Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: If you are doing Along the Alphabet Path Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

Cay -

What a wonderful idea to hand the cards out like the fairies hand the flowers out - I'm going to be stealing this idea!

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy
Back to Top View Cindy Mac's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy Mac Visit Cindy Mac's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

CandaceC wrote:

Did you directly tell her you wanted her to color the picture just as you describe?

No, I didn't. Then I wondered if I should have. I really appreciate having the picture to download and print. I also like to encourage creativity.

I forgot to mention that the "band of green leaves holding back the loose curls" on Mrs. Applebee's hair became (for Annie) a band of different colored wildflowers as well. And she has blueberry earrings.

CandaceC wrote:
I don't think it's really a matter of her listening skills...she just wants to be unique. :)

Yep, that's Annie. She's my free spirit.

CandaceC wrote:
I will say that my MIL homeschooled all 5 of her children and several of the kids have a hard time today feeling like they can do anything right because their mom corrected every.single.thing...like coloring pages.

I can totally relate to that. I grew up always feeling I could never do anything "good enough".
And that's why I hated to correct her.

So I wondered how much of this should be her making it "her" story and how much should be "the story is the story".

Also, when it came to the part where Mrs. Applebee introduced her children, I half expected Annie to say that she was one of the fairy children. Her name beginning with an "A", naturally.

Of course, St. Anne made for good discussion.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2008 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote msclavel

I think it is wonderful she made Mrs. Applebee all her own.
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

Connections
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 19 2008 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote Connections

I have one DS that has always been a free spirit and wanted to make everything his own. It is hard for me to remember a time where he has decided to "copy" or "imitate."

I feel that that is one of the benefits of HSing- being able to honor their individuality.

It is a challenging balance between individuality and conformity as some situations in life require conformity to succeed.

As long as you did not instruct her to color/draw based on the story, I think it is great that she made Mrs. Applebee her own. You know she comprehended the story and the details and was simply using her imagination and creativity.

Just my thoughts...

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Popping back in... I have changed my mind and decided to do the poetry too. Now I am thinking that there is more here than can be covered in a week!

If you've been doing this for awhile already, are you taking more than a week to do each letter, and if you aren't, what are you doing each day? I'm working with an almost 12 yr old, a 9 yr old, a 6 yr old and I have a 3 yr old listening in on the easier stuff, too. I am constantly amazed at how beautiful the whole thing is. There is so much here even for my 6th grader, which is funny because I initially thought this was only about learning the ABC's!

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Books--We are taking two weeks per letter...sometimes three if the weeks are interupted a lot. I am trying to do the Alphabet Path story and related activities one week along with the poetry lesson, then the art and music lessons the next week along with the Oak Meadow story and lessons for the same letter. I may sometimes start a new letter in one area while finishing up something in another, but I'm aiming for two weeks at a time.

I'd value your input on the poetry as you get started. I'm using it primarily with a fifth grader and gently with a 2nd grader and tag-along kindergartner. It's nice to get other families' perspectives.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2008 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I need to sit and think some more about this, because I want to do something with the religion and the handcrafts, too, and I can't do too much in one day or I'll get overwhelmed.

I'm sort of envisioning

one day for the Fairy story/coloring of the fairy/museum ABC/and Saint story.

One day for poetry study

One day for music study

One day for nature study

One day for history

One day for religion (but I'm not sure what I want to do yet)

One day for fairy tales/craft or baking

By my count, that is definitely 2 weeks worth! And if that's the case, I'd like to do handicrafts/fairy stories every week (and history needs to be done weekly too). I've also been knocking around adding in a handcraft that is more quiet for religion. Emmanuel books sells some beautiful cross stitch patterns that are religious images. Tea and holy music and then cross stitch one week and tea and holy music and draw the saint/letter (got the idea from the Serendipity Silence post) another day?

Oh, I dunno... Its just not working out clearly in my head yet, but I better get it in gear soon...school starts Sept 1 for us!

~Books

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2008 at 11:20pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

<sigh>

I shouldn't have worried about Annie's colorful Mrs. Applebee so early in the school week. Chelsea is so precise and detailed with her artwork. Annie has always done lots of coloring and painting but it's been completely self-instructed.

The girls do a St. of the Day color sheet while I read a little about the saint. I wish you could all see Annie's pictures.

Purple lips?
And they all look like they belong on Broadway than in the Bible.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2008 at 6:18am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

missionfamily wrote:
Books--We are taking two weeks per letter...sometimes three if the weeks are interupted a lot. I am trying to do the Alphabet Path story and related activities one week along with the poetry lesson, then the art and music lessons the next week along with the Oak Meadow story and lessons for the same letter. I may sometimes start a new letter in one area while finishing up something in another, but I'm aiming for two weeks at a time.

I'd value your input on the poetry as you get started. I'm using it primarily with a fifth grader and gently with a 2nd grader and tag-along kindergartner. It's nice to get other families' perspectives.

Colleen, yesterday I hit on the idea of doing 1 1/2 weeks per letter. I think that gets me to right around 36 weeks, without spending too much time on one letter and losing my 6th grader. I'm working on language arts assignments to go along with everything right now. This is the coolest thing I have ever used. I can't imagine what I am going to do when I run out of Alphabet Fairies!

~Books

SylviaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote SylviaB

I'm bumping this up in case anyone had any suggestions for the best places online to buy the wee felt saints material?

Or do you all just go somewhere like JoAnn's Fabric?
Back to Top View SylviaB's Profile Search for other posts by SylviaB

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I bought from three different places. I got some of the stuff from Michaels (I bought cheap pipe cleaners and also bought some of the doll clothespin pieces), but I ordered Felt from the Silver Penny (they had a pkg deal that was better priced than some for the wool/rayon mix). I also got forms from The Silver Penny because I didn't know if I'd like those or the clothespin dolls better. I bought a few things from A Child's Dream, too. I am hoping they get their acorn caps back in stock if I can't find some locally!

~Books

snowbabiesmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote snowbabiesmom

Cay, I would say, let her continue in her own way with the color choices and then dictate at the bottom of the pictures what your dd says that makes her picture special....when you look back, she'll understand why hers differs...
i too have a free spirit and she does it all with a happy face!

Nico'13;Zelie Oct'14, *Mary Joseph Jan'16
God's Canvas
Back to Top View snowbabiesmom's Profile Search for other posts by snowbabiesmom Visit snowbabiesmom's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Wee felt supplies: I bought wooden doll forms at Michaels and some small charms that I knew would make good symbols for certain saints. The felt from the Silver Penny is a really good deal. I ordered wool roving from one of the Waldorf suppliers, I can't remember who right now, and the boys keep a little jar stocked with nature supplies: acorns, twigs, leaves, small shells and other things we may want to use for crafts.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

There are some good tips here on crafting wooden dolls, including some suppliers' links.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version