Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Here's a great argument for unschooling Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 02 2008 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

... or just generally teaching our kids ourselves ...

Michele Q. posted this wonderful quote from Fr. George Rutler (one of my heroes!):

Quote:

I’d encourage your youngest one to abandon kindergarten altogether. Almost everything I learned was learned outside the classroom, and school itself interrupted my education. Moreover, school locks you in with your peers. That is a mistake. One’s social circle should never include one’s equals. From my earliest years I found children uninteresting and always preferred the company of adults. This was an advantage, because I got to know lots of folks who are dead now whom I never would have known if I had waited until I was an adult. - So I have a collective memory - and oral tradition - that goes back to the eighteenth century, having spoken with people who knew people who knew people who knew people who lived then. - The only real university is the universe and a city its microcosm. That is why an expression like “New York University” is foolish. New York City is the university….Instead of school, children should spend some hours each day in hotel lobbies talking to the guests. They should spend time in restaurant kitchens and shops and garages of all kinds, learning from people who actually make the world work….One day spent roaming through a real classical church building would be the equivalent of one academic term in any of our schools, and a little time spent inconspicuously in a police station would be more informative than all the hours wasted on bogus social sciences. Formal lessons would only be required for accuracy in spelling and proficiency in public speaking, for which the public speakers in our culture are not models, and in exchange for performing some menial services a child could learn the violin, harp, and piano from musicians in one of the better cocktail lounges, or from performers in the public subways….So I urge you to keep your child out of kindergarten, because kindergarten will only lead to first grade and then the grim sequence of grade after grade begins and takes its inexorable toll on the mind born fertile but gradually numbed by the pedants who impose on the captive child the flotsam of their own infecundity.

Pretty good eh? What do you think?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2008 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

That is one awesome quote. I'm not sure I have anything to add because he just said it all so, so well!
Can you tell me more about this Fr Joe Rutler? Just exactly who is this genius, anyway?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2008 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Theresa, here's his bio

eta - that's his parish website so if you move around the site, you can find his publications, homilies, etc.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2008 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

I love it! I think the quote equally applies to relaxed homeschooling, too ... he didn't say anything about all of that being totally child-led, after all!
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2008 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

NICE!

I love what he has to say...and I have to say that this is the way I learned best...and I love real life people and experiences for this very thing...makes the world a really interesting place to LEARN in!

Go Father!

God love you!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc and one bellybean due 10/08!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2008 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Mary G wrote:
... or just generally teaching our kids ourselves ...

Michele Q. posted this wonderful quote from Fr. George Rutler (one of my heroes!):

Quote:

I’d encourage your youngest one to abandon kindergarten altogether. Almost everything I learned was learned outside the classroom, and school itself interrupted my education. Moreover, school locks you in with your peers. That is a mistake. One’s social circle should never include one’s equals. From my earliest years I found children uninteresting and always preferred the company of adults. This was an advantage, because I got to know lots of folks who are dead now whom I never would have known if I had waited until I was an adult. - So I have a collective memory - and oral tradition - that goes back to the eighteenth century, having spoken with people who knew people who knew people who knew people who lived then. - The only real university is the universe and a city its microcosm. That is why an expression like “New York University” is foolish. New York City is the university….Instead of school, children should spend some hours each day in hotel lobbies talking to the guests. They should spend time in restaurant kitchens and shops and garages of all kinds, learning from people who actually make the world work….One day spent roaming through a real classical church building would be the equivalent of one academic term in any of our schools, and a little time spent inconspicuously in a police station would be more informative than all the hours wasted on bogus social sciences. Formal lessons would only be required for accuracy in spelling and proficiency in public speaking, for which the public speakers in our culture are not models, and in exchange for performing some menial services a child could learn the violin, harp, and piano from musicians in one of the better cocktail lounges, or from performers in the public subways….So I urge you to keep your child out of kindergarten, because kindergarten will only lead to first grade and then the grim sequence of grade after grade begins and takes its inexorable toll on the mind born fertile but gradually numbed by the pedants who impose on the captive child the flotsam of their own infecundity.

Pretty good eh? What do you think?

Mary G, how do I move this whole quote over to the city vs country discussion going on right now? THIS from Fr Rutler is exactly what I think!!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2008 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

And I was thinking how part of Father's quote applied to us in the country!!

Quote:
...From my earliest years... always preferred the company of adults. This was an advantage, because I got to know lots of folks who are dead now whom I never would have known if I had waited until I was an adult.

