Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: "Tired" unschooling? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 29 2008 at 1:07am | IP Logged Quote Leonie

At the moment, I am tired. I have a number of “issues” going on in my life and I just want to do what I have to do, all my work stuff and so on, maybe make sure the kids and I do some maths and then just PLAY. Let the kids do whatever, amidst all our busy lives and activities. I don’t want to think about read alouds or strewing or an enriching environment – the few times we are home I just want to hang if and when possible.

So, can I still be an effective unschooler if we don’t do anything exciting? Apart from our busy social life that is!

Does an unschool have to look very enriching and exciting? Or can there be just lots of hang out time?

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2008 at 5:10am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Leonie wrote:
So, can I still be an effective unschooler if we don’t do anything exciting? Apart from our busy social life that is!
Well, your my expert on unschooling , but I would say of course! You're still learning and the rhythm of your lives now is a slower, more contemplative pace ... a very good place to be right now.

You might find that right now you and the family will be in the midst of learning more as you won't be trying so hard to pak your days with excitement ... and always remember, Jesus had almost 30 years of "hidden" life ....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2008 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

If unschooling is supposed to mimic real life in any way, then I think that periods that are "unexciting" are just as important tools of instruction as the times that are exciting. Life will always run hot and cold and there is no reason to try and prevent our children from seeing both sides of the coin.

The more realistic the structure (or lack of?) of your school at home, the better it will prepare your children for the school of life!

Peace.

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2008 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

This is something I have always wondered about in regards to unschooling. Our lives aren't busy per se. Our problem is more that of being virtually homebound due to both finances and just the logistics of lots of little kids. So, our homeschool is quite unexciting, at least when compared to the folks that write books and articles on unschooling. The only experiences my kids get, for the most part, are out of the books they read.

I hope this is enough.

Leonie, I think that you have given your kids so much inspiration through the years that even without your intentional efforts at enriching their environment, they will continue to do and learn for themselves. I say, sit back and let them bring it to you!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2008 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Leonie I am always inspired by the way you guys live your days (as seen on your blog ).

In my experience my children grow so much in those times when I am not trying so hard to strew etc. I think we need seasons of different types of learning, different rythms, in our home. Right now, during the summer holidays, I know my kids are just really enjoying having 'their' time. They doddle, I doddle, they play and create, I read and blog- you get the picture. But they are loving the time to just be and do their thing.

I agree with Molly, you have been such an inspiration that I say live this season, have rest for yourself, and let your kids breathe and grow. (Sorry, just my .02)

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2008 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote Willa

I wish I had more time to write -- I am at a lakeshore cabin right now (with Chari and family visiting!!). But Leonie, I have been there too.   I know it's a bit uncomfortable to do "tired" unschooling, but I do think there's a place for it.

Whenever Aidan has lots going on medically, or my heart is hurting for some reason, I have a desire to just "be" with my family -- to hang out and just appreciate what they are, slow down my own pace, make the most of the time.

I don't know if that makes sense or applies to what's going on with you-- but some of my very good family memories have come from accepting the situation and letting go of the extras - whatever those happen to be at the time.   

Sometimes, later, I realize we have been in some transition period -- I HATE transitions, but I remember what Angie said once about "birthing a new self" -- sometimes those times seem fruitful in the long run.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2008 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Well, Leonie, others have already said what I would say.
Haven't you just come off a whirlwind ride with surgery and WYD and all? Judging from your blog you have been going non-stop for awhile now. Of course you are tired!Please go easy on yourself and if you feel the need to slow down a bit, do it!
Heck, maybe your boys need a break, too, but just don't know it yet.The learning will continue. It just might look different for awhile. And different can be very good. WE are going through a slow time right now because of our move. I am so busy trying to get the house unpacked and organized that the thought of school is distant at best. But because of this I've seen my kids pick up and do things I would never have thought of had I filled our days with more planned activities. Ds has time to read and draw in a relaxed way and is making up his own comic strips. Dd is copying words out of books and illustrating them and has made a great mental leap in her reading abilities. I am learning to appreciate down-time.
Plus, knowing you, I suspect it will not be long before you are itching to get busy again. You are just not the type to stay down for long!LOL! Enjoy it while you can.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2008 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Thanks everyone! I am coming down with a cold and sore throat so that is probably also the cause of my unschooling malaise. Duh!

But I realise that this is just the ebb and flow of life, especially unschooling life where one tends to go a little more with the flow. And our life is pretty busy and we do a lot of group things so it is not as though the kids are missing out - it is more that I was feeling like doing less big projects with them. And I'm not going to for awhile!

I'm also taking my own advice from this thread...

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2008 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Oh, and posted this on my blog - but found a very helpful post at the Joyfully Rejoycing site, on the role of the unschooling parent.

I liked - Find ways to include the child in my own daily life - live a more 'open-book' life than the norm.

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2008 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote mariB

Leonie,
I just wanted to say you have been such an inspiration to me! After reading so many of your posts over the past couple of years it has helped me to loosen up! It has brought A LOT of joy into our homeschooling days!

So many times I have been tired too! Isn't that allowed?   I always find comfort in the knowledge that the children do and know so much more about the world, science, our Dear Lord, etc. than I ever did at their age!

Hmmm...read alouds. I used to be so much better at doing that! But...we do still do them when i feel like it. ...shocking isn't it? It just works better for us. I DO have the kids always reading a piece of literature and we do love discussing books. THANK YOU, Leonie for encouraging schooling in an "unschooly" manner. Keeping you in my prayers and

Sending hugs...

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version