Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Nativity Sets for Little Hands Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 07 2005 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have a few nativity sets, but I'm always on the search for a better one. Last year I got the Fisher Price Nativity set. They have upgraded it a bit this year, but they have also added Little Shepherds to buy separately which makes me VERY happy. I had to choose whether one fellow was St. Joseph or a shepherd!

I bought a hand made wood set, but ds was a bit young and was chewing at the crown, and there were some rough spots I needed to sand down. The stable came apart....all in all, it was a disappointment.

My sister, and ds godmother gave him the 3-piece Fontanini Holy Family. He loved playing with that. Shopping this weekend, I saw My First Nativity which has a sturdy stable. I'd love to get this, but it would duplicate our pieces already, and I'd still have to buy the other figures.

So I got a cute catalog in the mail yesterday called "Constructive Playthings" and I'm wondering about a few items. this Wooden Nativity Set is adorable....and teamed with "Tomie's Little Christmas Pageant" seems quite appropriate.

They also have the Playmobil The Christmas Story Set which I think has too many small pieces right now...but I'd love to hear feedback.

And what about a feltboard for the Nativity? Felt-Play Nativity looked really nice. What age is good for felt figures?

Just trying to come up with some other options. I'd love to see some other ideas. I don't think you can have too many nativity sets.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2005 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Jenn -- We got a HABA one from Julie's Stuff -- we didn't get the limited edition one ($84!) but we did get the one lower down on that page that is $40 or so. It's great because it's simply blocks and my littles (and the big ones too, come to think of it ) had so much fun arranging and rearranging and can't break or hurt it!

You could even get other HABA sets (farm animals or trees, etc) to add to the original set!

Hope this helps.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 07 2005 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary G. wrote:
Jenn -- We got a HABA one from Julie's Stuff -- we didn't get the limited edition one ($84!) but we did get the one lower down on that page that is $40 or so. It's great because it's simply blocks and my littles (and the big ones too, come to think of it ) had so much fun arranging and rearranging and can't break or hurt it!

You could even get other HABA sets (farm animals or trees, etc) to add to the original set!

I passed over these block ones on the same site because I wasn't sure! Do you think these are the same brand, because the price difference is huge!

Thanks, Mary! You're so sympatico!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2005 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

We have the Playmobil one without the wise men. I got it for $11 when a store was going out of business. The kids play with it a lot, but it is hard to keep track of all the tiny pieces. I recently found Joseph's beard in with some legos. Now that I think about it, baby Jesus was missing when we packed it away. Maybe I should be shopping for a new one.

We also received the 3 pc Fontanini one at Church. Someone donated a large amount of them to be handed out to every child. The kids play with that one too. It's sturdy. I'd love to get the Willow Tree one, but not for the kids to play with.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2005 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

jenngm67 wrote:
Mary G. wrote:

I passed over these block ones on the same site because I wasn't sure! Do you think these are the same brand, because the price difference is huge!

Thanks, Mary! You're so sympatico!

Jenn -- those SEEM to be the same, but I'm unsure of the why the price difference. You might email Julie on her site and ask -- she's very good and honest about answering. Since she's a fellow Catholic hs'er I like to buy from her when I can.

Hope this helps.
M

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2005 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

Cheryl wrote:
. Now that I think about it, baby Jesus was missing when we packed it away. Maybe I should be shopping for a new one.

FYI, Playmobil is excellent about replacing parts to their sets, free of charge. Just call them up, and they'll send it to you.

We have the Playmobil set, and my 7 y/o ds loves it. He has all his Playmobil mixed together, including that set, but so far, we've done an ok job of keeping it from getting lost. Now, I've probably jinxed myself for this year.

We also have a fabric one that my mother made when my oldest was a baby. That one is great for little ones. If I can find it online, I'll post again.

I also found this one wooden nativity and the price seemed reasonable.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2005 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

Well, it looks like my wooden nativity is the same that Jenn posted

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 07 2005 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jenngm67 wrote:
They also have the Playmobil The Christmas Story Set which I think has too many small pieces right now...but I'd love to hear feedback.

It probably isn't the best set for a 2 year old so waiting awhile is probably a good idea. I do like it a lot though. It is one that because it has the little accessory pieces is really fun for kids to play with. They can really make the story come alive.

Something else about the Playmobil set is that you can add on to it from other accessories even thought they don't actually go with the Christmas set. A good friend of mine has a tradition of adding a new animal(s) or other piece each year. There are so many animals made by Playmobil. They have added duplicate animals as well as lots of little animals like ducks, geese, chickens, rabbits, frogs, dogs etc. as well as larger farm animals like goats, oxen, horses. Then they also have more exotic animals like wolves, deer, and elephants (that would have been used for carrying travelers and goods during that time). They have added some of the soldier looking figures to be Roman centurian (they made him a little scroll announcing the census) and other shepherdy looking figures. It's fun to look through the sets and see what would fit in with the Nativity (rocks, trees, wells, etc.). They look forward to adding the new pieces each year and they have a HUGE set up now!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2005 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

I haven't read everything posted so far, but my mom found a panel at JoAnn's and made a nativity and story book of the nativity out of fabric. The set also had, as part of the panel, a stable that was made with cardboard. My kids look forward to getting this set out each year. My mom made a big cloth drawstring bag to keep everything in. Last year when we set it up, we didn't put Jesus in until Christmas. The kids thought that was really fun! I'll take a picture of it when we get all our advent and Christmas stuff out. I think the maker of the fabric was the same company that does The Beginner's Bible. The figures looked a little cartoon-ish.

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2005 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

Here is a link for the above mentioned nativity set

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2005 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

Courtney wrote:
Here is a link for the above mentioned nativity set

Yes!! This is the one I was looking for. We have a set too, and it's really nice for little ones.

Thanks for the link, Courtney! My mother had a terrible time finding the fabric last time she made one.

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 22 2005 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

I recieved the "Catholic Child" catalog today, and they had this plush nativity
which looked nice.

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 22 2005 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

MaryM wrote:
Something else about the Playmobil set is that you can add on to it from other accessories even thought they don't actually go with the Christmas set.

We have the Playmobil nativity set and the Three Kings (I think their camel has got into the zoo box!). We have also bought their Advent calendar a couple of times. Each day from December 1st to 25th has a little box with a piece of Playmobil, which build up into a Christmas scene - not religious, but just for fun. We recycle the Christmas scenes each year as decorations ... at least, the bits we can find ... and they go in with the rest of the Playmobil during the year.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 22 2005 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

Just was in a Hallmark and they have the most adorable Nativity set made completely out of fabric
http://www.hallmark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDis play?catalogId=10051&storeId=10001&partNumber=QKK3014_DK&ran k=P1R10S

Also this one made of durable wood
http://www.hallmark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDis play?catalogId=10051&storeId=10001&partNumber=QKK3025_DK&ran k=P1R1S

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 22 2005 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

This Veggie Tales Nativity Set seems to be a fairly large set for a great price (19.99). There is a link to the Little People set Jenn mentioned and looks awfully cute.

We have the Playmobil set and I agree it's not for 2 year olds. But both of the above would be great. I love the idea of adding to the Playmobil set from other sets!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version