Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Middle Ages/Renaissance/Reformation Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 10 2008 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Today I borrowed SOTW from an irl friend I really like the 'story books' actually they remind me of A child's History of the World by Virgil Hillyer, but perhaps more detail.

I have to say I was disappointed with the activity books (I saw activity book 1)for the price I was expecting it to be jam packed with activity ideas, but really there was only a few (about 5)per chapter and only a few book recommendations. Half the book was maps (which I already have) and colouring pictures. Is Book 2's Activity Guide like this?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2008 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Oh, my head is a spinnin'!!!!       

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2008 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

Erin wrote:
Half the book was maps (which I already have) and colouring pictures. Is Book 2's Activity Guide like this?

I don't have it, but I'm guessing it is fairly similar. You can take a peek at Amazon.com to get a better feel for it.

You can already find the coordinating page numbers for Usborne and Kingfisher Histories elsewhere and narration topics are pretty easy to figure out. Since you already have a map resource it's probably not worth the cost, especially if your kids aren't big into coloring pages (like mine).

The nice thing is, there are several good activity books out there for this time period. Unlike the recommendations for CWH Volume 1, these aren't specific to geographic areas, so you could really tailor it to the types of activities your children enjoy doing.

My 10-and-unders enjoy making cheapie things out of cardboard, paper towel tubes, foil, and paper, so the activities in Days of Knights and Damsels are right up their alley. We were able to get it out from the library, but I eventually wound up purchasing it. 12yo ds doesn't get too jazzed by hands-on things, so I don't require it. 13yo dd is an artist, so we choose more challenging, longer projects, usually found online.

Here are some other activity guides suggested by Tapestry of Grace, for the various age levels:
Knights and Castles: 50 Hands On Activities (Upper Grammar)

Hands-On History: Middle Ages (Logic/Dialectic)

Maybe you can find that last one used somewhere other than Amazon! Sheesh! Or better yet, check out
these great links for art projects and activities at theTapestry of Grace, Year Two Art Resources page. Just click on one of the units and they should be listed according to the time period being studied (Units 1 and 2 essentially cover from the Fall of Rome through the reign of Elizabeth I of England). Make sure you also check out the links for the other categories in the left-hand sidebar!

Hope that helps,
Valerie

P.S. I did like the Activity Guide for Ancients, fwiw. We especially liked making a few of the board games that they gave directions for.

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2008 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Erin wrote:
Today I borrowed SOTW from an irl friend I really like the 'story books' actually they remind me of A child's History of the World by Virgil Hillyer, but perhaps more detail.

I have to say I was disappointed with the activity books (I saw activity book 1)for the price I was expecting it to be jam packed with activity ideas, but really there was only a few (about 5)per chapter and only a few book recommendations. Half the book was maps (which I already have) and colouring pictures. Is Book 2's Activity Guide like this?

Erin - I should have been more precise and said that I like the books and NOT the activity guides. I use the reading books or take them out of the library on CD (make great long trip listens - as the style is very appropriate for kids and parents of all ages!) - but I never use the activity guides. I have all the cds of Knowledge Quest's Blackline maps and I use Homeschool in the Woods timeline figures for our BOC. Some years I do lots of additional activities - and some years none.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 12 2008 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Valerie

Thank you so much for the book suggestions, I was coming to the board to ask if anyone had suggestions of hands on books for the early medieval times. Thanks so much I'll also be checking out your other links. I am seriously considering getting the Early Medieval History Links book as well.

Marilyn

I am so pleased to hear you say that, I really think we have similar teaching styles I read the problematic chapters last night in SOTW2 and found the one on Luther not bad, 'Good Queen Bess' had me grinding my teeth but then that is her effect on me anyway I have maps per RC History's recommendations, and I have made my own timeline. So would you add any activity books to Valerie's list?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 12 2008 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Erin wrote:
Valerie

'Good Queen Bess' had me grinding my teeth but then that is her effect on me anyway I have maps per RC History's recommendations, and I have made my own timeline. So would you add any activity books to Valerie's list?

