Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: How do you plan on adding fine arts? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 07 2008 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm enjoying this thread, culling lots of ideas.

Is anyone using Artistic Pursuits?

I also noticed CHC had some new Art Appreciation...has anyone seen it?

ETA: I know this is a fine art thread, but it seems following CM's idea of introducing art masterpieces that the imitation or methods of doing them would be the next logical step. And I see them closely united, not separate. We listen to music, but then the logical extension is to play or sing in some way.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 07 2008 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

This is a great thread. Wonderful links and ideas. I"m so glad I have about 18 more years of home education to do all of it!

JennGM wrote:

We are! We started on the first book of the K-3 series about a month ago, and are really enjoying it, (all three times we've used it ). It's "ready-for-me", which helps tremendously at this point. I also ordered their supplies from MisterArt....I LOVE how they have that set up. I have us doing Artistic Pursuits on Fridays too.

We're going to do picture study ala Ambleside Online, doing Mary Cassatt until Advent, using the 4Real thread for helps. I haven't chosen a second artist yet.

And, following 2 of the 3 of Ambleside's composers for 2008-2009, Bach and Liszt. We'll listen to 4-6 selections for each.

Nature Drawings and random drawings are done a lot, at their own time.

I also want to shoot for one toddler-preschooler-oriented art project every week too.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

amethyst
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 08 2008 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote amethyst

JennGM wrote:

We've used two of them, both for grades 4-6. They are excellent! *I* learned so much! Years ago I tried using Mona Brookes Drawing With Children because I saw the great results a friend's children had with it. What I didn't realise though was that her learning/teaching style was different to mine. The more I tried to work through that book the deeper I felt I was drowning in mud. (The book was thick, too wordy, and required waaaay too much preparation)It was a lesson for me with choosing curriculum.
It was after this that I bought our first copy of Artistic Pursuits - it was simply laid out, very easy to understand and teach from, and all our drawing abilities improved dramatically within a few lessons. The kids loved it, and I was confident teaching from it. We moved on to the next book in the series and had repeated success.
The only reason I stopped using it after those two levels was a lack of supplier here in Australia.

For artist study I loved the "What Makes A...." series by Richard Muhlberger (Goya, Leonardo, Cassatt, Picasso, Monet, Raphael, Bruegel, Van Gogh, Rembrandt,Degas) . I would print up A5 size copies of each painting in the book and laminate them. The kids could then study them while I read from the book. These are excellent for studying and learning about great painters - whether with smaller children or teens. I don't think you can buy these titles anymore, though. "What Makes a..."

Elizabeth's Rosaries
Back to Top View amethyst's Profile Search for other posts by amethyst Visit amethyst's Homepage

monique
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 08 2008 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote monique

mooreboyz wrote:

- do a Top Secret geography packet or play Geography game

Do you like these? Anyone else use them? My MIL just started getting these for the kids. They seem to like them. I like the books and puzzles as it seems like a fun way to learn geography. I also think it would be a good way to build some teamwork skills as the children can work on them together. That is my hope anyway! So, I told my MIL to keep getting them for now!

Back to Top View monique's Profile Search for other posts by monique

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 08 2008 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

The first lesson in each art category as well as the history lesson is available for preview at Serendipity. You can get an idea of how we'll be incorporating fine arts into ou weeks.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

mooreboyz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 09 2008 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote mooreboyz

I got my discovering great artists and Story of the Orchestra today. They are fantastic! I am going to work my plans around them. I am definitely going to work the artists and composers in time order and run a masterpiece/composer time line on our hallway wall as we go along.

Monique, We used the top secret packets a couple years ago and have several left over. They are fun and I think we will enjoy them much more now that there are 3 kids that can do them together. They each come with a really nice guide book that gives lots of info on each country. The kids use these to answer questions and solve puzzles in the puzzle book that eventually leads you to solve the crime.

I do not have the game yet, but am considering buying it. I asked about it on the time and place area and didn't hear a lot about them. You can read the responses over there. Some other games were mentioned too.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2008 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Mackfam wrote:
I'm also studying Shakespeare through picture books (a'la Cay - I'd link her blog, but I'm in a hurry to get to laundry) - I'm terribly excited about this as we've never really studied Shakespeare before.

Jennifer

I couldn't find these on Cay's blog Is it a post or sidebar?

I'd like to recommend Usborne Art Treasuryit is a treasure indeed I have Mary Ann Kohl's book and whilst it is good we never used it It is directed more towards the 'teacher'. The Usborne book is directed towards the child so they can follow easily. It has paintings by different artists, information about them and then a practical lesson on how to paint etc in that style. It is very inviting and simple to use. (Thanks Theresa for the rec.)

