Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Middle Ages Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 22 2005 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Re: Henty and the Middle Ages---
     The GA Henty books have not gone over well in our house, either, though I have persistently tried them over the years with different levels of readers. However, I suspect not all GA Henty books are created equal! My children did enjoy-somewhat-"The Cat of Bubastes"...but that's about it.
     For the Middle Ages, you might look into using the Jackdaw packets for some of your studies. I have used them a lot and really like them. In general, the earlier the history, the better the Jackdaw...and some of the Jackdaws from the Middle Ages are great. My children especially loved the Jackdaw on "The Crusades", as well as the one on "The Black Death". I found the ones on "1066" and "Byzantium" to be very instructive for Mom, but less appealing to the kids. The packets contain informative "Broadsheets" pertaining to the subject, as well as photographs, pictures, translations of pertinent primary documents plus a booklet with thought-provoking Q&A, vocab, ideas for "branching out" and reading suggestions. One of our all time favorite activities from the Crusades packet was to make "recruiting posters" for the First Crusade ("Pope Urban II wants YOU! See exotic lands! Save your soul! Power walk your way to fitness...and to Jerusalem!"). Having so much info all together saved me bunches of research time, and some of the material is hard-to-find. Although the Jackdaws occasionally tend to be a little p.c., I think they are well-worth the rather costly $40 (ouch!) price tag.
     Also, when you are putting together your reading list, don't forget the author Geoffrey Trease. An English gal on another loop I'm on introduced us to him, and my kids have really liked his books. I think "Flight of Angels" and "The Red Towers of Granada" take place in the high middle ages, plus he has a bunch of other books you can find on amazon.
     When we finished studying the Middle Ages, we had a Middle Ages party where we put out all our projects, notebooks, timelines and so on for our (doubting) relatives and neighbors to admire, fixed medieval fare for dinner, recited poetry pertinent to the era, dressed in medieval costumes and played Middle Ages Jeopardy. It was so much fun!
     Kelly in FL (hsing mom to 6, ages 2 to 15)
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 7:01am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

alicegunther wrote:

We are beginning the Middle Ages now, and I am extremely excited about our booklist. We'll be listening to Seamus Heaney's Beowulf on tape along with an unabridged recording of The Song of Roland. Then there's Fingal's Quest, the Arabian Nights, Legends of Charlemagne, many King Arthur books, Robin Hood, and Son of Charlemagne, just to name a few. This should keep us busy for a while. : )

Alice,
Where did you get the recording of the Song of Roland? Our library didn't have a good version of it for us to read. Could you share what Arthur books and Robin Hoood are you planning to read?
We really enjoyed Son of Charlomagne and Agustine Came to Kent. My library didn't have Fingal's Quest so we probably won't read it.
Right now we are on The Crusades. We are watching a DVD more as an exercise of recognizing biased scholarship....
What resources are you planning to use for the Crusades? I found some good articles at catholiceducation.org. I did a search and found some good, clarifying articles.

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Re: G.A. Henty books -- my 15 yos liked these, but he loves history and I think they're written for boys (if that's not too sexist? ). He also loved "Song of Roland" which he had to read for school (he's in a Catholic high school) -- he read the Dorothy Sayers translation and loved it (we also have the Robert Harrison translation and he said it wasn't as good or clear -- or as lyrical, inmy opinion).

Hope this helps!

Blessings

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

For literature related to the crusades we just read 'Big John's Secret' by Eleanore Jewett and 'Francis and Clare, Saints of Assisi' the stories overlap in the end at the 5th crusade. Big John goes with Francis to see the sultan in Big John's.

They were great read alouds, we all enjoyed.

We have a few Henty books that I previewed for anti-Catholic bias. I thought they were a bit boring, but the boys are enjoying them.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Hi Alice,
We are doing the Middle Ages this year, so you caught my eye with your book list. Can you tell me more about Fingal's Quest? I did not come across that one.

We are currently enjoying a light read aloud called Castle Diary: The Journal of Tobias Burgess, Page. Very informative--and keeps the interest of the youngers too.

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Another good Crusade read from Tan books is "Crusader King" by Susan Peek. My dd read this when she was 11 and really liked it. It's about the life of Baldwin IV and his involvement with the Crusades.

Also, "A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver" by E.L. Konigsberg about the life of Eleanor of Aquitaine is pretty good. It's a little wierd (as in a very non-Catholic take on heaven) but entertaining and historically accurate. Here's what the jacket says:

"Eleanor of Aquitaine is in Heaven, waiting to learn whether or not her second husband, King Henry II of England, will be able to join her. Henry had died even before Eleanor, but he still had not won admission into Heaven. Waiting with Eleanor are Henry's mother, Matilda-Empress, and William the Marshal. A chance encounter with Abbot Suger, an old friend of Eleanor's from the time of her first marriage, starts the four of them remembering times past. Each person in turn tells a part of Eleanor's life" and so on and so forth, blah blah blah. You get the picture :-)

Re: Robin Hood. If you have beginning readers, a simpler rendition (but still good) is "Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest" by Ann McGovern. My little readers really enjoyed it.

