Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: St Joseph Altars Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 15 2008 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Nice job Ruth!!! Please post that recipe for Salmon and cucumber sauce, it sounds wonderful.

Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2008 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Ruth,

Your Table is lovely! I was tempted by those cream puffs at Costco myself earlier in the week!

I am sad though... I am home tonight while my homeschool group has their St. Joseph Table!

Thankfully, I was able to get most of my goodies to the Table but I had to send Bill and some of the kids without me or the baby because I spent the whole day in the ER. Baby Joseph had to have endoscopic surgery to remove a penny he swallowed!   

Thank goodness for dear St. Joseph--he protected him through the IV being put in and the general anesthesia and they got the penny no problem--but I am wiped out and baby Joseph is acting like nothing ever happened--oh to be young!!

Blessed Feast to everyone--hopefully Bill will take some pictures so I can still share how the Altar and Table turned out!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2008 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

chicken lady wrote:
Nice job Ruth!!! Please post that recipe for Salmon and cucumber sauce, it sounds wonderful.

Thanks, Molly. Here is the recipe for the cucumber sauce.

1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup cucumber, peeled and grated
2 garlic cloves, minced
juice from 1/2 a lemon, plus some lemon zest
1/2 tsp dill
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

I cooked the salmon with butter and seasoned with salt and pepper and put some lemon juice on it. It turned out great!

jdostalik wrote:
Ruth,

Your Table is lovely! I was tempted by those cream puffs at Costco myself earlier in the week!

I am sad though... I am home tonight while my homeschool group has their St. Joseph Table!

Thankfully, I was able to get most of my goodies to the Table but I had to send Bill and some of the kids without me or the baby because I spent the whole day in the ER. Baby Joseph had to have endoscopic surgery to remove a penny he swallowed!   

Thank goodness for dear St. Joseph--he protected him through the IV being put in and the general anesthesia and they got the penny no problem--but I am wiped out and baby Joseph is acting like nothing ever happened--oh to be young!!

Blessed Feast to everyone--hopefully Bill will take some pictures so I can still share how the Altar and Table turned out!

Oh, Jennifer. I am so sorry about baby Joseph. Thank goodness he's fine. You must have been so worried. Saint Joseph was surely watching out for him. I hope you can get a good night's rest.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2008 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Ruth, your table is gorgeous!

And Jennifer, what a scare! I'm glad he's okay, but you must be a wreck! It's after the adrenaline rush that the parents feel like they were hit by a Mack truck!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2011 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Bumping this up.

We started the 30 day novena today (for a special intention for our family) and we are spending the next month building our St. Joseph Altar.

I love this quote about St. Joseph from Pope Pius XVI

Quote:
He belongs to the working-class, and he bore the burdens of poverty for himself and the Holy Family, whose tender and vigilant head he was. To him was entrusted the Divine Child when Herod loosed his assassins against Him. In a life of faithful performance of everyday duties, he left an example for all those who must gain their bread by the toil of their hands. He won for himself the title of "The Just," serving thus as a living model of that Christian justice which should reign in social life.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Mary Fifer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 19 2011 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Fifer

Thanks for bumping Michelle.

And I love the pictures and prayer at your link. We have a special devotion to St. Joseph and we use the top prayer to St. Joseph on this page for those who ask our prayers for employment.

It is so nice when our older children are able to make the St. Joseph altar. They imitate the best that we have done and add new ideas. We also have a parish altar to St. Joseph where they sell the baked goods and give half the money to the poor and half toward Masses for more priests - I think. We don't always make it to that event, but we usually are able to donate food or money.

I love the very pretty lamb cakes that some of the ladies bring to the parish table, so sometimes we will make one for St. Joseph's feast - but more especially for Easter. We're not very handy yet at making the frosting look ornate.

This reminds me that this next month is a Month of St. Joseph and that we ought to think of putting out his candle and statue.

Thanks for the great reminder!

Saint Anne's Helper for Catechism Class

Back to Top View Mary Fifer's Profile Search for other posts by Mary Fifer Visit Mary Fifer's Homepage

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote Lacy

We had our first St. Joseph's Altar last year, and I plan to do it every year now! It's a great tradition!

When I made ours last year, I made a blog post on St. Joseph's altar for beginners with pretty much everything you need to know to put together your own altar.

My favorite thing we made for our altar last year was "fancy" fig newton treats. It's traditional to make the really fancy fig pastries for St. Joseph's altar, but we just carved simple designs into fig newtons. We're going to do it again this year! This was fun and easy!

Something we're going to incorporate this year (that we weren't able to last year) is donating the food from our altar to a food pantry of some kind.

Mary Fifer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Fifer

Thanks for posting, Lacy. My children loved seeing your pastries and the fig newtons! One of Momma's favorite cookies is a fig newton and this will be an excellent opportunity to add them to the menu!

My daughter loved that your links went from pink to purple, too. Of course we tried it a time or two!

Saint Anne's Helper for Catechism Class

Back to Top View Mary Fifer's Profile Search for other posts by Mary Fifer Visit Mary Fifer's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 13 2012 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping this...St. Joseph's Day is in 6 days. Am I the only who isn't ready?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2012 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

JennGM wrote:
Bumping this...St. Joseph's Day is in 6 days. Am I the only who isn't ready?

I am SOOOOO not ready, where is the pause button?

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 13 2012 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I've got fava beans from Italy :) Is that "ready" enough?   

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2012 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I'm thinking about it, praying a novena to St. Joseph...AND I've saved three Amazon boxes for my "altar". Last year, I put our statue of St. Joseph on top of three stacked, stair-stepped boxes wrapped in gold paper and it looked fantastic! We surrounded it with fake flowers and food, and set a candle with a picture of St. Joseph and a prayer to St. Joseph modpodged onto it next to the "altar".