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2008 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Erin wrote:
Mackfam wrote:
I'm also studying Shakespeare through picture books (a'la Cay - I'd link her blog, but I'm in a hurry to get to laundry) - I'm terribly excited about this as we've never really studied Shakespeare before.

Jennifer

I couldn't find these on Cay's blog Is it a post or sidebar?

I'd like to recommend Usborne Art Treasuryit is a treasure indeed I have Mary Ann Kohl's book and whilst it is good we never used it It is directed more towards the 'teacher'. The Usborne book is directed towards the child so they can follow easily. It has paintings by different artists, information about them and then a practical lesson on how to paint etc in that style. It is very inviting and simple to use. (Thanks Theresa for the rec.)

Erin - I was just getting ready to post the same Usborne recommendation - we got this out of the library this week - my daughter found it - and the kids have already been trying to do things out of it. I find it much easier to use than the Kohl - I am not over crafty and the projects are all doable.

Re Shakespeare - I have not seen Cay's post - but we are going to use the Lois Burdett books. We also will use Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare and Lamb's Tales from Shakespeare as well as the actual play and hopefully an appropriate dvd of the plays we do ( or if we are lucky an actual production!)

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 09 2008 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Sorry - I should have gotten back here before now to link to that one. It isn't on her sidebar...I found it searching through the archives here looking for some recommendations for Shakespeare in a gentle approach - picture book style. I should have known Cay had put something together already.

These are Cay's Shakespeare 101 posts. They're excellent.   Originally, I believe she put together a class for a co-op or group of local students. Most of the picture books I ordered are in. They're quite captivating. I went to the resource site she recommended in one of her posts - just awesome! Beautiful printables for a lapbook on Shakepeare!

My 11 yo has been reading Shakespeare in a sort of playet fashion with my younger sister for a couple of years now. It's hilarious! Though over S.'s head, she loves the beauty of the language and has asked for a bit more. I love Shakespeare - but did you doubt I would be a fan of the sappy sonnet?

So...you know my Shakespeare line-up if you go to Cay's blog posts...here's the rest of the lineup...

***Art...
We'll be focusing on the masters of the Renaissance this year - most of these are already on my shelves and are tried and true favorites...

Discovering Great Artists - Mary Ann Kohl

Art: The World's Greatest Paintings Explored and Explained

A Child's Book of Art: Discover Great Paintings

Artfully Teaching the Faith

Fandex: PaintersA Child's Book of Prayer in Art

Tying in with our study of ancient history...Ancient Egyptian Art

and...because I'm a big believer in presenting beautiful materials to the child...a lovely new set of Grumbacher watercolors. I splurge on one medium a year - last year it was a lovely set of oil pastels and a very nice set of fine tip art quality markers. Before that, our quality set of color pencils - I'm embarrassed to tell you how many sets of color pencils I have of varying qualities and name brands - but we love them all. I absolutely love providing a rich variety of quality art materials to the children. The children are very attracted to them, and are never frustrated with the quality or performance of a tool because it isn't a vibrant, lovely color. They create quite spontaneously with the art supplies, and I love that. We have beautiful, rich wool felt, fleece, watercolor boards and papers in varying sizes and thicknesses, beeswax clay, papers of all colors and varieties - origami, tissue, folding. Are you beginning to envision my art shelves? Do you sense a particular weakness and fondness of mine?

***Music Appreciation...
We're focusing on a group of composers this year - Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn, Handel, Bach using Opal Wheeler's beautiful books like this one on Bach with the accompanying study guides.

I'm spending the first part of the year using The Story of the Orchestra which is absolutely beautiful. I had a few others on my shelf already that we'll supplement with...

The Usborne Story of MusicThe Usborne First Book of Music

Musical Instruments Coloring Book

Musical Instruments Sticker Book from Dover

All from Montessori For Everyone...
Musical Notes and Symbols, Advanced Musical Terms and Symbols, Musical Instruments

I found a used copy of
How to Introduce Your Child to Classical Music in 52 Easy Lessons for next to nothing and snatched it up. I'm glad I did! I love it, and it will be a wonderful reference for years to come. I won't teach all of the lessons in a year because we prefer to linger a bit longer on each composer, but I like the background info it offers me as well as what the child should listen for in each piece.

We'll use our set of bells, lap harp, recorder and piano to accompany and extend the lessons.

