Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Cheney's picture books on Am. History? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 29 2008 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Has anyone used any of Lynne Cheyney's picture books for a study of American History? I am planning a summer unit study and they look intriguing!

A is for Abigail

Our Fifty States

America: A Patriotic Primer

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 29 2008 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I LOVE them!!!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2008 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

That's a good enough endorsement for me, thanks Mary!   

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2008 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

We love them. My friend got them signed by Lynne Cheney at a local bookstore for my Abigail - and they are a treasured gift!!

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 04 2008 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We have the "America" one and really like it! i guess i should say DH & I enjoy it , as our girls are a bit young still.

i've seen the others and really like them too.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 05 2008 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote Philothea

We have a signed copy of "America." I actually don't like it as much as I wanted to ... I can't really put my finger on what I don't like, though. The pictures are lovely. Some of the pages are very nice. I just think it felt like she was reaching some of the time. I don't know. It's just not my favorite book. But it's signed and it was a gift, so I keep it around.
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 10 2008 at 2:33am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Coming back late to the thread. I only had a minute when I first posted my enthusiastic yes. So a little more specific info.

My favorite is Our Fifty States. Interestingly my least favorite is the America one (which Philothea mentioned as not liking as well as she wanted to). It is the first one in the series, and I do think they have gotten better with each one. There are some that are a stretch in the America one - linking a letter of the alphabet and some are pretty abstract.

What I like about all of them is the great illustrations. I'm very visual. The pages are very busy - lots of info tucked in all over that goes beyond the main text and is clever in it's presentation. In America: A Patriotic Primer, it’s the extra stuff I prefer to the text portion anyway. The A is for Abigail - famous American women one - is lovely. One could probably build a case that she occasionally stretches here to come up with something for a particular letter since it alternates between specific women's names and categories, but I thinkit works. For example she has "I is for Laura Ingalls" then includes other famous pioneers and patriots and "E is for Educators" then proceeds to share info about several prominent female educators in American history. There are so many women included in this volume - many famous, many obscure and I have learned so much here.

Our Fifty States is just a really fun book with lots of state details interwoven throughout the pages. Fun - little known facts about the states that are right on target. The kinds of things you know if you live there but might not be known by others.

These may seem like pretty secular history volumes but they include prominent Catholics, presented very positively. It's just a part of the text - it was something I was surprised to see I love that! Examples are Mother Cabrini in the A is For Abigail one. I don't have the Our Fifty States on hand but I know it includes Junipero Serra but I can't remember which other Catholic figures it includes off the top of my head but there were others.       

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2008 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Mary,
Thanks for the detailed reviews! I am biting the bullet and ordering two of them. America: A Patriotic Primer I think we will get from the library...
We are slow-moving in starting our unit study but the kids have been reading a bit here and there...I just need to get my nauseated self off the sofa and get them engaged a bit more!

Let the Little Ones Come

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2008 at 9:42pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Here's another author/illustrator of American history to consider if you like Cheney's style: Cheryl Harness. Wade through the three pages and you'll see lots of great books about great people. The pictures and information can be busy, but that's how my kids seem to like it.

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2008 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

These look very intriguing!

Thanks, Cheryl!

I hope my library has them!

Let the Little Ones Come

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version