"Good" Queen Bess gets to me today - when doing Sonlight 2 with my kids we read Edmund Campion so that they got an accurate picture of "good" Elizabeth 1. I also read the Robert Hugh Benson books such as Come Rack!Come Rope! and By What Authority.

You know - I went to school in England - and all the textbooks made Elizabeth I out to be wonderful and Mary as evil. I never even knew otherwise until much later.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2008 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

MarilynW wrote:
You know - I went to school in England - and all the textbooks made Elizabeth I out to be wonderful and Mary as evil. I never even knew otherwise until much later.

It's pretty much the same here in the States! At least, that's how it was when I was going to school. There was never anything good coming from the Catholic Church, as far as my history textbooks were concerned. ::sigh::

Erin,
I've been thinking about the History Links book as well. I have kept a hold of my Ancient Greece one because it has soooo many wonderful ideas and activities. I've not really used it as a "unit study" all on its own...I need too much guidance! BUt I get the feeling that the Medieval one is similar.

I'd be pleased as punch if they started offering them for download...I'm so impatient!

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

I have another question as I have spent the last couple hours researching books etc for the Medival time period to study as a block this year... I came across this website where she recommends reading "The Tragedy of the Reformation" by Bob and Penny Lord.

Has anyone read this book and would it be appropriate for children grades 3-7th?

Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

I was also looking through Christine Miller's site and was wondering what ya'lls opinion would be on her revised H.A. Guerber's books? I've owned and used her book 'All Through the Ages' for years...

I was curious about her book "The Story of the Renaissance and Reformation" because here is a blurp where Cathy Duffy voted it in her Top 100 picks. Now that Cathy is a Catholic convert I am assuming she would be sensitive to anti-catholic material. Anyhow here is the Preface to the book and at the bottom you can scroll through other chapters.

Please tell me what ya'll think?

Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

Alison
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 28 2009 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote Alison

Hi
We will be doing middle ages history soon and am wondering if anyone has used the revised H.A Guerber book. I have Hillayers history,Story of the World2,Marshall's OIS,and Elizabeth O'Neill's history book and The Story of the Church plus numerous historical fiction and saint biographies. Do I need another spine?
Feel free to talk me out of getting it! Or if you have used it,what were its pros and cons.

blessings

Alison

Alison
Back to Top View Alison's Profile Search for other posts by Alison Visit Alison's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 28 2009 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MacBeth wrote:
How about using How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization as a spine (it is even available as an audio book) and filling with living books geared for the age group?

Thank you, MacBeth! That audio CD looks wonderful and is exactly what I was looking for to fill in some context with a Catholic perspective. This will be perfect along with the living books we have! I love Thomas Woods anyway!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

OHmomof2
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 28 2009 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote OHmomof2

We have used the following site when we did the middle ages with our oldest and will be using it this year with our youngest. It has literature lists and assignments keyed to "The Old World and America" .

www.rchistory.com/middle_ages.htm

Blessings,
Pam
Back to Top View OHmomof2's Profile Search for other posts by OHmomof2

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2009 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

A resource for a jr. high student who was a good reader would be _Light to the Nations_ by the Catholic textbook Project. Unfortunately it is only available in CD format as PDF's but it covers from the time of Christ to the French Revolution. _All Ye Lands covers much of the same timeperiod but in much less detail.

I quite like the my copy and am planning to use it next year with my 6th grade daughter along with RChistory's volume on the middle ages. [we have a netbook which is working quite well as a eReader for her]

A good source of living books which are currently in print is Maureen Wittman's _For the Love of Literature_.. After going through the book as well as the St. George's Books website (suppliers of RChistory), I found enough books at our library for more then a year's worth of reading on the middle ages as well as many more books to buy when I have a bit of spare cash.
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version