***Poetry...
...always tends to follow the seasons - liturgical or natural world - though sometimes we do something patriotic or just for fun. This year, I plan to use a lot of Christina Rosetti as well as one of my favorite poetry books, Favorite Poems Old and New.

Fine Arts isn't boxed for us - we may study it and focus on a particular aspect of it, but it permeates everything we do. Music wires the brain, therefore beautiful music is always on here in our home. Art and Beauty hold pride of place here. There is beauty in the geometric expression of a hexagon, beauty and order in all of math really. There is so much beauty and order in nature and science. I take the time to point it all out along the way. Subjects may take on a focus, but they all point to a Beautiful and Orderly Creator. I delight in guiding the children to those conclusions in all of our studies, not just when we spend a few hours *focused* on Fine Arts.

So there you have it.    My year all linked up and wrapped in a bow.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2008 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

OK - I love this thread. And I have a very important question - can we just forget about Math, Language, History, Science etc and just focus on the fine arts - art, music, Shakespeare and poetry

Jen - thanks for the Shakespeare links - now I am going to rewrite my plans to include these - awesome!

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2008 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Jackie,
Wow some great ideas, I'll need to ponder them.

Marilyn
We really have similar tastes in books. Not being crafty myself I am really hoping to find a similar 'all in one book' for craft, I was asking over here for help.

Jennifer,

No way can you achieve all that in one year!! Can you? wow!!

Thank you so much for your links and thanks for the links to Cay's post, now I'll have to put some serious planning into Fine Arts.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 09 2008 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Erin wrote:

Jennifer,

No way can you achieve all that in one year!! Can you? wow!!

Thank you so much for your links and thanks for the links to Cay's post, now I'll have to put some serious planning into Fine Arts.

Well, it really just depends on the children's level of interest at the time. I do NOT stress about how far we get in a year. I'd much prefer to ditch 4 of the composers and save them for next year if we find we are really enjoying two of them and we find ourselves on some enjoyable rabbit trails. So, I suppose I should have said that this is where we're starting this year. We could conceivably cover most of this in a year - but my kids and I really, really love the Arts! And, keep in mind, most of these books I had on my shelf already. They'll be used to strew about the house in baskets and the children will come to them Montessori style - when the mood strikes! It often strikes frequently.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 09 2008 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MarilynW wrote:
OK - I love this thread. And I have a very important question - can we just forget about Math, Language, History, Science etc and just focus on the fine arts - art, music, Shakespeare and poetry

Would that the state of Alabama would let me...

mooreboyz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 10 2008 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote mooreboyz

Lovely plans, Jennifer! Your children are so luckky to have you.

Thanks for the poetry book suggestion. I've been looking for a good one.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 16 2008 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JennGM wrote:
I also noticed CHC had some new Art Appreciation...has anyone seen it?

Quoting myself because I just saw that Ana Braga-Henebry posted a review of this series on Love2Learn.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2008 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

Among the resources we're using this year is Artistic Pursuits, Visual Arts, K-3. We are really enjoying this across a range of ages.

I have rarely been satisfied with art instruction materials we've purchased in the past--many of them highly recommended. I was wary of buying yet another one only to get burned by what I consider to be a lousy program. I took a chance on this one, with the hope we could use it for at least 4 years w/our Kindergartner. Now everyone, pre-K to 8th is loving this program.

Don't let the cover art and cover font fool you into thinking it is another junk program. The cover design put me off from buying it for some time (unattractive to me). I'm so glad I took the risk and bought it. I got a good deal on it via Sacred Heart Books & Gifts.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 18 2008 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

KellyJ wrote:
Among the resources we're using this year is Artistic Pursuits, Visual Arts, K-3. We are really enjoying this across a range of ages.

I have rarely been satisfied with art instruction materials we've purchased in the past--many of them highly recommended. I was wary of buying yet another one only to get burned by what I consider to be a lousy program. I took a chance on this one, with the hope we could use it for at least 4 years w/our Kindergartner. Now everyone, pre-K to 8th is loving this program.

Don't let the cover art and cover font fool you into thinking it is another junk program. The cover design put me off from buying it for some time (unattractive to me). I'm so glad I took the risk and bought it. I got a good deal on it via Sacred Heart Books & Gifts.

Glad to hear. I read MaryM using it, and I think highly of her creative skills, so I was interested. When i had an opportunity to buy Book 1 at a great used price, I jumped on it. I received my copy today and it looks fabulous. I love how they use real art prints in the book and the groupings of art materials used per lesson, VERY helpful, so well-laid out.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version