Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Another Jesse Tree question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cjmr
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 01 2005 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote cjmr

In preparation for doing a Jesse Tree for the first time this year, I have gotten the Fournier's book Advent, Christmas and Epiphany in the Domestic Church but I'm having a difficult time seeing how some of the readings they include (like the story of Naaman and the reading from Nehemiah 13:10-22) have anything to do with Jesus being of the root of Jesse, and yet they also leave out some of the stories that I think do belong there, like Ruth.

So I'm wondering is there only one set of fixed readings for the Jesse Tree or are there multiple lists?
Back to Top View cjmr's Profile Search for other posts by cjmr

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 01 2005 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

cjmr wrote:
So I'm wondering is there only one set of fixed readings for the Jesse Tree or are there multiple lists?

Oh my, absolutely not! I'm glad you brought this up, because it's something I've been thinking about. We call it the "Jesse Tree" based on images like Church of St. Denis Jesse Tree Window and other medieval iconography. Here's a listing of various Jesse Tree images. Note that all of these images are of the people in the Old Testament. It's from these images that this tradition of making a Jesse Tree has stemmed from. The verses are chosen as seen appropriate to explain the person.

Now, I just read some interesting insights into the Jesse Tree devotion. With the idea of making symbols that include types of Christ from the Old Testament, I think it no longer is a "true" Jesse Tree, but rather what one author calls an "Advent Tree" or "Tree of Hope"...but she also calls it "Tree of Jesse". With those titles I think one can take a broader look at images and symbols used on the tree. This author, Sister Esther, S.P., says in Art: Teaching Plans, Book One (emphasis mine):
[Advent] has also the special mission of preparing us for the feast of Christmas. It is so planned that by following the masses and office of the season we may he awakened to a new understanding of the threefold coming of Christ: His birth in time, His mystical birth in the hearts of Christians, and His coming as Judge at the end of the world.

We cannot fully understand and appreciate the New Testament unless we grasp the significance of the Old. The spirit of Advent reaches back into the Old Testament -- to the time when Christ had not yet come -- to show how much the world needed a Redeemer and how God prepared it for His coming.

Entering into that spirit we begin to realize how Christ can be born each year to new life in our souls -- and why we celebrate Advent and the promise of a Redeemer which it continually keeps before our minds.
She starts off using the suggested list of symbols from Twelve Days of Christmas Kit (OOP), but then suggests that we build on that with the images from the liturgy, both Mass readings and from the Office.

So, I know I'm probably complicating it, but usually what we have in kits or books are merely suggestions. There is no definite figures, symbols or suggested readings for the Jesse Tree. I tend to go against the typical ones myself, so I know what you mean!!!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 02 2005 at 3:51am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Last year we used The Jesse Tree by Geraldine MacCaughrean for readings to go with our Jesse Tree. It puts the Jesse tree stories into the context of an overall story - an irascible old carpenter working on a Jesse Tree in a Church is interrupted by a young boy, and ends up telling him the Bible stories related to the different symbols he is carving. The symbols (and therefore I suppose stories) do differ slightly from those on the Domestic Church website, though we managed to muddle through with the Domestic Church symbols we had made a few years ago.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 02 2005 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Kathryn UK wrote:
Last year we used The Jesse Tree by Geraldine MacCaughrean for readings to go with our Jesse Tree. It puts the Jesse tree stories into the context of an overall story - an irascible old carpenter working on a Jesse Tree in a Church is interrupted by a young boy, and ends up telling him the Bible stories related to the different symbols he is carving. The symbols (and therefore I suppose stories) do differ slightly from those on the Domestic Church website, though we managed to muddle through with the Domestic Church symbols we had made a few years ago.

Kthryn,

This book looks interesitng. What I waned to do this year was make the ornaments with Sculpey and then have something to read to my littles (6, 5, and 3). Would this book give good suggested symbols in the retelling -- how many stories are there?

Thanks for any further elucidation you can give....and again, congrats on the upcoming bundle of joy!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

cjmr
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 02 2005 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote cjmr

Thanks again everyone!
Back to Top View cjmr's Profile Search for other posts by cjmr

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2005 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Mary G. wrote:

This book looks interesitng. What I waned to do this year was make the ornaments with Sculpey and then have something to read to my littles (6, 5, and 3). Would this book give good suggested symbols in the retelling -- how many stories are there?

Yes, the book does suggest symbols, but not consistently . It makes sense in the context of the story, but is a nuisance when you want to actually put things on your own Jesse tree! It also has a picture of the carved Jesse tree which shows the symbols clearly, but also includes some not mentioned in the stories.

These are the stories included in the book, and the symbols that go with them ...

