Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: California Missions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 21 2008 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote LisaD

DD would really like to do a unit study on the California Missions next fall. There are a lot of good websites, but I would like to find some living books on Junipero Serra as well as the actual missions. Have any of you ever studied the missions, and do you have any book suggestions?

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 21 2008 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Two childrens' books that we have seen and would be good living chapter books for a mission study are unfortunately OOP.

The Road to the King's Mountain - Margaret Ann Hubbard
Father Serra, first great pioneer in California - Vesta Condon

In the picture book category there is the lovely Leo Politi book, The Mission Bell. It is the story of Father Serra's travels in the California wilderness, of his interest in the Indians and of his building of the missions.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 22 2008 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

And adding this past thread since Erica suggests some books they have used.

The Unit Study from the old Heart and Mind magazine can be found at the new location for mater et magistra - The California Missions unit study

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2008 at 10:19pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

I used the Visions book The Cross in the West...it is oop and covered a little more than just the missions.

also...Dover Missions Coloring Book(each dc colored one and put it in their notebooks) these are over sized so we hinged them and let them fold out and used the inside for their narration work.

We also used a series that featured each of the missions in each book...it covered most of them. I think I still have them listed on the for sale board here... there is probably a link so you can get a better picture of what they were like. ok! I found it...here is a sample
anyhoo...in the back of many of them there were directions as to how to create a replica of your own...that was fun!

For the younger set, we loved The Song of the Swallows. a nice picture book and one of the Catholic Mosaic books!

We used these as a rabbit trail while we were using From Sea to Shining Sea American History book as a spine.

HTH...I am sleep deprived so I hope all of this makes sense...LoL!

God love you!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc +one more due 10/08!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 23 2008 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MaryM wrote:

The Unit Study from the old Heart and Mind magazine can be found at the new location for mater et magistra - The California Missions unit study

I was just coming to link that, Mary! I was doing some planning this weekend with my old Heart and Mind's ( I have copies all the way back to 95!!!) and saw the unit study on the California Missions in there.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2008 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote LisaD

Thank you, thank you! These are wonderful suggestions!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 17 2008 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Reading the Saints has a few suggestions on Father Serra, OOP books:

First Californian: The Story of Fray Junipero Serra by Donald Demarest (Hawthorn Junior Biography)

The Road to the King's Mountain by Margaret Ann Hubbard (Clarion Books)

Love2Learn lists all the Vision books, and the last two on the list she had reason to think they were never published, one of them on Father Serra by Ann Roos. I did find a book by Ann Roos, The Royal Road: Father Serra and the California Missions published by Lippincott, so I think that's where the book got published.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version