We're definitely having an altar again this year. I keep the food pretty simple and Italian in theme, but we always include a salad, a pasta dish, and cream puffs. We basically use it as a kind of dinner buffet honoring St. Joseph. I can't have all the food be starchy or sweets, and I would lose my mind having all that food sitting out all afternoon! So we put things around St. Joseph about 5, enjoy the loveliness, pray, and then eat it up by 6!

This year I found an amazingly delicious looking recipe for a sort of cannoli inspired cake which I might try. If it's a hit, I'll pass it along!

Got to say, Jenn, I don't know how you do it with the food restrictions. We've been trying to really cut back on gluten and sugar, and events like this are pretty tough to do without flour/sugar. I think maybe I could make some almond flour cakes, but everyone has their expectations sort of set in stone from past feast days. tough to change! Now, my dh needs to cut out fats...

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 13 2012 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stellamaris wrote:
Got to say, Jenn, I don't know how you do it with the food restrictions. We've been trying to really cut back on gluten and sugar, and events like this are pretty tough to do without flour/sugar. I think maybe I could make some almond flour cakes, but everyone has their expectations sort of set in stone from past feast days. tough to change! Now, my dh needs to cut out fats...

Frankly, I'm not doing too well in the traditional treats department. I know what it's supposed to taste like, and I'm not always willing to test and fail. I did that too many times and it's discouraging. So St. Joseph's Altars really have failed me. I've spent a lot of today searching "gluten free" St. Joseph altars. Problem is I need it to be gluten and egg and dairy free, even harder.

So, don't be impressed. I love it all, but not everything looks the same each year. I've found I make or buy our favorite treats or desserts and that makes it the special feast day -- the traditional recipes have to wait a little longer when we're not sick or running around too much.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 13 2012 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

You got fava beans FROM Italy, stef??? Did you order those somewhere or when you were there??? That is very cool...

Your altar and dinner plans sound like they will be so nice, Caroline!

We have a "new" St. Joseph statue since last year which I'm excited about. It's one my mom had - lovely large St. Joseph about 18 inches tall. After my dad died and she moved to the smaller place she was telling us to take stuff so I claimed that.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 14 2012 at 6:06am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

LOL, they're from when we were there -- i was so happy when i stumbled upon them. when we got home i hid them somewhere and didn't find it again until this year. so we're just using them as part of the "decor" and not for eating. (are 3-year-old beans okay to eat?)

Carolyn -- that cannoli inspired cake sounds delicious! Recipe please?

I've kind of given up on traditional recipes for the liturgical year, Jenn -- because of the wheat-egg-dairy combo that's usually the case. Been working on an alternative liturgical year menu -- gluten-free at least, and working on dairy- and egg-free. I'll share here when I'm done :)

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 14 2012 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stefoodie wrote:
I've kind of given up on traditional recipes for the liturgical year, Jenn -- because of the wheat-egg-dairy combo that's usually the case. Been working on an alternative liturgical year menu -- gluten-free at least, and working on dairy- and egg-free. I'll share here when I'm done :)

I'm impatiently waiting!

I like the way that sounds, and that is what I have been hoping to do. For St. Joseph's Day I think my minimum I'm aiming for is an allergy safe cake in the shape of a lamb.

The St. Joseph Altar Symbols for Breads and Cakes:
Monstrance
Chalice
Cross
Doves
Lamb, Jesus Lamb of God
Fish
Bible (this is one of the focal points)
Hearts for Sacred and Immaculate Heart of Mary
Wreaths (Crown of Thorns)
Palms

In this thread about lamb cakes Eva mentioned the Kaiser Lamb mold, which I had found in my searches, but needed that boost to order it. Kaiser Bakeware Lambform. It is a steel pan, smaller in size, but also has a non-stick mold, and I was unable to get the ingredients on the non-stick. It doesn't look shiny metal like the pictures, but a gray color. It's cute and petite.

So I'll use my favorite gluten, dairy and and egg free cake mix.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 14 2012 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary! I love that statue! What a blessing!

I only have a diminuitive 7 inch, so I need St. Joseph send me a larger one.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 14 2012 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Love the cannoli cake idea, Caroline. I just love a good cannoli!

Fava beans from Italy! One year our store was having a clearance sale and I picked a few bags, but they were only for show, as they were old.

I just got this new cookbook from my library La Tartine Gourmande: Recipes for an Inspired Life which happens to be gluten-free (but not dairy or egg free), but wonderful ideas. She has a recipe for a Tartine with fava beans, poppy seed goat cheese, and lemon vinaigrette. What's delightful is she is using fresh green fava beans. I didn't know there was such a creature!

She also has a Lemon-flavored olive oil crust, all allergy free. I thought this might be perfect to make some fruit tarts during the upcoming months, especially for the feast days. I'm excited to try it. Our store had organic strawberries and blueberries already from Florida, so I've been craving the fruit. Blueberry Tart for Lady Day?

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 14 2012 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thought I would also add Gluten Free Lamb of God bread which is perfect for the St. Joseph Altars/feast day.

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 19 2012 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I posted the cannoli cake recipe over at my blog, ladies. It is REALLY rich! It has almond, vanilla, and rum extract in it and lots of sugar! Everyone here loved the fillings, so they are probably going to love the cake tonight, too!

The frosting was a bit hard to get right because of the multiple layers, but if you're not too much of a perfectionist about it, it looks OK!

Unfortunately, not gluten, egg, or dairy free.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version