"The Jesse Tree"
Creation / Adam and Eve - sun and moon, apple
Noah - ark
Abraham and Sarah - camel
Isaac - ram
Jacob - ladder
Joseph - coat
Joseph in Egypt - cup (the one planted on Benjamin)
Moses - whip
[the tree picture then has sandals, a bunch of grapes and a ram's horn, which don't seem to match up with any stories!]
Ruth - sheaf of corn
Samuel - cruse of oil
David and Goliath - sling
David and Saul - crown
Solomon - gateway (of Solomon's temple)
Elijah - raven
Nehemiah, Isaiah and Elisha - trowel, plough and bear
[symbols in the tree picture hint at stories that are omitted by the book - a lion (presumably for Daniel), a whale (Jonah) and a scroll]
Zechariah in the temple - 7 branched candlestick
The Annunciation - lily
Birth of John - tablet and pen
Birth of Jesus - manger and baby
Shepherds - shepherd and sheep
Wise Men - three gifts
Escape to Egypt - (no symbol)
"The Brightest Star" (no Biblical story) - angel and star

Hope this helps!

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2005 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Kathryn:

Yeah!    This is exactly what I was looking for...I'm off to order it now.

Blessings!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2005 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Kathryn UK wrote:
Mary G. wrote:

Yes, the book does suggest symbols, but not consistently . It makes sense in the context of the story, but is a nuisance when you want to actually put things on your own Jesse tree! It also has a picture of the carved Jesse tree which shows the symbols clearly, but also includes some not mentioned in the stories.

These are the stories included in the book, and the symbols that go with them ...

"The Jesse Tree"
Creation / Adam and Eve - sun and moon, apple
Noah - ark
Abraham and Sarah - camel
Isaac - ram
Jacob - ladder
Joseph - coat
Joseph in Egypt - cup (the one planted on Benjamin)
Moses - whip
[the tree picture then has sandals, a bunch of grapes and a ram's horn, which don't seem to match up with any stories!]
Ruth - sheaf of corn
Samuel - cruse of oil
David and Goliath - sling
David and Saul - crown
Solomon - gateway (of Solomon's temple)
Elijah - raven
Nehemiah, Isaiah and Elisha - trowel, plough and bear
[symbols in the tree picture hint at stories that are omitted by the book - a lion (presumably for Daniel), a whale (Jonah) and a scroll]
Zechariah in the temple - 7 branched candlestick
The Annunciation - lily
Birth of John - tablet and pen
Birth of Jesus - manger and baby
Shepherds - shepherd and sheep
Wise Men - three gifts
Escape to Egypt - (no symbol)
"The Brightest Star" (no Biblical story) - angel and star

Hope this helps!

Kathryn:

Thanks so much for recommending this book. I rec'd it this weekend and it is exactly what I needed! The littles and I are going to start making Sculpey ornaments tomorrow and this book came just in time. We'll read through it while we make the ornaments and then as we put the ornaments on the tree (I'm thinking a dowel tree -- does anyone know where I can get one already made as dh is up to his ears on a project) we'll read the Bible passage and read the book again too.

THANKS again!

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2005 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Kathryn UK wrote:

The book arrived today--lovely.
I think we will do the symbols from this book and add some from the Fournier book. I have a feeling that the McCaughrean will go quickly because Brigid will want, "MORE."
BTW-we dicided to use clear glass ornaments that Brigid will color with Sharpie markers--her choice. We will use a branch from the woods as our tree and keep it in the Keeping Room, the center of our home activities.

Laurea said she would do water colors of the O Antiphons, another idea form the Fournier book. Picked up 4x6 canvases from ACMoore for that too.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 13 2005 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary G. wrote:
(I'm thinking a dowel tree -- does anyone know where I can get one already made as dh is up to his ears on a project)

Mary, I have a few ideas for you. I was in Pier One today and saw these ornament trees small and large. These might be a bit too elaborate for your thinking.

Illuminated Ink sells a simple dowel tree to display their cardstock Jesse Tree Ornaments.

I also found some instructions on applying math and making a Scandinavian Tree. Neat ideas here...lots of geometry!

And a Ornament Tree Kit to put together.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 13 2005 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Jenn:

Thanks so much for these links. Yes, the Pier One tree is too fancy, but the others are what I was looking for. However, due to space constraints, I have decided to do a wall hanging -- I have a piece of purple fabric and I will sew a bare tree form onto that. I am then going to make ties on it (like the tied quilts y'know?) and then we will tie the sculpey ornaments onto the tree. This helps not only save space when it's up (but also only has to be rolled to store) but then the sculpey ornaments will have to be no more than 2" or so.

I'll post a picture once we have it all set up!

