ladies!

Jen, I LOVE breakfast...its the last meal of the day that I have little interest in - just give me a protein drink and I'm good.

Love,

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version