Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: We just got back from seeing the Pope! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 16 2008 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MarilynW wrote:
I got goosebumps and felt all emotional thinking that the successor to Saint Peter was passing just a few yards in front of us.
And it was an answer to prayer that I felt well and energetic too.

Oh, Marilyn - I'm so happy for you guys! Sure wish we could have been there! I'm so encouraged and buoyed up by the warm welcome he's received by our president and first lady.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 16 2008 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Here is Marie A.'s picture of seeing Pope Benedict this morning!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 16 2008 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I'm so excited for all of you who got to go!!!! What a great experience that you and dc will always remember.

Living vicariously through all of you from the West Coast......

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: April 16 2008 at 11:20pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Yes, it was a truly amazing day! I have Mary Chris to thank for getting us downtown, as I was thinking a few days ago that we wouldn't really have the chance to see the Holy Father up close and it wouldn't be worth the effort to take all the kids downtown. I was so wrong! We didn't even get there that early - 40 minutes before the Pope was expected to start out. But we were right behind a single row of adults. God really supplies our needs because we ended standing right in front of one of those bus stop covered benches. So the shorter kids could stand on the bench and see over the heads of the adults in front of us. And the older kids could see fine between them. Dh works close enough to walk and joined us on his lunch hour. So all of us got a really good glimpse of him from maybe 50-60 ft away.

I just opened an email from the man Mary Chris mentioned in her earlier post. He stood at the bus stop with us and had a camera with a lens that must have been a foot long! We chatted a bit with him and ended up asking him if he would email us his pics. They are AMAZING. It ended up that he is a photographer, so it's a real blessing that he was willing to share his pics like that.

When we were chatting with him, I had asked him if he was Catholic or just a curious observer. He answered that he was Catholic, but then sort of sheepishly admitted that he is a "C & E" Catholic. (Christmas and Easter.) I later jokingly told Mary Chris that if he remembered to email the photos, I would try to evangelize him by return email.

Well, please say a prayer for this man because the Holy Spirit emboldened me and I did a bit of just that. I thanked him profusely for sending the fantastic pictures, but also told him that I would be praying that Pope Benedict's visit would be the occasion for his return to the practice of his faith. I gave a one sentence little testimonial about the peace and joy Christ gives me.

That sort of thing is really unlike me - particularly to a complete stranger, so I feel like it was inspired. So would you all join me in praying for this man?

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 16 2008 at 11:27pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

teachingmom wrote:
Well, please say a prayer for this man because the Holy Spirit emboldened me and I did a bit of just that. I thanked him profusely for sending the fantastic pictures, but also told him that I would be praying that Pope Benedict's visit would be the occasion for his return to the practice of his faith. I gave a one sentence little testimonial about the peace and joy Christ gives me.

That sort of thing is really unlike me - particularly to a complete stranger, so I feel like it was inspired. So would you all join me in praying for this man?

- you did good! I'll certainly pray for him.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Aggie gal
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 17 2008 at 6:12am | IP Logged Quote Aggie gal

IT WAS GREAT!! We were about 20 feet away. Got there real early too. The kids were so wonderful. They sat waiting for almost three hours

I only have one pic up on my blog so far, as we are on our way out the door for the day to go house hunting. But I'll post more later. I got a few decent shots. And I agree, he went by waaaaay to fast. (I was hoping for parade speed.... )

Back to Top View Aggie gal's Profile Search for other posts by Aggie gal

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 17 2008 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Irene I'll pray too. Great idea. Were you guys on FOX do you know??? If so, did you guys find a link at Fox News for us to watch you?

I can't believe how many of us were down there!!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

tracym
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 17 2008 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote tracym

That is so awesome!! I really considered going but chickened out and was wishing I hadn't! But the kids and I are having a great time watching it on tv the last few days.

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 17 2008 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote insegnante

I read the post about the interviews at 10:02 p.m. last night so turned on Fox news which was just starting and had a lot about the Pope's visit, but I have only met/seen 2 of the 4 people who were mentioned being interviewed, and if they were on I missed it.

