Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Middle Ages/Renaissance/Reformation Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 28 2008 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Is there a Catholic spine to cover this period well for Elementary/Junior High? I like to read through SOTW Volume 2 - and we have a lot of living book ideas - but I was wondering about a spine? I have Christ the King, but it seems a bit old.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2008 at 6:32am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

This is such a tough period to find a lively, non-offensive spine that is Catholic! Are you looking for something for YOU to read aloud? Or a Catholic supplement to SOTW 2?

The Old World and America is a textbook that might provide some pegs for you, and I think it's an easy enough read for elementary/jr. high. Sadly, though, it is a bit dry. Also, it doesn't deal w/the Reformation in-depth though...giving only a very brief chapter on Luther. I have liked The Story of the Church for my own understanding of the Reformation/Counter-Reformation period. That book is more for Jr. high/high school ages.

Anyway, I have a file on my blog aligning readings in SOTW 2 with Old World and America (and Story of the Church):
Catholic Resources for SOTW 2.

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2008 at 6:38am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thanks Valerie. I am not over keen on the Old World and America - but I will definitely check out your file. I have Hilaire Belloc's "Why the Reformation happened" but it is quite tough for an elementary student. I wish that there was something like SOTW or Child's History of the World from a Catholic Perspective (Hmm - maybe one of us needs to write that book )

I will be making my "living book" list for this period today - and I know there will be good saint ones - maybe this will have to suffice.

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2008 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Have you ever heard of these? Voyages in History Used to be used in Catholic schools, it was reprinted maybe 10 years ago, but is sadly out of print now.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2008 at 6:57am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Belloc's "Characters of the Reformation" looks very good too - but maybe more for me that Grades 7 and under

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2008 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Maddie wrote:
Have you ever heard of these? Voyages in History Used to be used in Catholic schools, it was reprinted maybe 10 years ago, but is sadly out of print now.

I will have to look at these Maddie - never heard of them.

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2008 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

MarilynW wrote:
Thanks Valerie. I am not over keen on the Old World and America - but I will definitely check out your file. <snip> I will be making my "living book" list for this period today - and I know there will be good saint ones - maybe this will have to suffice.

I'm with you on OWA! I'm also thinking considerably on the "living book" option...there are so many good ones out there and I'm thinking it might be a better approach for my oldest (8th grade) who is likely to make the connections on her own. I'm not so sure about my son in 6th grade, though.

I've been pre-reading the books that come up frequently on living books lists for this time period. I found The Door in the Wall a delightful read and I also really enjoyed Beorn the Proud. It's really making me think that living books might just be enough, and just have the references (Usborne and Kingfisher World HIstory Encyclopedias) available for further research if need be.

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: July 01 2008 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

How about using How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization as a spine (it is even available as an audio book) and filling with living books geared for the age group?

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

TxTrish
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 02 2008 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote TxTrish

Do you have History Links for Rome/Medieval? Their are loads of suggestions for books, activities and so on in them.
Trish

Back to Top View TxTrish's Profile Search for other posts by TxTrish

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 03 2008 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

vmalott wrote:
   I'm also thinking considerably on the "living book" option...there are so many good ones out there and I'm thinking it might be a better approach for my oldest (8th grade) who is likely to make the connections on her own. I'm not so sure about my son in 6th grade, though.

I've been pre-reading the books that come up frequently on living books lists for this time period. I found The Door in the Wall a delightful read and I also really enjoyed Beorn the Proud. It's really making me think that living books might just be enough, and just have the references (Usborne and Kingfisher World HIstory Encyclopedias) available for further research if need be.

Valerie

Do you mean living books with the reference books, or do you mean the living books, reference books and Story of the World combined?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2008 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

Erin wrote:
Do you mean living books with the reference books, or do you mean the living books, reference books and Story of the World combined?

Well, for my oldest, I am really tempted to have her read chosen titles related to the time periods we'd be studying as a family, with access to the reference materials but no actual assignments to read the references.

For the next in line (DS 6th grade), I will probably do a combination of listening to SOTW w/4th grade dd, reading in Kingfisher and some occasional literature, then have dd 4th follow up w/Usborne w/occasional lit.

I'm still thinking it through. I switched over to History Odyssey, thinking it would give me a little more structure or guidance, but I'm TOO MUCH OF A TWEAKER/PLANNER!!! I obviously can't use anything as it is written!

