Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: packing for a quick get-away Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 12 2010 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

What we do here (and how timely since we're leaving on Friday!):

the kids pack their own stuff - we have a basic list:

undies x days gone
sleepwear
swimsuit/trunks
outfits x days gone

Now the outfits -- depends. If we know we'll be out and about, they will be clothing that's nice enough for going out but also not too nice that they can't play/run around in them.
Plus we usually pack one outfit for Mass.

The outfits are put together for each day -- and rolled together... i.e., in one roll you'll have
underwear
shirt
pants/shorts/skirt
socks

That way when you pull a roll out it's everything, and 1 roll=1 day
The only exception is if you're using a skirt or shorts for a couple of days.

+ their own toothbrush
bath towel if we won't be at a hotel
and reading

-- all of these go into their own backpack which they are responsible for

Dad and I and baby usually go in one suitcase, plus I have my tote and Dad has his backpack for any personal stuff and last-minute items
Dad takes care of all toiletries the family will need (moisturizer, sunscreen, toothpaste, shampoo, body wash, razors, etc. since he travels a lot and is used to packing all of this stuff he's the expert )

I take care of the food -- snacks, drinks, etc. If it's going to be a long drive I try to prepare something that's a finger food but still substantial, e.g., kimbap plus homemade cookies and larabars.

We're picky about pillows so we always bring 1 pillow each.

We have a "travel list" on the refrigerator all the time that we check off before we leave (lights out, doors locked, fish fed, etc.)

I try to have ALL LAUNDRY DONE AND PUT AWAY by the day before we need to pack, so everyone has what they need. If they didn't put it in the laundry, it doesn't get washed, and they'll just have to deal with it.

Someone (usually the older kids) take care of electronics -- dh and I and dd-19 bring our own laptops and cellphones, 13-yo brings the iPod and wires and chargers, 11-yo and 8-yo take care of any movies/audiobooks they want to bring.

I take care of programming whatever needs to be programmed into the GPS.

We do a lot of pre-packing preparation, as you can see, but the actual packing itself takes probably 30 minutes since everyone takes care of their own stuff.

We always remind each other about SHOES!! because we've forgotten before and it's so frustrating to go to Mass without the proper shoes on. We try to bring only one extra pair besides the one we're wearing, if necessary (IOW, mom can't/shouldn't bring boots/sneakers/sandals/thongs/clogs if she can manage with just sandals ).

The boy scouts and scoutmaster worry about packing the meds and first aid kits, etc.

DH takes care of gas and cash the day before we leave.

I don't know if I've forgotten anything, but there are already lots of suggestions here so perhaps you're covered! :)

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 12 2010 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I keep a small box of small trash bags in the van.. helps those moments

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2010 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

I'm loving this thread! I can so relate to the need for "Green Supplies"...not the environmentally friendly kind either!

To save on carrying many bottles or containers of meds, it can be much simpler to use one or two of those multi-section days-of-the-week containers...using your handy dandy label makers (or plain old stickers), re-label each section with the name of the contents. If you need it to be childsafe, you can keep it in a locked cashbox with other first aid items.

We have so many prescriptions in our household, we now store them all in a single plastic drawer unit...if we have to go on an unexpected trip (like when dd delivers baby(ies)!), we simply take the entire drawer with us...when we reach our destination we park the drawer way atop a frig or high shelf, far out of reach of grandkids! Inside the same drawer unit we try to keep updated medical information that might be needed when we're away from home.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 12 2010 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh and mainly during the summer I keep a "diaper bag" in the van.. extra.. it has an extra set of clothes for the toddler aged, extra diapers and extra wipes. It lives in the van. This is not the diaper bag I carry with me.. it's one that stays with the van.

Even if I don't have enough diapers in there for a full trip I have enough to get us through several days which usually is plenty of time to run by a store and replish.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 12 2010 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Servant2theKing wrote:
Beyond lists (and these ideas are awesome), it can be helpful to keep certain items packed and always ready...

We keep a container in our MB closet (since we don't have a coat closet)....it's always loaded with:

someon is assigned...grabbing the "golden basket", adding extra supplies if needed, then carrying it to the van.

For longterm travel, we've found nesting, stacking bins and backpacks work better for us than suitcases. ...

We keep a small cooler in our pantry, always ready to be loaded. We recently acquired water bottles and have a bucket ..

...a routine that has developed gently, which makes leaving the house and coming home much smoother!

DH and I were recently discussing putting together a binder or notebook for maps and directions that we get online.   

