Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Philosophy of Education
 4Real Forums : Philosophy of Education
Subject Topic: Edith Stein, Real Learning Saint Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 09 2008 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Today is the feast of a St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, virgin and martyr, also known as St. Edith Stein. Both canonized saints on the Roman Calendar that died in Auschwitz celebrate within a week of each other. St. Maximilian Kolbe is August 14.

Previous Discussion:
4Real Saint

4Real's Philosophy Page

One of my most lasting impressions Elizabeth's Real Learning is her incorporation of Edith Stein's philosophy of education. It was eye-opening for me. I never knew that this German nun's writings could apply to my home education!

I marked every single one of those passages, and go back to read them time and again. I love how Elizabeth saw and pointed out similar connections of Charlotte Mason's and Edith Stein's philosophy, in particular, "the absolute neessity of engaging the whole child -- heart, soul, and mind -- in order to educate him."

I think that is one of my favorite parts of Real Learning was being exposed to Edith Stein's writings, and to see how they applied in my own home with my children's education.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2008 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

The past Spring, I went on an individual silent retreat so that I could discern God's call ... I spent lots of time reading St. Theresa Benedicta, marking important passages, things that spoke to me.

When I got home, and I was re-reading Elizabeth's book, I found so many of the SAME passages she had copied .... great minds think alike, huh?

What say we make St. Theresa Benedicta our forum patron?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2008 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Did any of you ladies get around to reading Essays on Womanhood yet? What say you to a book club discussion? This is one I've been meaning to get around to and never have.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

missionfamily wrote:
Did any of you ladies get around to reading Essays on Womanhood yet? What say you to a book club discussion? This is one I've been meaning to get around to and never have.

No, haven't gotten around to it, just read the beginning. And yes, I would love to do this for Book Club. I have it out and will tackle it next!
Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Let me know when you're ready to start reading. I'll meet you in the Book Club forum. I'll post a post there inviting anyone else who may want to join in.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

missionfamily wrote:
Let me know when you're ready to start reading. I'll meet you in the Book Club forum. I'll post a post there inviting anyone else who may want to join in.

I'm finishing up "Deep Conversion, Deep Prayer" and should be done by Wednesday, then start Stein. That's my plan.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I've read the Essays on Woman but would love a reason to re-read and discuss ....

This would be a great "back to school book" for all us Moms!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote Mare

I'm in! I, too, have read this book before. I think I can always get something new out of the writings of St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross.

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I don't have the book but I found these essaysonline. I wonder how they compare to the ones you all are planning on reading? I would love to read along but I don't think I can justify buying ANOTHER book right now.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Natalia wrote:
I don't have the book but I found these essaysonline. I wonder how they compare to the ones you all are planning on reading? I would love to read along but I don't think I can justify buying ANOTHER book right now.

What a great find Natalia!

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version