Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Haystack Full of Needles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

So I finished Haystack Full of Needles by Alice Gunther within 24 hours of receiving it . My house, however.... well.... It got neglected a bit this past day while my nose was stuck in Alice's book.

First of all, I would encourage anyone to buy this marvelous book if possible. It is just wonderful-wonderful-wonderful. I am insanely jealous and half-ready to up and move to Long Island, just to be a part of Alice's homeschooling social network. I am incredibly inspired, however, and began a list last night of "clubs" I may like to try and form sometime soon.

Here's a part that jumped out at me (page 133):

We have always had many friends and neighbors who do not home educate, and these families and their children mean a great deal to us. No matter how many friends you have, keep looking for homeschoolers though. Your children will be more likely to want to conitinue wtih home education if they are not the only ones they know learning at home...

Most of our friends are *not* homeschoolers and I am finding myself looking for homeschooling Catholics like a camel for water. Most of our IRL Catholic friends (actually, all of them save one family) attend the parish school. My girls- especially my oldest- *love* to meet homeschoolers- others just like them. Sometimes I think my oldest feels a bit left out of the Christmas pageant, plays, and activities the parish school offers. Now I am inspired to seek out other Catholic homeschoolers and surround my children with other families who are living the learning lifestyle within our beautiful faith.

I thought it was a profound testament to her homeschool that her high school daughters chose to remain at home for their education, even when offered a chance to attend the diocese high schools. They were so surrounded and encouraged and uplifted by their like-minded friends and had such wonderful social opportunities there, that they didn't want to miss out. Incredible.

So if you read Alice's book.... what did you think? Particular thoughts?
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Sarah M wrote:
I am insanely jealous and half-ready to up and move to Long Island, just to be a part of Alice's homeschooling social network.

That's why she wrote it...so you'd all move here!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Sarah M wrote:
I am insanely jealous and half-ready to up and move to Long Island, just to be a part of Alice's homeschooling social network.

Oh to live in a place where such a network is possible!

Sarah M wrote:
Here's a part that jumped out at me (page 133):

We have always had many friends and neighbors who do not home educate, and these families and their children mean a great deal to us. No matter how many friends you have, keep looking for homeschoolers though. Your children will be more likely to want to conitinue wtih home education if they are not the only ones they know learning at home...

Finding homeschooled little girls my daughter's age is one of my biggest challenges. All her friends go to school, and the girls in our local homeschooling group (when it has activities, which isn't often) are older and have different interests and special friendships among themselves. My girl is a social thing and I can see her yearning to go to school already. Perhaps I'll follow Alice's example and take it to Adoration tonight.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

WayTruthLife
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote WayTruthLife

I really want to get this book but I see that it's delayed in printing? Is that right? Any idea as to when it will be shipping again?

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I am saving this book to read while on vacation, but I have skimmed it a bit.

I just want to encourage you to truly pray for good friends for your children. Before we moved to this neighborhood, I prayed and prayed for nice friends for my children and God plunked us down between two wonderful familes. My prayers have been answered in ways I never expected and our life is so blessed because of it. I am so very lucky to live in an area that is full of Catholic homeschoolers and homeschoolers in general and I try very hard not to take that for granted.

Last year two friends and I started a group for middle schoolers. It has truly been a blessing in my dds life to get together with other girls and boys who share her faith and values. (And if you know where I live and are interested in joining us, shoot me a PM) Now my middle son is looking forward to being eleven so he can join in the activities. It is so important for them to have good, strong, faithful friends as they head into the teen years.

This year we are hoping to have a nature club at one of the local parks. I personally love the time when our children can just play and be in nature together.    

I also want to encourage you to just ask, pester, beg whatever you have to do to encourage any other homeschoolers to meet you at a park. Also, go to the homeschooling park days, look for moms wearing a Miraculous Medal or Crucifix, strike up a conversation, they are probably praying for a friend just like you are.

I will pray too!

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

WayTruthLife wrote:
I really want to get this book but I see that it's delayed in printing? Is that right? Any idea as to when it will be shipping again?

The book is available for shipping now! It really is a gem. You can purchase it (and more) at Hillside Education.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 02 2008 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote Mare

I think it is a wonderful book. I wish I had more time to expound on the things that touched my heart. I would encourage everyone to read the book.   

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2008 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

This book is wonderful! Practical, filled with ideas, but in a way that is not overwhelming. I devoured it in one afternoon. Today Monica is reading it. I know she's going to come up with all kinds of plans and ideas. Now, I'm in for it.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2008 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I am still waiting for mine. The kids will be gone this week, so I hope it comes soon!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2008 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote Theresa

I finished mine last night!      Wonderful, wonderful book.

Lavenderfields
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 02 2008 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote Lavenderfields

Mary Chris,

What kind of activities do you do with your middle schoolers. This sounds like something I need to do in my group.