Ah ha! Now I know what I'm going to do. I'm going to have SERVANT come and organize us out the door for trips .

So I'm on the right track...

I need a container for basics. (I love giving it a name like "The Golden Basket"

I need a place for The Golden Basket as well as other travel goods: cooler, bins, backpacks, bucket for water bottles, laminated checklist, transition plan, travel binder,    

For van travel, use bins instead of suitcases combined with backpacks.

Hey, I have a map binder...but turning it into a travel binder makes a ton of sense.

I've been meaning to share our latest on habit formation about transitions in general...like what servant shares above. Another time .

Goodness this is all helpful! Thanks.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 12 2010 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

My dh does have a "travel uniform" - he keeps jeans, a black polo shirt and a red pullover sweater ready to go at all times.

Hmmm...

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 12 2010 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

We haven't camped in some time, sigh. And I do want to brag about when I had three littles and flew alone with them with only carry-on for cross country trips! Ahhh, there was a time when I had this act together .

JennGM wrote:
Becky Parker wrote:
I'll admit, even with lists and having some things ready to go I still find it stressful. We try to pack our own food for most trips (it's not always easy to find GF on the road) and that does add to the work. Having a list of "vacation menus" helps, but I'm always frantically packing coolers the hour before we leave.

Angie, were you looking for stress-free solutions? Because even though I can pack quickly, I still do stress out, just like Becky said.

Jenn, that's a good question. No, I don't think I'm especially stressed out. Neither is my dh. My children are WAY too laid back . Don't get me wrong, I eventually get stressed out...when I feel like we're chasing our tail and the clock is ticking! But if I had to choose a feeling to express, it would be *frustrated.*

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 12 2010 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

No, I meant when packing, stress-free packing. I add on the stress.

I wish I was a more relaxed person overall. Working on it.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 12 2010 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

JodieLyn wrote:
or seperate.. not just streamline

You can combine lists for a trip..

Got it. For now I need lists by:

Season: Summer, Winter
Location/Activity: Beach, Mountains, Resort,
Length of Stay: Overnight, Weekend, Week

I really like the separate/combo approach...my master list is WAY too long.

Love,

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 12 2010 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

hylabrook1 wrote:
Something we keep in the car is a dishpan containing baby wipes (because these have lots of uses), a roll of paper towels, and a box of kleenex.

I'm glad you mentioned this, Nancy. We have an actual drawer under one of our seats where we hold some of these items, but a *dishpan* would be very helpful - a multi-utility container.

Love,

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 12 2010 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

stefoodie wrote:

The outfits are put together for each day -- and rolled together... i.e., in one roll you'll have
underwear
shirt
pants/shorts/skirt
socks

That way when you pull a roll out it's everything, and 1 roll=1 day

...backpack for any personal stuff and last-minute items

We're picky about pillows so we always bring 1 pillow each.

We have a "travel list" on the refrigerator all the time that we check off before we leave (lights out, doors locked, fish fed, etc.)

I try to have ALL LAUNDRY DONE AND PUT AWAY

We do a lot of pre-packing preparation, as you can see, but the actual packing itself takes probably 30 minutes since everyone takes care of their own stuff.

We always remind each other about SHOES!!

DH takes care of gas and cash the day before we leave.

I don't know if I've forgotten anything, but there are already lots of suggestions here so perhaps you're covered! :)

Perfect, stef!

Oooooooo...I think I'm going to consolidate all this good stuff into the McPlan .

Love,

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 12 2010 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

JennGM wrote:
No, I meant when packing, stress-free packing. I add on the stress.

I wish I was a more relaxed person overall. Working on it.
Oh Jenn, I meant that I wasn't stressed by packing although my writing reads that I'm oh so laid back in general . That's funny.

Love,

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 17 2010 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Angie,
I'm so late to this party! And, I haven't read all of the amazing responses...I just skimmed.

I'm going to throw a couple of things at you that have helped us tremendously just in case you're still open to ideas. If I duplicate - ignore me!

We do a lot of 2 and 3 day trips. I'm GREAT at coordinating packing for these!!

** Everyone has their own bag! Everyone! I learned a few years ago that the easiest thing for us to pack in was a canvas bag! I purchase ours from Lands End overstocks and each person gets a different color handle...they pack easily in the van...they stand up and open for easy packing and removal of items...they fold up flat and store in the bottom of closets. Also, I have a couple of older children now that require toiletry bags - I purchased the smaller version of their large canvas bag for them. The matching bags (handle colors) helps us know which bag goes with whom! This alone transformed our organization when packing and rolling.