Blessings and Jenn thanks for your great links (I've saved that Scandinavian one as great projects for December!).

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 06 2005 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mary G. wrote:
(I'm thinking a dowel tree -- does anyone know where I can get one already made as dh is up to his ears on a project)

I realize we are already well into the second week of Advent (and I know you ended up going with a wall hanging tree, Mary G.) but I just saw this great version of a dowel-type tree in the Martha Stewart Kids magazine we got yesterday. It is a tinkertoy tree. The closest I can find for an on-line picture to show, is on the Better Homes and Gardens website. The one in Martha Stewart wasn't as crowded. She only did one circle each of 4 different colors getting larger in size with each ring going down (yellow, blue, red, green). It also has progressively longer dowels separating each ring of the tree so would give more room to hang things.

Anyway, I thought it was a really clever dowel tree and would work well for hanging Jesse tree ornaments. Then could double during the rest of the year as a children's toy. No need for more Christmas storage .

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 06 2005 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Mary M.

This is a great idea -- I love Tinkertoys and was wodnering if I should start a set of those (I've always liked them better than K'nex, but Thomas LOVES his K'nex)!

If I can figure out a way to upload a photo, I'll show you what the finished tree looks like -- pretty cool!

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Dec 06 2005 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I meant to reply to this thread back when I first read the question about what to use for Jesse Tree ornaments. We have been using the DomesticChurch.com printouts glued onto purple posterboard circles for years now as our Jesse Tree ornaments. For the first few years, we hung them on a simple wooden dowel ornament tree that I purchased at a craft store.

But a few years ago a good friend gave us a metal (brass?) ornament tree to hang them on. Here is a picture of something like mine. (I just did a quick google search for "metal ornament tree". I'm sure there are better ones out there.) The one I have, however, has straight branches with smaller branches coming off each arm, so it is easy to find room for four weeks of ornaments. It looks beautiful on our dining room table next to our Advent wreath througout the season of Advent.

During the twelve days of Christmas, we continue to use the ornament tree. I clear it of all Jesse Tree ornaments and we place a "Twelve Days of Christmas" ornament on it each day. Dh's brother and sister-in-law gave us a set of wooden ornaments a few years ago with "five golden rings", "seven swans a swimming", etc. on them. You know those emails that have circulated for a few years now that explain the Catholic code meaning for the Twelve Days of Christmas song? I read the explanation for each day as we put the ornament on the ornament tree during family night prayer between Christmas and Epiphany.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Hey y'all

Here's the Jesse Tree hanging we made -- . We used Sculpey clay and made each of the "carvings" from The Jesse Tree book. We read a chapter a night (started on Dec 1) and we'll have the Star on the tip-top by Christmas Eve.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Beautiful, Mary G !!

How do you attach the ornaments?

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Since the tree was done in a dark beige fabric, I used a dark "ecru" cotton knitting yarn -- cut 24, 12-inch pieces, pulled them through sort of "evenly spaced" on the tree, knotted the two ends in a square knot so they wouldn't pull thru than did a knot at each end so they don't fray. The Sculpey ornaments have the end of a paper clip sticking out (about 1/4 inch) and we use that as the loop to and connect tot he strings.

Was that all Greek or did it make sense?

We are having a lot of fun with this -- and the kids REALLY learn and remember the stories because they helped make the ornaments and we re-read the story when we put them up....it's so cool to see them "outsmarting" their older siblings....

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary G. wrote:
Since the tree was done in a dark beige fabric, I used a dark "ecru" cotton knitting yarn

AHA!!! I was looking at the tree trying to figure out how you could have incorporated your knitting somewhere!

Mary G. wrote:
-- cut 24, 12-inch pieces, pulled them through sort of "evenly spaced" on the tree, knotted the two ends in a square knot so they wouldn't pull thru than did a knot at each end so they don't fray. The Sculpey ornaments have the end of a paper clip sticking out (about 1/4 inch) and we use that as the loop to and connect to the strings.

Was that all Greek or did it make sense?

Well, I'm not sure where the square knot is placed. Is it close to the fabric, or at the end of the doubled 12 inch string which makes two-6 inch strings...and then where are the other two knots?

It's so lovely....I love the tree fabric, also.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Looking again at the picture I think I figured it out...but I guess to clarify...the square knot goes against the fabric. The loose 6 inch threads are tied into a bow around the paper clipped Sculpey?

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 7:30pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

You got it, Jenn -- pretty simple and easy to store from year-to-year. It would even be easy to add other symbols to it -- the O Antiphons or even the 12 days to extend past Christmas a bit....

FYI, the tree fabric is some rip-stop nylon that I had --after I sewed around the tree to attach it, I sewed "bark lines" to give it some dimension....

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version