Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Haystack Full of Needles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KerryK
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 07 2008 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote KerryK

Finding friends is one of our biggest challenges right now - this book cannot arrive quickly enough for me!!

Mary (6)
New baby Samuel 2/26/07!
and 9 angels in heaven

The Eyes of My Heart
Back to Top View KerryK's Profile Search for other posts by KerryK Visit KerryK's Homepage

Ouiz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 07 2008 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote Ouiz

I'm thrilled to hear that we can order the book now!

I know I will be jealous when I read it, though... sigh... here in my neck of the woods there are no other Catholic homeschoolers. I'm it. Smack dab in the middle of BJU territory... with all the co-ops and such in the area requiring you to sign a "statement of faith" that Catholics cannot sign.

Love my home here -- don't get me wrong -- but it would be nice to have the opportunity to socialize with other Catholic homeschooling families!

Looking forward to reading it and being inspired!

Chez Ouiz
Back to Top View Ouiz's Profile Search for other posts by Ouiz Visit Ouiz's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 07 2008 at 11:20pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Oh, Ouiz, I am so sorry to hear about the "statement of faith" requirement. That is so sad.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Aug 07 2008 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Alice,
I'm really enjoying the book. You have such a wonderful way with words and really know how to tell a story! And like Mary Chris, I'm saving most of the book for vacation next week.

Helen,
I loved Alice's stories (both at the FCL Conference and in the book) of your role in bringing her to homeschooling. What a good friend you are!

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2008 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Oh this sounds like such a good book, looks like I will order it today ...

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2008 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote Helen

teachingmom wrote:
Helen,
I loved Alice's stories (both at the FCL Conference and in the book) of your role in bringing her to homeschooling. What a good friend you are!

Thanks Irene!
I'm sure everyone knows this already -- but really, Alice is the good friend!

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Caroline
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2008 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote Caroline

Alice, the book was just lovely. I enjoyed it so much. It really inspired me to be the hostess (even just at a park, our 900 sq foot condo can only handle so many people!).

So, when can we expect the next book.   

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2008 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

I have really enjoyed Alice's book (just love all the pictures and anecdotes!) because it has practical tips that appeal to new homeschoolers and those of us that could be considered "veterans" as well. Maybe I am getting old (well, I know I am!) but this book is very inspiring for homesschoolers at all stages in their journeys.

I am looking forward to sharing this beautifully-written book with my homeschool group at our kick-off meeting at the end of the month!    

Thank you for writing this book, Alice!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2008 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

OK - I have a confession. I am hesitating to read the book because I am worried it will make me worry more about the "S" issue - please put my fears at rest.

The "S" word is still something that worries me - I do not seem to have found the correct homeschool group for me or my children (not counting the Middle School social group!) - I struggle with "how much" socialization - my kids are all best friends with each other - and I would prefer no socialization to socialization with the wrong people. I am an introvert, and less inclined to go with big group things. I think I feel more lonely and need the socialization than my kids do!!!

I feel peaceful because my kids are so happy with each other and doing things as a family - but it would be nice to have a close knit homeschool community to belong to.

Maybe the book will help - any views?

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2008 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

MarilynW wrote:
and I would prefer no socialization to socialization with the wrong people.

I feel peaceful because my kids are so happy with each other and doing things as a family - but it would be nice to have a close knit homeschool community to belong to.

Maybe the book will help - any views?

Me too Marilyn- I would hate to "socialize" my children, and then have to undo all the damage that socialization has caused- this is one of the primary reasons we homeschool.

Alice's book very much encourages the kind of socialization we all long for. She talks about how her eldest daughter was looking around the house for her lost scapular because she didn't want to be the only girl at the group not wearing one. Alice writes I realized this is a kind of peer pressure I could live with. But her book goes beyond just encouraging positive social interactions for our children. She encourages us to recognize that our families- our domestic churches- are the foundation of healthy socialization. What does it matter if our children can socialize with others their age if they can't get along well with and thrive amongst their families? The family is more than a safety net- it's the foundation and the form that all other socialization stems from.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2008 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Marilyn, I remember reading that Alice reminds us that a club can be formed with just one other family. I don't think she emphasizes a quantity of friends but rather friends of the heart.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 12:18am | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

I just finished the book-it was wonderful and has made me excited about homeschooling again!

