Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: High School history?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 22 2005 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I know its standard to cover American History and American Government, but what about the other two years? SL covers 20th century history and Church history. MODG covers ancient history and European history. WTM would cover one last 4 yr cycle. I'm having a hard time deciding what to cover. Is there some standard that most colleges are expecting?
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2005 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Colleges look for American History, American Government and World History (which Historians hate).

We have done a World History, an American Government/economics, American History and we are currently doing Modern History. The actual courses were put together: Seton World History, American history (TB survey)with civics and a semester of economics. We also did a semester of historiography (why and how to study history with some discussion of trends and ideas in how to study history - mostly because I needed a semester of history credit for dc, this course was available as audit from a professor we knew and I felt the lecture environment and topic would help dd successfully weed through the mounds of historical information and give her an idea about why most modern historians never come to a conclusion and how relativism influences a number of approaches to history, plus a sense of the real contribution of Western Civilization and a sense of truth being the backbone of historical study) and we are ending with Modern History (Kolbe) which goes more in depth on the American revolution, and on the constitution but also deals heavily with communism. Kolbe's course could just as easily been called American government or American History. However it does not cover a wide sweep of American History but a more in depth analysis of certain things related to American and modern history. We felt it helped our dd to have the wide sweep first and then move to greater depth.

I guess the long and the short of this is that you could use the ancient historis and medieval history studied as part of MODG or Kolbe to fulfill World History requirements and Modern History could be called American History to fulfill that requirement.

If you have already done a sweep of World History and American History with civics in the American History - just make sure you list it on the transcript in some way that colleges will recognize that you have fulfilled those things. Then if you study something in greater depth - name it differently than the other stuff - ie Medieval European History or Modern History or whatever.

Once you have the college basics covered, you can be quite creative with what you do and it doesn't matter. You could study ancient China and that would be fine with colleges.

Hope this helps.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2005 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

In NY State, we have the requirements of one year American History, 1/2 year Economics, and 1/2 year Government (I think anyway).

What we're doing is:
9th grade- Global Studies (a good geography course, often using Runkle Geography as our base text, and adding other cultures, etc. with it)

10th grade- World History (using Teaching Co. videos, taking notes on lectures for practice in note taking, Christ the King, Lord of History, and Short Lessons in World History by Walch)

11th grade- American History (using Teaching Co videos again, Christ and the Americas, and Short Lessons in American History by Walch)

(we may have a few other resources we're using, but I can't recall them at the moment)

12th grade- 1/2 year Economics, 1/2 year Government

I hope we're doing what we should be doing. I feel the Lord led us to it, so I believe it's right for whatever He has planned for our kids anyway.

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2005 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Thank you! That helps a lot. I appreciate hearing what others are doing. I am really starting to feel overwhelmed with the idea of teaching high school.

Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2005 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

It can be an extremely frightening time to think about homeschooling high school. It's a very vulnerable time emotionally. We are into our second year of high school for our oldest, and our second born will start next year.

FINALLY, I see the Lord's leading, and the blessing homeschooling for high school is. It takes trust and faith, and being on my knees every day, BUT, it's SO worth it!

One thing that I heard recently that really helped me regarding teaching high school has been a huge blessing to me this year.

Our most important priority is not to prepare our children for college, it's to prepare them for heaven.

Blessings and Peace,
Tracy

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2005 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

We like the Teaching Co. lectures, too.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2005 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

We're using Seton for my 14yod. For some reason they don't do history in 9th grade (?!?!) so Cate's doing a self-paced Irish History course using "How the Irish Saved Civilization" and a "History of Ireland" by Seamus MacManus. She'll pick up WesternCiv next year, US history in Jr. year and Civics/Govt in Sr. year. This tracks with traditional parochial high school. My 16yos did Ancient WesternCiv, European History, now US History in 11th and he'll do Civics/Govt in 12th --he's at a private Catholic.

I really wish the kids would do more Eastern Europe and Asia -- but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there about these?

Anyway, at least you now have validation of what "real school" does....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2005 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Mary G. wrote:
self-paced Irish History course using "How the Irish Saved Civilization"

Mary, this book is a Western civ course. Great book! I dislike Western civ 1&2 at the Jr. college level because it is so superficial; don't know how it is with Seton. Probably a bit more substantial but still you have to skim over so much time to get through it in a year.

We've been enjoying American history so much we are doing it for a 2nd year and high school age dd is going to focus on WWII for the entire 2nd semester. Don't know how this is going to look on the transcript

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2005 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

momwise wrote:

We've been enjoying American history so much we are doing it for a 2nd year and high school age dd is going to focus on WWII for the entire 2nd semester. Don't know how this is going to look on the transcript

Gwen:

I'd just put Western Civ 2 and leave it at that. Most "real school" teachers focus a bulk of their presentations on their favorite time period so why shouldn't you? Besides, WW2 had a major impact on all things in the 20th century -- both what led up to it and then the aftermath (just look at the mess in the MidEast!).....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2005 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Or call your first course, Early American History and your second course Modern American History. It doesn't really matter.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version