Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Here's a great argument for unschooling Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 08 2008 at 1:27am | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Hi Laura,

We are talking about this on our Unschooling Catholics email list.

One thing I shared was that I know that just taking a holiday and having fun, without worrying about interests and learning, is often helpful. A good way to re-connect.

But it really has to be without strings attached – that we will visit a museum and if all the kids are interested in is the coffee shop, then that’s okay for now.

This leading an interesting life with no learning pressure for awhile often helps with re-kindling interest and excitement and relationships.

Here is a cool link on the strewing that Mary mentioned above.

cheesehead mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 08 2008 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote cheesehead mom

Thanks Mary G and Leonie. I always enjoy both of your posts and insights! I am starting to "plan" for next year and wanting to give some more wiggle room for unschooling time. Unfortunately, I did did an online test with my ds 11 and dd 9 and was a bit disappoointed in results. Now I have never tested before because I knew it would drive me nuts and make me second guess our learning...self fufilling! So I need to take a step back look at the year we had and be grateful for the learning--and make a plan to gradually fill those holes. Their reading scores were great--which is cause to rejoice. Thanks to you both for helping me remember--with your many posts over time--to define education more broadly.

Hey, having a 40 year old mom give birth to my dd's 5th brother this year has undoubtedly been quite educational!

Laura (married to dh 18 years, ds 11, dd 9, ds 7, ds4, ds 2, ds 5months)
Seriously still waiting to see our whole yard in snowy WI
Back to Top View cheesehead mom's Profile Search for other posts by cheesehead mom

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: April 08 2008 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Laura, one of the things that Fr. Rutler advocates, and I agree, is putting children in a situation where they may interact freely with adults. Joining a birding club, or an astronomy club, or a sewing circle, a community orchestra, or whatever, will introduce your kids to many different people from all walks of life.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

MacBeth wrote:
Laura, one of the things that Fr. Rutler advocates, and I agree, is putting children in a situation where they may interact freely with adults.
This is a great idea -- and I think some kids probably are more adept at this than others, but giving them lots of opportunities to SOCIALIZE with all ages is VERY EDUCATIONAL and so much more real-life than a classroom of all 8 year olds! I know even my painfully shy 8yod loves helping the older ladies and their spouses clean the Church and help prep it for the big holidays ... she even teases the older men ... now that's comforatable and she's learned so much from them.....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

cheesehead mom wrote:
   Thanks to you both for helping me remember--with your many posts over time--to define education more broadly.

I think tests can be helpful but we have to try to remember that the results are not the only description of our education. As you said, l we can look at the broader picture, too.

My kids are fairly social so we do things with others. Macbeth's idea is great! Today, I have work meetings, I have to drive an hour to get there, the kids and one of their teen friends are coming with me and they will go to the library, the shops, have lunch out while I am in the meetings. A cool unschooly day - I know they will come home with heaps of books. And have fun!

Sometimes, joy and the love of reading are cool descriptors of our day...

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Leonie wrote:
Sometimes, joy and the love of reading are cool descriptors of our day...
sounds like a perfect day!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version