Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: St Joseph Altars Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 10 2008 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Is anyone planning a home altar this year? What does yours look like?

We are baking cookies, pizzelles, biscotti, cream puffs and yummy cakes and breads. We are having friends over for the feast for a big Italian meal.

We are building our quasi 3 tier altar, with all the statues and pictures of St Joseph we own. We also add flowers and symbols of St Joseph, fava beans and of course the baked goodies.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2008 at 11:09pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

My friend Carrie and I were in charge of this year's altar for our hs group. We had to cancel due to Holy Week and because we didn't think to do it earlier in the month.

I'm really wanting to do one here at home. But the days are so busy...

I'm still hoping we can do something, even if on a small scale.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2008 at 6:20am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

I'd love to see pictures, if anyone has any. I've never done this before. It sounds beautiful.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2008 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Cay Gibson wrote:

I'm still hoping we can do something, even if on a small scale.

That is what we did last year Cay. I just had the dc make the altar. It was beautiful! I have this book and I just let the dc look through and get fun ideas.

I was thinking about you yesterday Cay, as we were reading this book, it talks about how New Orleans is THE place in North America to celebrate St Joseph's day.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2008 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

We are organizing a St. Joseph Altar/Table for our homeschool group this year for the first time, ever. We hope it will become an annual tradition. Since the feast was moved to this Saturday, 3/15 so it wouldn't fall during Holy Week, it worked out well for a good turnout for our group--since we have lots of small children, it is great that we can do it on the week-end when most dads can come, too! :)

Since we are all newbies at doing this, I hope it turns out well. We are having a basic menu of spaghettti and marinara, homemade breads, cannoli and cream puffs and then asking families to bring other traditional St. Joseph foods...

We are going to try a three-tiered altar with fresh flowers, candles, statues and decorative breads (I've been having fun braiding breads!).   

Molly,
I have never seen the book you linked to...wish I had time to get it before this week-end!

Any tips on where to get fava beans? I have had that on my to do list but keep forgetting to take care of that....

I am very excited about this--it should be so much fun and a great way to give St. Joseph some much needed fan-fare!

I will hopefully be able to post pictures on my blog after the event.

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2008 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

jdostalik wrote:
Molly,
Any tips on where to get fava beans? I have had that on my to do list but keep forgetting to take care of that....

Do you have an Italian food Market in your area? That is where I get mine. You can have them blessed and give them out as reminders of St Josphes provision.

If you are able, order the book now, so next year you will be all set    It has wonderful pictures and fun history tales of the traditions behind the altars.

I do hope you can get pics up on your blog, I will look forward to seeing them.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2008 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We're not doing one this year. The timing of Holy Week (and my birthday) is too close to put in energy for an Altar. So I'll just be satisfied with a Virtual St. Joseph Altar

Catholic Culture has tons of recipes for St. Joseph. Just see the drop down list. Problem is choosing one!

Last year I had so much fun hosting the Loveliness of St. Joseph Altars. You can get some ideas of homegrown altars. Just too lovely!

Last year my sister made an altar in her own home -- it was kind of a homeschool project. She focused on making the breads. I celebrated my 40th birthday on that weekend and my table was set up a little like a St. Joseph Altar.

I found a bag of fava beans for in the discontinued rack a month or two ago and grabbed them. I've found them hard to find, so I can't wait to use them.

I wrote this page last year, with lots of links and information on St. Joseph Altars. But I'm with Cay that St. Joseph Altars book by Kerri McCaffety is so gorgeous.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2008 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Jenn,
I wanted to thank you for your St. Joseph page on your blog--it has been my "go to" place for information on getting ready for our Table. Thank you so much!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2008 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

jdostalik wrote:
Jenn,
I wanted to thank you for your St. Joseph page on your blog--it has been my "go to" place for information on getting ready for our Table. Thank you so much!

Thank you! I can't wait to see your pictures!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2008 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Hey everyone,

I can't think of an authentic Italian market in my area (and my to do list and errand running is at a maximum right now!) but I just found
fava beans online and ordered some to get in time for the Feast! . An fyi for those who may want to get some beans sometime...

I'm so grateful for the reminder, Molly, I would have been disappointed if I'd forgotten them!

Let the Little Ones Come

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2008 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

We were working on our altar today, I posted a picture of our altar in progress at my blog.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 11 2008 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I have always wanted to put a St. Joseph altar together, but I'm embarrassed to say that I only have one small statue of St. Joseph. I have been so discouraged every time I look for a nice statue because the ones I look at seem...well...not very masculine, sort of wimpy. Am I looking in all the wrong places??? Does anyone have a good source for a lovely statue of St. Joseph?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2008 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

chicken lady wrote:
We were working on our altar today, I posted a picture of our altar in progress at my blog.

Beautiful, Molly!

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2008 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

My aunt in Denver sent us an Easter package and right on the top was a clipping from USA Weekend Magazine (the one that comes in newspapers) featuring an article on St Joseph's Day! The linked article is text only but the IRL copy has a nice picture of a St Joseph's Table. Anyone else see the article?

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2008 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

I didn't but thanks for sending the link--I emailed it to my homeschool group!

Let the Little Ones Come

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2008 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Jennifer, you were asking about flowers. If you have an Aldis, I found Easter lilies and other spring plants for 3.99 today. They (lilies0 looked awesome on our altar.
NOw to baking the bread into shapes tomorrow.

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2008 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Wow, Molly, that's an awesome price. We don't have Aldis here in North Texas, but our Kroger had some nice lilies for $6.99--I'll have to look around a bit more!

Let the Little Ones Come

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 13 2008 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jdostalik wrote:
... but I just found
fava beans online and ordered some to get in time for the Feast! . An fyi for those who may want to get some beans sometime...

I haven't been following this thread very carefull - I wish I'd seen this earlier as I would have sent you some of the abundance I have here. I got a big bag of them last year and it will take me years and years to use them up on St. Joseph feasts. I also had trouble coming up with a local source - no Italian markets, gorcery stores don't carry them. But then ended up finding them here at several international markets (primarly Middle Eastern products). It such an Old World bean that it is common in those countries as well. Now I know where to shop.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2008 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Mary,
LOL! You don't want to know how many beans I bought! Two bags worth--I hereby promise to be everyone's go to gal for fava beans for next year's Feast!

Let the Little Ones Come

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2008 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

I posted about our Saint Joseph altar here Thanks for all the ideas. Have a blessed day!

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version