Anyway, that is a neat story about the photographer and I said a couple of prayers for him.

Jeanne
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 17 2008 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote Jeanne

Wow!! I love reading about everyone's experience. We are leaving Kentucky Sat. night for a 10 hour drive to NY to attend the Holy Father's mass at Yankee Stadium.

I have been getting a little apprehensive about the drive and getting around with 7 kids,but reading these experiences has brought the excitement back.

Thank you for sharing!!!!!!

P hi li ppians   4:13
Back to Top View Jeanne's Profile Search for other posts by Jeanne

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: April 17 2008 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Maryan wrote:
Were you guys on FOX do you know??? If so, did you guys find a link at Fox News for us to watch you?

I think we ended up on the cutting room floor, so to speak. We were out all evening so couldn't watch the news, but my dad was taping both the 5pm and 10pm Fox News broadcasts, just in case. He told me that we were not on at 5, and since Theresa knows me and didn't see us on at 10pm, I guess we didn't make the cut.

On the flip side, we were out for the evening at a very exciting event. Dh was given tickets to a National Adoption Council fundraising dinner that included a concert by one of our favorite Country singers - Rodney Atkins. It was a pretty small room, and our four oldest girls and dh and I were sitting about 20-25 feet from the stage. Very cool!

So we saw two famous people in one day. But as much as I like Rodney, he simply cannot compare to Benedict XVI!

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 17 2008 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote msclavel

Oooo, Irene, I have goosebumps. I'll certainly be praying. Good for you and the Holy Spirit!
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

KristinaP
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 18 2008 at 6:00am | IP Logged Quote KristinaP

Wow, what great shots ladies! I sure wish I could have gone but at least my husband and 4 of the kids got to go. What an experience!!

Did you know that News Channel 8 has been doing around the clock coverage of everything? My son whizzed by while they were filming at the Basilica last night and my mom caught a glimpse of him!

Teachingmom, I hope you can put up some of those pics that your new evangeliceeee did! :-) I bet they're awesome!
Back to Top View KristinaP's Profile Search for other posts by KristinaP

Aggie gal
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 18 2008 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote Aggie gal

Okay, I finally got the pics up on my blog. It was fun to relive the day. I hope the children will always remember it.

Back to Top View Aggie gal's Profile Search for other posts by Aggie gal

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2008 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

Amy, what wonderful pictures! I am glad you posted them.

My dd14 and ds18 left for Dunwoodie this morning. They are seeing the Holy Father tomorrow at a prayer service at the seminary. Then on Sunday morning, my dh, dd19 and ds15 head to Yankee stadium!
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2008 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

Thank you to everyone who has shared their photos. They are great! I've been wishing that I lived on the East Coast, but I am thankful to EWTN for providing such wonderful coverage. You ladies are so blessed to have been there in person.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: April 18 2008 at 11:49pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

KristinaP wrote:
Teachingmom, I hope you can put up some of those pics that your new evangeliceeee did! :-) I bet they're awesome!

I'm afraid that since the man who sent them is a professional photographer, I don't feel comfortable posting his pictures online without his permission. Sorry!

Aggie gal wrote:
Okay, I finally got the pics up on my blog. It was fun to relive the day. I hope the children will always remember it.

Hey, Amy! You and your family were right near Mary Chris and me. We were on the other side of Pennsylvania Ave from you, right where the street splits for Washington Circle. (That's why we were a bit farther away from some others.) I remember the popemobile stopping a bit near a sign in Spanish when it first entered the circle. That must have been the stop you mentioned. Small world, huh?

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2008 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote joann10

I had 2 kids at Dunwoodie on Saturday and a husband and 2 kids at Yankee Stadium yesterday--here are some of Becky's amazing photos!
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2008 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I was just coming here to post: Did you see Joann's daughter's photos!!! They are awesome!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2008 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

joann10 wrote:
I had 2 kids at Dunwoodie on Saturday and a husband and 2 kids at Yankee Stadium yesterday--here are some of Becky's amazing photos!

Wow - incredible pictures!

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version