Valerie

allegiance_mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 04 2008 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote allegiance_mom

I am doing Medieval next year with my 10-yo son (grade 5). We are using Maureen Wittmann's Medieval Puzzle Book and Unit Study Guide. She was selling them on her website last year. Not sure if they are still available. The spines we are using are:

The Story of the Church
The Old World's Gifts to the New (recommended by RC History)

Wife 17 years
Mom to two boys, 14 and 8, and one pre-born babe in Heaven (Jan 2010)
Back to Top View allegiance_mom's Profile Search for other posts by allegiance_mom Visit allegiance_mom's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2008 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

allegiance_mom wrote:
I am doing Medieval next year with my 10-yo son (grade 5). We are using Maureen Wittmann's Medieval Puzzle Book and Unit Study Guide. She was selling them on her website last year. Not sure if they are still available. The spines we are using are:

The Story of the Church

Please would you tell me a little about what the Maureen Wittmann resource is like?

Also - who is the author of The Story of the Church - I found a few on Amazon

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2008 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Valerie, I keep finding your posts on history and your plans keep matching up almost exactly with mine. It occurs to me that when we are both out of the middle ages (SOTW II ish time period) we ought to each take one of the two volumes left and work together rather than reinventing the wheel!

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2008 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

vmalott wrote:
This is such a tough period to find a lively, non-offensive spine that is Catholic! Are you looking for something for YOU to read aloud? Or a Catholic supplement to SOTW 2?

The Old World and America is a textbook that might provide some pegs for you, and I think it's an easy enough read for elementary/jr. high. Sadly, though, it is a bit dry. Also, it doesn't deal w/the Reformation in-depth though...giving only a very brief chapter on Luther. I have liked The Story of the Church for my own understanding of the Reformation/Counter-Reformation period. That book is more for Jr. high/high school ages.

Anyway, I have a file on my blog aligning readings in SOTW 2 with Old World and America (and Story of the Church):
Catholic Resources for SOTW 2.

Valerie

Wow Valerie - I only just noticed your blog post above (sorry - not enough sleep and slow brain!) - this is AWESOME - thank you!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 05 2008 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Valerie

I read your blog post and notice that you had only flagged a few chapters, does this mean that it's not too anti-Catholic? I wouldn't have to make too many changes f that's the case.

I have a vague memory, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that when we were discussing RC History a while back you talked about the fact that you could just have the SOTW activity guides and make it work. Was it you? Did we have this discussion? Pregnancy brain could well have it wrong

ETA: I recently asked Books this question, so now I'll ask you Have you ever looked at Diana Waring's book?

I have a Protestant friend who loves it, and I have to admit that it is very easy to follow and jam packed full of ideas. My friend writes in response to my email regarding why she choose D Waring over SOTW SOTW is excellent but DW is very God-centred, constantly reminds you to pray with your children that they be blessed and constantly tying everything back to God's plan. So this makes me think in the later volumes, Middle Ages we could have some issues.

If you have seen it I would love to know your thoughts/comparison.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 07 2008 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

MarilynW wrote:
allegiance_mom wrote:

The Story of the Church

Please would you tell me a little about what the Maureen Wittmann resource is like?

Also - who is the author of The Story of the Church - I found a few on Amazon

Bumping for an answer or link please?

Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 08 2008 at 3:00am | IP Logged Quote Erin

TxTrish wrote:
Do you have History Links for Rome/Medieval? Their are loads of suggestions for books, activities and so on in them.
Trish

Do you think that History Links is a better resource than SOTW?

Leslie
I'm thinking the Story of the Church is by Srs Dominica, Haman etc but I could be incorrect.

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2008 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

Erin wrote:
I have a vague memory, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that when we were discussing RC History a while back you talked about the fact that you could just have the SOTW activity guides and make it work. Was it you? Did we have this discussion?

Yes, that was me and it was in regards to CWH Vol. I where lots of activity books were recommended. I did use the SOTW 1 guide w/dd 9 and adapted the narration questions into multiple choice reviews for ds 11. I later realized that is more or less what the SOTW test booklet is, so I now have that available to use for SOTW 2 should ds need it.

I don't have the activity guide for SOTW 2 yet, as I had already purchased "Days of Knights and Damsels" by Laurie Carlson and have maps from another resource, so that should hopefully suffice. My younger group isn't big into coloring pages, which swayed me away from getting the SOTW activity guide.

SOTW 2 really isn't that bad, especially if you have the heads'up and have other resources available to you to balance with a Catholic worldview.

Valerie

P.S. I haven't looked at the Diana Waring stuff

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2008 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

Erin wrote:
Leslie
I'm thinking the Story of the Church is by Srs Dominica, Haman etc but I could be incorrect.

And George Johnson...that's the one I've been referring to, published by TAN:
Story of the Church

Valerie

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version