** I recycled old diaper pail liners we had (you can see examples of what I'm talking about here) and they work great for dirty laundry! Each person's bag gets a clean folded liner. As they go through clothes on the trip, they put dirty clothes in the liners (keeping it in their bags). When we get home, the dirty clothes bags go right in the laundry room and the bags with any remaining clean clothes go directly up to rooms for putting away.

** I store bags ready for packing. Here's what that is like here...The large canvas bag contains a folded, clean diaper liner bag (for collecting dirty laundry), and the matching toiletry bag with 2 large ziploc bags inside it (for containing shampoos, etc.). The large canvas bag folds flat and stores in our closets, but would work just as well under a bed.

** When packing, I let the children know how many days to pack for, and give specifics for packing...1 set of church clothes, 3 sets of play clothes, outside shoes, underthings for 3 days. They know they must make their bed and set out their canvas bag. Next to their bag they set out sets of clothes for me to spot check. After I check that they have the appropriate shoes, socks, clothes, etc., they pack in the bag and bring the bag down to the loading zone.

** We set aside a loading zone in our kitchen. All bags, pillows, movies, lovey items, books, etc. must be here for loading. We unload in the same zone, dropping dirty clothes bags in the laundry room as we come in the house. This makes it so much easier returning bags to rooms with only clean clothes for putting away.

Have fun packing!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 18 2010 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Jen, I can just see your sweet family with their color coordinated canvas bags! Thanks so much for your help.

Here's the McPlan:

Quote:

Travel binder:
Maps
Lists by season, location/activity, length of stay + home exit, packing tips

1 Family Golden Box - clear IKEA container:
large garbage bags
ziplocks
papertowels
knife
underwear
pajamas
disposable toothbrushes and toothpaste
cash for emergency purchases
dishpan
basic toiletries
plasticware

1 24" duffle per member, each in a different color filled with:
2 shoe bags per member
1 laundry bag per member
1 ziplock for personal toiletries

1 soft-shell cooler
1 bucket for water bottles

All containers placed on "Travel Shelf" in garage.

Pantry stable food for trips placed in container in pantry - ideas here

I decided to go with duffle bags because I can find them reasonably priced, in diffferent colors, they store flat, are light weight, and stack easily.

I hope to get all of this together soon. Please share your tips anytime!

Love,

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2010 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote mariB

Given our family situation we have to do the quick pack and go thing.!
Each child has their own bag and they each are responsible to pack. I help the little ones. The kids each have their own satchel for their school items. I have a big book bag and am responsible for medicines, first aid, cameras, etc.

Doing this was difficult at first esp since I don't like last minute changes but have grown over the years and have learned to go with the flow.

By the way, we just did the last minute Disney thing the other day which I never could have done a few years ago.

The main thing is not to bring too much. If you forget it you can live without it. After all, the colonials did!

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 20 2010 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

mariB wrote:
By the way, we just did the last minute Disney thing the other day which I never could have done a few years ago.

The main thing is not to bring too much. If you forget it you can live without it. After all, the colonials did!

Bravo!

Thanks for reminding me to add to our packing tips: PACK LIGHT!

Love,

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2010 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Angie

What a wonderful thread. Your post made me smile.   I've actually only read the 1st post by you and now I'm going to go back and read all the great advice.

My dh would neverleave home on such short notice but I'll still use all the traveling tips I can get!

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2010 at 6:32am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Okay, we just set our first camping date of the season . I'll be using all these great tips to help us get ready! I think I need to be as organized as possible and allow the kids to help more. I have great lists, but tend to be a bit of a controller. I'm going to try giving each kid a list for their personal items plus an area or two of the main items and let them pack some things themselves. (My dd is in charge of cards and games and she's already getting them organized!) We'll see how it goes!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 21 2010 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I have a short trip for a lacrosse game.. but we may get rain.. so what would have been an easy to pack for trip just became complicated. Because for the games the older 3 will be in the weather whatever it is.. twice.. with several hours between.. it won't be warm so they can't stay wet.. and we may not be able to get them dry between games.. so we're looking at at least 3 sets of clothes for soemthing we're not staying overnight for..

blankets and rain/sun shade for the rest of us to stay warm while watching..   

-Sir Walter Scott

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 01 2010 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Gwen, I'm always so glad to see you...and am thrilled that my incompetence has been good for something - giving you a smile .

I've had a blast getting this project together. I'm reviewing everything written here and finishing up the final touches. More ideas?

To the shelf stable food list I added marshmallows .

Love,

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version