Kelly in FL

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Bridget wrote:
For literature related to the crusades we just read 'Big John's Secret' by Eleanore Jewett and 'Francis and Clare, Saints of Assisi' the stories overlap in the end at the 5th crusade. Big John goes with Francis to see the sultan in Big John's.

Oh, that's great to know. I love it when books dovetail, especially when they "bring to life" the lives of the saints. One of my pet peeves in history is how I grew up thinking the saints were these ephemeral, wispy, holier-than-thou types sitting on pedastals, totally disassociated from REAL history! I was just pondering buying "Big John"...now I will definitely put him on the list!

Kelly in FL

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 24 2005 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Aggh! I just wrote a long response to this thread and received a message saying, "message not posted because you did not have a proper subject heading"!

I'll try again tomorrow!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Feb 25 2005 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

alicegunther wrote:
Aggh! I just wrote a long response to this thread and received a message saying, "message not posted because you did not have a proper subject heading"!

I'll try again tomorrow!

I did that yesterday, too. Clue: Copy the post to notepad before hitting send, so if it gets lost, you'll just "Control-V" it back into being.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 25 2005 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

MacBeth, I kid you not--that's exactly what I've been doing since yesterday. Thanks so much for the tip. It's especially important when you've spent half an hour writing the post!

Love, Alice

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 6:39am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Kelly wrote:
     Also, when you are putting together your reading list, don't forget the author Geoffrey Trease. An English gal on another loop I'm on introduced us to him, and my kids have really liked his books. I think "Flight of Angels" and "The Red Towers of Granada" take place in the high middle ages, plus he has a bunch of other books you can find on amazon.

Would that be me? I just posted a recommendation for his books on the Henty thread, then read your post. Anyway, I second (or is it third) my own recommendation .

I have two or three books on the crusades on my shelf. I'll check the titles later, but my dds are starting to complain of starvation (meaning they haven't eaten for about an hour!) so I had better go and make lunch.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2005 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Several days later ... I imagine these books are all out of print by now, but I have three children's fiction books with crusading themes. The only one I've read is The Children's Crusade, and that was over 30 years ago! Anyway, here are the titles and cover descriptions:

The Children's Crusade by Henry Treece - "To Geoffrey and his sister Alys, it seemed that half the children of France had arrived at their father's castle. But there was something about the strange ragged boy at their head which held the attention of all who saw him. It was an impression of strength, of inner force, even of spiritual power. Alys and Geoffrey knew that they had to join this Crusade to rescue the holy city of Jerusalem, even though it was against the wishes of their father. The idealism, excitement, danger and disillusionment of their adventure, which is based on a real historical event, makes a fascinating story.

Knight Crusader, by Ronald Welch - Philip d'Aubigny, a young knight, loses everything when Saladin defeats a Crusader army at Hattin. But being a prisoner of the Saracens is by no means the end of his thrilling adventures at the time of the Third Crusade. [This book is one of a series which tells stories about members of the same family at various points in history.]

The Donkey's Crusade, by Jean Morris - Thomas is fifteen, a Traveller born, skilled in guiding anxious Westerners on foor through the harsh lands of the Middle East. But this journey is different. A crusade, Sir Reynauld calls it. They must travel far, far to the East, where no Traveller has ever been before, in search of the legendary king Prester John. Only he can save the kingdom of Outremer from its enemies. Can Thomas survive the journey and find Prester John? He makes only one condition - he wants a donkey to accompany him.

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2005 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Kathryn UK wrote:
Kelly wrote:

Would that be me?

Guilty as charged, Kathryn, it is! My Chalet School friend in England :-)

We really have been enjoying the Geoffrey Trease books, and now I'll see if I can dig up your newest recommendations for our next journey to the Middle Ages.

Kelly in FL

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2005 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Ugh! I replied, and the computer swallowed it . Another author of historical fiction set in the middle ages I would highly recommend is Cynthia Harnett. She wrote four books set in the fifteenth century - all good, especially the last (US title is The Merchant's Mark).

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: March 09 2005 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

We have been studying the middle ages since September. Right now we are going back and forth between books and topics, but are spending a good amount of time studying castles, knights, etc. I have a great suggestion for a purchase to include your littles in on your middle ages studies. One of my brothers gave me money to buy gifts for my two youngest dd's who both have birthdays in January. I ordered the wooden castle from Melissa and Doug and it came a few days ago. It's beautiful! All of the girls have been enjoying it. One of the girls had received little wooden castle dolls (also made by Melissa and Doug) for Christmas, so we have extra figures now to use with the castle. I just thought I'd share the idea.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version