Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Haystack Full of Needles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Helen wrote:
Erica Sanchez wrote:
Alice, to hear your voice with your NY accent and to laugh along with your brilliant humor was just priceless.

Erica, I definitely agree on all the points you made about Alice except...

What accent??

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

fivenoises
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 16 2008 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote fivenoises

Mine showed up at 10:30 in the morning (a few days after it was published) and I was finished by 2:30 that afternoon! Sure, I ignored a few kids while I was reading it, but it was a lovely day and they just played outside. What an uplifting book. It read so smoothly I didn't notice the day slipping away.

What I took away as most important to learn right now for our family is that driving might just be something I need to 'get over' and just do. (Albeit, it is really hard to drive with little ones - mine always screamed in the car, whether it was for 3 minutes or 63 minutes. They just never slept!) Now that the youngest is three and likes the car, maybe just maybe this is what I need to do to fulfill that social need that *I* have for my kids and myself.

Thankyou for writing such an edifying book Alice. You've inspired me to try a little harder!
Back to Top View fivenoises's Profile Search for other posts by fivenoises

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2008 at 5:43am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I went up early and stayed up until I'd read every word of Alice's book -- WOW! What a blessing to have read Haystack Full of Needles -- I had to borrow a copy as dh put me on a strict book-buying budget and I need to get it next month. But I couldn't wait and I'm so glad I read it! But it's definitely going into my stash, right beside Elizabeth's and CM's Philosophy of Education to be pulled out CONSTANTLY as we progress thru our own adventure story!

Here's a fuller review I just posted.

I love that Alice tells us that socializing can be one family or 2 dozen ... that the important thing is to do ... and that mom-time is part of the overall! And it all is really do-able!

Alice -- you have amazingly adorable kids! And I saw quite a few other 4realers and their families scattered throughout. So, since dh says WE ARE NOT MOVING AGAIN , y'all will just have to move down here to the Mid-Atlantic states!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

KerryK
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 23 2008 at 6:09am | IP Logged Quote KerryK

Mary,
My copy just arrived, along with my copy of Great Yarns! My 7 year old dd said "Yay! The knitting book!" She grabbed it and ran away with it! That was yesterday, and I have been saving both books for a quiet moment.

So exciting to have TWO great 4Real books at once! Now if I could only move closer to any of you, I'd be all set!

Mary (6)
New baby Samuel 2/26/07!
and 9 angels in heaven

The Eyes of My Heart
Back to Top View KerryK's Profile Search for other posts by KerryK Visit KerryK's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 25 2008 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary G wrote:
I had to borrow a copy as dh put me on a strict book-buying budget and I need to get it next month. But I couldn't wait and I'm so glad I read it! But it's definitely going into my stash, right beside Elizabeth's and CM's Philosophy of Education to be pulled out CONSTANTLY as we progress thru our own adventure story!

I agree wholeheartedly! I just loved this book, too, and am already quoting and referring to it often! I had withdrawal when I lent it to Mary.

I have more of a review here.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2008 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Thank you from the bottom of my heart! I'm so grateful to all of you!

By the way, I discovered a major typo today. A reader wrote to say she was making Caroline Tuffy's scones (found in the final appendix) for breakfast. She noticed the instructions said to "add sugar" at a certain point, but there was no mention of sugar in the list of ingredients!

The ingredients list should have said 2/3 cup of sugar!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 25 2008 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

alicegunther wrote:
Thank you from the bottom of my heart! I'm so grateful to all of you!

By the way, I discovered a major typo today. A reader wrote to say she was making Caroline Tuffy's scones (found in the final appendix) for breakfast. She noticed the instructions said to "add sugar" at a certain point, but there was no mention of sugar in the list of ingredients!

The ingredients list should have said 2/3 cup of sugar!

Oooh, that is good to know. Be reassured that even Tasha Tudor had a long list of typos on recipes!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version