God Bless
Robynn
Back to Top View Lavenderfields's Profile Search for other posts by Lavenderfields

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2008 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Maybe some others will pipe in......

We mainly do game nights... Outside games, board games and lots of ice cream! We did Laser Tag one night.

Lavenderfields
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 02 2008 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote Lavenderfields

Okay, do you have a regular homeschool grop that meets regulary, then from that group, you do things with the middle schoolers at different times. We are all so spread out here and people don't like to drive. How often do the middles get together.

God Bless
Robynn
Back to Top View Lavenderfields's Profile Search for other posts by Lavenderfields

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2008 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

We try for once a month, but have missed a few months. It is not a local group, actually most of the group is comprised of families from this board.

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2008 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

I picked up my copy at the Midwest Family Conference. Now I have to decide if I should ship it to Wales or take it with me on the plane (such limited space).

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2008 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Sarah M wrote:
So if you read Alice's book.... what did you think? Particular thoughts?

I feel like running out the front door and screaming to my neighbors...

"I'm Helen ... in Alice's book!!!!"

But, I don't think they'll appreciate what I'm saying the way you all will!

But seriously, I'm going to add this book to my "grace and courtesy" stack of books. The appendix has a great list of reminders on good behavior.

Alice has always been the most social and welcoming person I've ever known. She really does know a lot about socialization.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Helen wrote:
I feel like running out the front door and screaming to my neighbors...

"I'm Helen ... in Alice's book!!!!"

But, I don't think they'll appreciate what I'm saying the way you all will!

My for the day!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I got mine yesterday and finished it today. It makes me long for that close connection. I am part of a large group but we just seem very disjointed. It is sad. I have been a part of a close knit, welcoming group before. There is nothing like it.

Alice writes beautifully. She is always so positive in the way she phrases things. What a great example to those of us who have a tendency to criticize or complain. I plan to go back through with a highlighter and really pray about her various suggestions to see where I can make some changes where I am.

Otherwise, I will just pack up and head for Long Island! I asked dh if he could find a job up there and he said "You know there are New Yorkers up there, right?"

Thanks Alice! (and congratulations on your expected blessing!)

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 06 2008 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I haven't bought the book yet but, here is a question: does she recommends only to socialize with Catholic homeschoolers? It would be my first choice if I could but, here where I live, Catholics are only about a 3 to 5% of the population AND Catholic homeschoolers are a very, very few. How does she handle this issue? I am curious.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 07 2008 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Sarah, thank you so much for beginning this thread! And thanks to all of you for your very kind and encouraging feedback.

Special enormous thanks to Elizabeth Foss for dropping me a note right away to make sure I did not miss this conversation. I have been lurking for a couple of days--please forgive me for not chiming in sooner!

Natalia, your question is an excellent one, and I sincerely hope the book handles the issue adequately. I called it "A Catholic Home Educator's Guide to Socialization," not to leave anyone out or make a recommendation against forming friendships with non-Catholics, but only because so many of the ideas within the book are uniquely Catholic. Here on Long Island, it is not difficult to find Catholic friends, and many (most) of our social activities tend to revolve around Catholic devotions and the celebration of Catholic Feasts. The ideas and experiences mentioned in the book reflect this, and I particularly wanted potential buyers of the book to know that they would be getting a book that is Catholic throughout.

We also have numerous non-Catholic homeschooling friends (some of my favorite local families, in fact), and I wouldn't give up those friendships for anything!

If I were to offer advice, it would be to embrace those beautiful homeschooling families who are not Catholic, but keep praying and looking for Catholic friends as well. There is something so joyous about being able to gather for Eucharistic Adoration, Mass, the Rosary, or May Crownings with these friends, and even one other Catholic family would be well worth seeking out. It is helpful for Catholic children to grow up around other people who embrace and love our faith. This does not need to be a huge crowd, just a family or two. Keep praying to find just one other Catholic family.

The book has a few specific sections that might be of use to you--

--a chapter on finding other homeschoolers
--an appendix on finding friends within the parish (if there are no Catholic homeschoolers, faithful Catholic families with children in school can give you important companionship)
--an appendix on finding friends if there are no homeschoolers in your area (a common problem, particularly for mothers in more rural areas)

One other point to consider is that traveling is often worth the effort. If you can find one Catholic homeschooling family within about an hour's drive, consider meeting once a month for Mass and a playdate or a rosary night at your home. Many of our dearest friends do not live particularly close. Almost all are at least half an hour's drive away, and we have never had another hs'ing family in our parish. Still, the drive is nothing compared to the benefits of having these friends! (BTW, another appendix in the book shares ideas for not wasting that "travel time.")

Many thanks to everyone who has read the book. It does my heart so much good to hear all the kind things you have to say. One of the reasons I waited a while to enter the conversation is that I truly hope anyone who has read it will feel free to share anything here, including any reservations or concerns!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version