I do have one complaint, though. It was a bit disconcerting to learn the real names of Lissa's children-I have always known them as Jane, Rose, Bean, WonderBoy and Rilla!!!

Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

JSchaaf wrote:
I do have one complaint, though. It was a bit disconcerting to learn the real names of Lissa's children-I have always known them as Jane, Rose, Bean, WonderBoy and Rilla!!!

Jennifer

I thought the exact same thing!
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Caroline
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote Caroline

I was thinking the same thing, but about Alice's children! I knew Lissa used nicknames for her blog, but I really thought Alice used real names.   

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Caroline wrote:
I was thinking the same thing, but about Alice's children! I knew Lissa used nicknames for her blog, but I really thought Alice used real names.   

That's so funny. Their blogs make me crazy because I can never remember who is who!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Caroline wrote:

That is so funny! It was difficult knowing what to do when writing the book. I use middle names for the blog (just to keep MacBeth guessing!), but wanted something more permanent for the book.

Marilyn, please do not be hesitant to read the book--it will not give you a bit of worry.

MarilynW wrote:
I think I feel more lonely and need the socialization than my kids do!!!

This is one of the central themes of the book--that "socialization" for homeschoolers is every bit as much about finding good companionship for the mothers as it is for the children. (Even one friend for support and understanding.)

MarilynW wrote:

This is very much like our family. The children enjoy each other's company. (I sometimes think we would have made good pioneers living alone on the prairie! They form their own little homeschooling "group.") But there is nothing like finding those good and wholesome companions to add to the circle. Even one or two families is a huge blessing.

Once again, thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the kind words, everyone. I truly appreciate it.

Cottage Blessings
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

If you love the book, I guarantee you will love Alice's talk given at Michelle's conference - buy the CD! :)

Alice, to hear your voice with your NY accent and to laugh along with your brilliant humor was just priceless. Reading your book after hearing your talk puts me right back in that conference hall in PA. I so enjoyed hearing and reading about how you came to homeschooling as I didn't know that part of the story. And, learning about how Helen was such a huge part of your initial decision was just wonderful!

Although our large Catholic homeschooling community out here is never lacking for activities, clubs, etc., I plan to bring your book with me to a gathering of moms next week because there is just so much good stuff in there about why to perservere in much more than just the academics of homeschooling and how not to burn out and how to be charitable and how to reach out to new moms (something I think is so relevant to an already existing group like ours)and...and...and so much more!!

You are brilliant, incredibly funny and witty, kind and charitable, generous beyond belief, talented and entertaining - thank you for sharing your story and that of your beautiful homeschooling group in Long Island. I have no doubt it will be an inspiration to many.

Much love,

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Erica Sanchez wrote:
Alice, to hear your voice with your NY accent and to laugh along with your brilliant humor was just priceless.

Erica, I definitely agree on all the points you made about Alice except...

What accent??

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Helen wrote:

Erica, I definitely agree on all the points you made about Alice except...

What accent??

Screaming laughing, Helen!

And Erica, you are beautiful. I don't know what to say except thank you so very much.

Cottage Blessings

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Alice,
I wanted to let you know that I lent my copy to my friend Carrie at harp camp last week.

I can't seem to get it back from her. I told her she needed to get her own copy.

I reminded her to bring it Tuesday night when the moms got together for our planning meeting for the new school year.

She didn't.

Carrie ribs me all the time, so I rib her too. She's a hoot!

And she comes up to me at the end of the meeting and says, "You know, that's one of the best books I've ever read. I think I need to get my own copy."

Indeed!

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version