We live on my fil's farm. My boys have access to a very wise and talented man every day. A day with "Papa" is a knowledge filled day indeed. He knows his faith, actuarial science, was a jet pilot, knows how to bale hay, fix roofs, build buildings, wire electric... and I could go on!! I'd be a fool to keep them inside with some workbooks instead of watching Papa work in the fields for an hour!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: April 02 2008 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Thanks so much! My unschooled college-bound dd is loving this, and laughing, "Yes". Especially the bit about learning from street musicians .

Fr. Rutler also wrote one of Libby's favorite music books:    Brightest and Best.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2008 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Very good - I must share !

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Wonderful..

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 03 2008 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

That is one awesome quote! Thanks so much for sharing, Mary!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote nissag

I love that quote. Thank you Michele and Mary! That is how I felt at the very beginning of our journey as a family all those years ago.

Blessings,

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: April 04 2008 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Don saw Fr. Rutler today at St. Pat's where he was celebrating a memorial Mass for Bill Buckley. He asked Fr. to autograph Libby's copy of his book (as a surprise for her as a college acceptance gift--she was thrilled), and Fr. chuckled that we were discussing his quote. He said that many folks (those without a sense of humor) were upset by his suggestion that children should hang out in cocktail lounges. I was thinking that many of the cocktail lounges that my kids have played in were hardly the finer ones... .

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

MacBeth wrote:
I was thinking that many of the cocktail lounges that my kids have played in were hardly the finer ones... .
This reminds me of when we were little and doing a neighborhood paper route -- if we had extra papers we sold 'em in the corner bar (but it was ok as it was right down the hill from the local police station and FULL of cops just coming off duty! )

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 4:32am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

MacBeth wrote:
Don saw Fr. Rutler today at St. Pat's
Now that is one priest I would really love to met...New York's good fortune for sure!

Great quote, I'm going to share it round too.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Boy, if that isn't an encouraging quote!

I'm going to share it, too!

And it really lays aside some fears that I have had recently in regards to "not doing school" in the formal sense.

We're packing, folks, and that's real learning!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

ladybugs wrote:
You got that right! Religion -- acts of mercy in donating our "treasures"; Math -- just how many books can you get in one of those book boxes; History -- how many times we've done this before !; Geography -- how are we getting from here to there; Copywork -- labeling all those boxes; Reading -- great family read-alouds as a break from all the sorting, tossing, packing and cleaning !

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Mary G wrote:
ladybugs wrote:
You got that right! Religion -- acts of mercy in donating our "treasures"; Math -- just how many books can you get in one of those book boxes; History -- how many times we've done this before !; Geography -- how are we getting from here to there; Copywork -- labeling all those boxes; Reading -- great family read-alouds as a break from all the sorting, tossing, packing and cleaning !

What wonderful attitudes! I just hope I can keep it as positive when I have to do it in June!
You ladies are such treasures!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

cheesehead mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote cheesehead mom

Hi Ladies. I also loved this quote (as did my dh)but found myself wondering...how do you create these great "unschooling" opportunities for your chldren? Is the key to just be open to what God puts before us...and don't be so planned with school stuff that we miss it:) Sometimes I feel like my crew need more free time, give it and all some of them want to do is sit around asking "when can I have computer time?"   Now my daughter did get psyched about a Ben Franklin book and created a solar cooker the other day...but it is hard to get everyone to channel their free time ibto educational pursuits

Laura--lurking from WI
Back to Top View cheesehead mom's Profile Search for other posts by cheesehead mom

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

cheesehead mom wrote:
Hi Ladies. I also loved this quote (as did my dh)but found myself wondering...how do you create these great "unschooling" opportunities for your chldren? Is the key to just be open to what God puts before us...and don't be so planned with school stuff that we miss it:) Laura--lurking from WI

Laura, glad you came out of lurkdom!

I'm by no means a great unschooler but I'd like to be more so...I don't specifically plan and let it flow, but still control and when the kids are "acting up", out come the workbooks and other table work to remind them what it could be like ... effective most of the time.

I'd say we do it by being open -- to anything: short-term museum exhibits, a chance comment from one of the kids, a lucky find in the dvds at the library and the rabbit trails that result, etc. It's really not that much different than education used to be ... think Little House in the Big Woods -- the girls were educated in living! That's what I want for my kids (but in today's world ... so yes, we use computers sometimes, or dvds/videos, or whatever)

Does that help? [This is a secret ploy to get you posting more and lurking less ]

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version