Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Carry on Mr. Bowditch Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Laura
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 27 2005 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote Laura

If you are doing a unit on navigation/and or would like a living book about Math this one is a winner!
It is set right at the end of the Revolutionary War and my boys don't want me to stop reading...that is the best sign of all!

Not sure how to just put the book's name and have that be a link??? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0618250743/qid =1127851493/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-9476236-1860601?v=glance &s=books&n=507846">Carry On Mr. Bowditch

wife to Ken and mom to 8 blessings with #9 due July 26,2009
Back to Top View Laura's Profile Search for other posts by Laura

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2005 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Laura,

I read this to my children when my oldest was 13 ( he is now 24! lol!).

They loved the book.

Thanks for the reminder.

almamater
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 27 2005 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote almamater

Laura wrote:

Not sure how to just put the book's name and have that be a link???

Yes, could someone please tell me how to do that too???

Soulful Learning
Back to Top View almamater's Profile Search for other posts by almamater

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 27 2005 at 11:48pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

almamater wrote:
Laura wrote:

Not sure how to just put the book's name and have that be a link???

Yes, could someone please tell me how to do that too???

There is a helpful list of frequently asked questions in the help section. The one that explains how to include a link with name is the 4th post down. Where is says type the 'link text" that would be where you would type the title of the book that you were trying to include in your post.

And the Mr Bowditch book was popular here too, with my older sons. For the oldest it definitely opened up an interest in navigation fiction which was his topic of interest for quite some time.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2005 at 6:17am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Ladies:

How old (or, I guess young) are we talking for enjoying this as a read-aloud. I'm currently reading Hobbit to Thomas and Maggie along with the Burgess Book of Nature Lore, after just finishing Charlotte's Web, but I'm trying to nudge us out of the nature "rut" and branch out a bit.

Any age range for this one?

THANKS!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Laura
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 28 2005 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote Laura

I am reading it to my 9 and 14 year old and we are all enjoying it immensely. Maybe it would work well a bit younger then 9, but 9 on seems about right to me as there is a lot of sadness in the book. Many people that Nat cares about and love die, but death is part of life so....

Laura
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 28 2005 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote Laura

Thanks Mary M. in Denver!

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2005 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote Mary K

I would recommend the movie, The Search for Longititude (or something like that). It is on video and was shown on Nova a few years ago.
Prior to the discovery of longititude, ships would sail in hopefully a straight enough line and reach their destination. But, due to weather, currents, etc. they could end up 1000's of miles from their destination. Gives a new appreciation of the explorers.
Mary-NY
Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2005 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Mary -- Thanks for this mention about the Nova show -- it's called Lost at Sea: The Search for Longitude -- this PBS site has great info about the movie and this is a great "study guide" for the movie. Seems it was based on a novel by Dava Sobel called Longitude.

This is grat stuff as we're working on the explorers and early American history (using the "This is Our Country")This Country of Ours and she goes into alot of the early explorations, some I'd never heard of (Ribaut in Florida????)

This is great! THANKS

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Laura
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 28 2005 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote Laura

Another great thing that I forgot to menion about Bowditch is that Nat keeps notebooks on everything he learns and it expounds on how detailed his notebooks are. He has a different notebook for every new thing he studies. Very CMish!
I kept stopping whenever they mentioned them to encourage the boys to do the same. Hopefully they Nat's enthusiasm will be contagious.
The study of Latin also plays a big role as he is trying to learn both Latin and French so he can read certain books.
It is just amazing to me how perfectly this one book fits into our CM education goals.

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2005 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote Mary K

If you are interested in navigation you might want to consider contacting the US Coast Guard or a Sea Scout ship (affliated with the Boy Scouts) for more information.
Mary-NY

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2005 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Mary G. wrote:
but I'm trying to nudge us out of the nature "rut" and branch out a bit.

Mary,

I just have to ask...was this a pun?

Going back to hibernation,

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2005 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

ladybugs wrote:
Mary G. wrote:
but I'm trying to nudge us out of the nature "rut" and branch out a bit.

Mary,

I just have to ask...was this a pun?

Going back to hibernation,

Maria:

I'd like to take credit for a clever pun, but actually it's just been that kind of day.....

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2005 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

On the subject of longitude, there's actually a children's version of the Sobel book, called "The Longitude Prize". Actually, I'm not sure if it's an adaptation of the adult book or not, but it's definitely a children's book and follows the same story line. I read it and enjoyed it, and my ds enjoyed it, too. Gave us a whole new appreciation for what the sailors of the time had to cope with.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 29 2005 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Side note to the subject of longitude...if you are planning a trip to London, you MUST take your children to Greenwich...home of the Prime Meridian. They have a great museum at the observatory, with Harrison's original longitude-finding instruments. There's a lovely maritime museum near the docks, too, that often has stupendous special exhibitions. It's a great daytrip by boat from London.

I loved seeing everything...but I must admit, the highlight of the trip for me was watching my son leap back and forth across the Meridian, saying, "Now I'm in the eastern hemisphere! Now I'm in the western hemisphere!"

Hands-on learning at its best. Priceless.

Laura
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 30 2005 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote Laura

guitarnan wrote:
I loved seeing everything...but I must admit, the highlight of the trip for me was watching my son leap back and forth across the Meridian, saying, "Now I'm in the eastern hemisphere! Now I'm in the western hemisphere!"

Hands-on learning at its best. Priceless.

That's great! Isn't military life great for that hands on learning? Of course it would be even better if I were more outgoing, but still all those different duty stations provide lots and lots of different opportunities.

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2005 at 6:32am | IP Logged Quote Mary K

There is an interesting article about the establishment of time zones and the Prime Medidian in the December 2004 issue of American History magazine.
Mary-NY

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2005 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Just wanted to mention that Dava Sobel wrote "Longitude" (the one the Nova program is about) but about 5 years later, she co-authored The Illustrated Longitude which has the same text, but (duh ) is illustrated. I just picked it up from the library and it is gorgeous! I'm going to read it as background (as we won't start this unit for a couple of weeks) but may read parts to the kids -- yes, it's that readable!

Enjoy

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2005 at 12:10am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

When we toured Harvard this summer, I noticed a big plaque in the Dining Hall dedicated to Nathaniel Bowditch. Kind of cool.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2005 at 6:07am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

We watched the DVD Longitude -- it's got Jeremy Irons as a post-WWI commander who has had a nervous breakdown but is fascinated by the work of John Harrison to get the clocks to work for the Longitude prize. The movie goes back and forth between early 20th and mid-18th....the story is so riveting (but long, two nights' worth) that the WHOLE family enjoyed it (ok, maybe not the 3 yos)....it's great for understanding what it all took to get longitude!

Enjoy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version