Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: I'm Maryan and you are? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 03 2008 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I know we have an introduction post, but sometimes it's hard to go back and read those!

We have gotten quite large in the past couple of month and have a lot of new faces. I know when I first joined after being a lurker for quite a while, we had a 'tell me about yourself' kind of post.

Since we haven't had one for a while, let's do one like a meme. Pick five things to tell us about yourself. Keep your little facts short, so they're easy to read.   

I'll start:

1. I'm a NOVA transplant from CT. (I came down to teach and did so for 9 years before getting married in 2000).
2. I'm chatty with a loud laugh and a passion for coffee... and ice cream... with whipped cream.
3. I love the liturgical year -- mostly the celebration aspect of it. The penitential aspect? Notso good. Working on that.
4. I'm married to a basketball coach... and we talk a lot of sports at my house. Family pools for the NCAA tournament abound.
5. JennGM and I (before we both got married) worked on a musical together and her sister Fuzzy was in it!!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Marie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 03 2008 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote Marie

Fun!

1. I'm a long time lurker. I've read here for almost 2 years and just joined last month.
2. I'm a Canadian girl who was born in Michigan.
3. I became Catholic 4 years ago at Easter...my dad is a protestant minister.
4. I'm generally shy (hence the lurking), but once you get to know me I don't shut up.
5. Spring is my favorite season and I love to sit in the warm sun!

There's a few things about me.

~Marie
Mom to Jacob (06/05) and Sarah (03/07)
Back to Top View Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Marie

CAgirl4God
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 03 2008 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote CAgirl4God

1. cradle catholic... but a bit of a revert.. didn't practice for several yrs in my youth and came back to the church...

2. military wife... married 12 yrs. following my dh around the world...

3. I love the beach and outdoors

4. been homeschooling for5 yrs

5. favorite color is blue
Back to Top View CAgirl4God's Profile Search for other posts by CAgirl4God

JenniferS
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote JenniferS

1. Cradle Catholic

2. Married to an elementary school librarian for 13 years.

3. Taught primary grades for four years.

4. Live in my hometown.

5. Like Marie, I am shy, but once you get to know me...

Jen
Back to Top View JenniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JenniferS

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

Fun idea!

1. I love the beach and would always choose to vacation near a beach if money & family obligations were no issue.

2. We went on a cruise a few years ago and I absolutely loved traveling that way. I'd go on a cruise every year if finances were no object. I love to travel, anyway, and have done much too little of it in the last few years.

3. I attended 12 different schools before graduating high school. We moved a lot! We weren't military, but my dad did work for the federal government.

4. My parents married when they were 18 and are still married today (will be 41 years in June). My father never dated another woman besides my mom (I think that's so romantic!)

5. I have 2 siblings -- my sister is 11 years younger than me, and my brother is 12 years younger than me. Everyone is always surprised that we are very close, but we are!

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

I am Jennifer, married 10 yrs with 4 children: 8.5, 7.5, 5.5, and 18 months.

1. We just brought home our baby boy, Michael, from Guatemala in October.

2. I am an Air Force brat and an Air Force wife.

3. I entered the Catholic church on Easter 2000. It took me two cycles of RCIA before I was ready to leave my Southern Baptist church.

4. I am trying to rid my home of television.

5. I love to nap.

Jennifer

PS I'm looking forward to becoming very active on the boards again-I took a bit of a board break over the winter months.
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I don't think I can whittle down to only 5 things .

1. Cradle Catholic through high school, went my own way, Jesus brought me back several years ago.

2. I'm 46, with a dd25, dd9, ds6, and grands of 6,5 and 2.

3. I have homeschooled for 3 years and God-willing will be able to keep it up.

4. I am still a newlywed! - June 30 is our first anniversary.

5. My favorite color is....copper.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Way to go, Maryan!

Here are 5 things about me:
1. we move, ALOT
2. I was widowed at 30, remarried at 37 and have 5 of my own + 3 of his + 5 grandchildren (yes, HE started early -- I was 9 when his first was born !)
3. I am an eclectic hs'er which means I do all kinds of things in order to help my children live, love and learn in the heart of the home -- but I'm not adverse to sending my kids to "real school" if that's a better option for them.
4. I knit whenver, wherever I can and have just had my second knitting book published by Hillside Education; the first knitting book was published by Ecce Homo Press and called Glory of America Knits!
5. I run 3 blogs: St. Athanasius Academy about our family and living, loving and learning in the heart of the home; By Hand, With Heart ... hand-knit designs; and for the latest knitting book (with pictures of all the projects), Great Yarns for the Close-Knit Family!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Good idea dear friend!

1. I am a convert from 1993, married a cradle Catholic in 1992.
2. I am 24 weeks prego with dd to add to our 6 dc, this after 3 miscarriages in a row, I was certain I was "broken", still praying hard!
3. I love movies a little too much, Netflix and I are good friends! All of my family wants me on their team to play Trivial Pursuit Pop Culture.
4. My one and only little brother is a doctor and I love listening to his interesting cases (including the guy a couple of months ago who had his arm bitten off by an alligator, OUCH!), my wanna-be-doctor/paramedic-self lives on vicariously through him!
5. If Skittles stopped being produced today, life would never be the same for me.

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

Yes, Good idea!

1.I like to knit little things...and really want to take the next step to knitting a garment.

2.I was raised Catholic (nominally) and came back to the Church about 3 years ago in a big way.

3.I was a vegetarian for over 10 years - my soups are now a big hit at the Friday Lenten Soup Suppers.

4.I love solving a crossword puzzle.

5.I am currently reading The Reed of God and this.

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

Here's mine.

1. I was born and raised in Puerto Rico until I was 11.
2. I've had gray hair since I was 21
3. I got married at 19 and have been married just as long.
4. I love pizza!!!
5. I also love, love, love gardening. Here is my favorite flower

Sorry. I couldn't resist. Now I'm off to put my little flower to bed.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 03 2008 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

This is a great idea Maryan....hmmmm....thinking....

1. I'm a southern girl - born and raised in Louisiana, but we moved around a lot as I was growing up with my folks ending up in Nashville - and I ended up in North Alabama.
2. I'm completely in love with my husband of 15 years - he's an engineer.
3. I am committed to healthy eating, but I'm a closet Pepsi addict - the juice of life!
4. I was baptized Catholic, but my parents left the Church shortly afterward (they returned - thanks be to God) and my husband and I formally entered the Church together Easter 1995!
5. I'm a sucker for a sappy movie - Cary Grant, Doris Day, Audrey Hepburn - and popcorn...and did I mention Pepsi!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 03 2008 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote RamFam

I hope it is okay for me to post here, as I am a newbie and everyone else seems to be a seasoned forum member. I am glad you are doing this because I often look into everyone's blog when they post something, in order to get a feel for the experience or authority with which they are speaking.
To get on with it...
1. I joined the Catholic Church in Jan 2007. I grew up Southern Baptist.
2. I am 23, have been married 3 years, and have 6 kiddos: 2 Stepsons- 20 and would be 21, my 7 yo dd, and our three boys- 2 1/2, 14 mo, and due May 26.
3. I lost my eldest stepson last May in a motorcycle accident. This has been the hardest test of my faith and our marriage.
4. I just moved from my hometown in TX to Northern VA, just because we wanted a change of scenery.
5. I was a surgical tech before being a SAHM. (And like KackyK, I live my medical passions vicariously through my husband who is also a surgical tech.)

Back to Top View RamFam's Profile Search for other posts by RamFam Visit RamFam's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Leah, I am so sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine your family's pain. BTW...I love that picture in your avatar! What a great smile!

Let's see, I am Matilda and here is a little about me:
1. I am a native Texan but my husband lived all over the US.
2. We met in college, got married 2 weeks after graduation and have been married almost 12 years.
3. I am a cradle Catholic who went to public school, taught public school and didn't know she had decided to attend a Catholic college. Husband was sent to Catholic schools K -8 and then homeschooled the rest. His mother is still homeschooling his youngest brother.
4. I love to dance although I don't get to do it that often. My dream is that when Husband retires, we will take classes together!
5. I learned how to sew when I was working in the costume shop while studying Theater so the clothes I make can be changed quickly and look best in low lighting!

Thanks Maryan! This was fun!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 03 2008 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I'm going to try to think of 5 things that may surprise you...hmmmm...

1. I slouch (but I'm working yet once again on my posture - hope springs eternal.)

2. I would rather spend my nights watching Little League baseball than just about anything (and then come home and watch the Dbacks on TV .)

3. I have studied three different martial arts and almost black-belted in one of them.

4. My dh and I attended several of the same concerts in our hometown area (NE PA) before we met (I like to picture us brushing shoulders at the Bruce Springsteen or Genesis concerts and sensing ever so subtly our future .)

5. I was a pom pom girl in high school...you know...march out onto the football field waving big poof balls at the end of my hands to the fabulous tunes of our humble marching band . Oh...this one is top secret information so don't tell anyone .

Thanks for asking, Maryan!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

RamFam wrote:
I hope it is okay for me to post here

Most definitely!! These are fun facts of new and old!! I'm learning so much about everyone... and Angie I'm still chuckling over pom-poms.

Already there are 5 converts and 4 Reverts!!    (But I might have counted Jennifer Mackfam twice cuz she was kinda both!

And I'm taking notes... such as: JenniferS has got an "in" with picture books 4 years elementary teacher and married to a librarian....

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 03 2008 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Boy, you've brought this thread back to life, thanks, Maryan!!

Angie -- chuckling here too.

Ruth, beautiful flower you've got there!!

Leah, so sorry to learn about your loss...

ok my facts: (what have i *not* revealed here? i'm afraid i give TMI most of the time!)

1. i am 4'11" and my shoe size is 6 1/2.
2. i am the oldest of 3 kids -- closely-knit filipino family. dh and i went to the same culture and arts school when i was 4 and he was 10 and don't think we met there, went to the same university and never met there, then met at university here in the US when i was 19 and he was 25. married 18+ years, blessed with 4 kids and hoping for more.
3. i have a high tolerance for pain.
4. i am afraid of bugs and dogs, but my biggest fear is drowning.
5. cradle Catholic, but still learning about my faith every single day!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

Oh, it's SO nice to know things about people other than how long they've been h-sing or how many kids they have, (which is usually the stuff in the intro thread) that makes me not be able to really "know" anyone because its so dry!

It's cool to know about pom-pom girls and pepsi addicts, beach lovers and dancers, gardeners and crossword puzzle-ers!

1. I'm from a family of nine and my husband, a construction company owner, is from a family of seventeen. We both were homeschooled.

2. I love dancing! Swing, Charleston, Viennese waltz, English country, square dancing, Irish dancing . . . can do a little bit of all of these.

3. The only thing that makes cooking bearable is a cute apron! I had to make my own!

4. If I were rich, I'd have a room full of shoes and 10 rooms full of BOOKS!

5. I got "marriage prepped" by Maryan's brother-in-law priest -- bet you didn't know that, Maryan! I JUST recently figured out what the "Woudes" part of your blog title meant!

Nice to "meet" you all!

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

1. Cradle Catholic, left the Church during college. I've been drawn back in mostly since my daughter was born.

2. We've been married almost 15 years and our anniversary is next month. We've lived in five houses in those fifteen years and we are not in the military.

3. My son was homeschooled until this year and now attends the local Catholic school. My daughter and I are having fun with Girl School, although the adjustment has been tough for us. We miss "buvvah", as she calls him.

4. My husband is a CPA who is coming into the home stretch of the longest busy season in history.

5.   I attended the 4Real conference last year...my very first Catholic homeschooling conference!

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

1. Technically a cradle Catholic and grew up in New England Catholic culture but I feel like more of a convert--came back to the Church in college via high-church Anglicanism.

2. I majored in music in college (flute) and I almost regret having done so (dh tries to talk me out of the regret).

3. I'm 27, older sister to a 26yo sis and 24yo bro and our Dad and his wife are having a baby in August!

4. Dh and I pick out a town for our anniversary date every year based on the number of coffee shops and used book stores.

5. I'm a closet chocolate milk junkie.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Page of 16 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version