Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: I've been given a challenge Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 10 2008 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

I'm with your dh on the powdered milk thing, . I hated it as a child. My dc drink 14+ gallons a week.

A small contribution: I make a LOT of soups. For example, on Monday I'll bake maybe 4-5 chickens or 4-5 roasts for dinner, depends on what's on sale, and we'll eat a lunch the next day from that, then I'll make the rest in to soup that will last another dinner and a lunch. So 4 chickens at maybe $6 each = $24, I get 4 good meals from, sometimes more. There are 9 eaters here so $24 divided by 9 is approx $2.50, divided by 4 meals is approx $0.62 a meal each. Then there are the sides of course. I bake a lot of bread to go with the soup.

Speaking of bread, I buy 100 lbs at a time and I was astounded at the rise in cost! Just 3 months ago or so I bought my 50 lbs bags for $15 each; they were $25 a 50 lbs bag last weekend! Yikes.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 10 2008 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I'm back...:)

Yes to the price book. You can also use it to explain to your family how "just 2 months ago I was paying $1.49 for a loaf of bread and now that same loaf is $1.79."

Make sure that you have a *leftovers day* or leftovers for one meal per day. Our leftovers day is Tuesday because I shop for food on Tuesday night and/or Wednesday.

Recipes ideas for food purchased on sale? 2 ideas: Make a list of meals based on basic foods (as I suggested above) so that you always know you can purchase a food and do something with it when you get home...and you can use the allrecipes.com ingredient search. (Right now I'm trying to find something to do with a bunch of grapefruit - any suggestions?)

I'll see if my dd has time to upload some of my stuff to my poorly tended blog .

I love talking healthy, inexpensive, and tasty food . Thanks, all!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Pamin OZ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 10 2008 at 11:45pm | IP Logged Quote Pamin OZ

If you don't like powdered milk, just try diluting it a bit. I think this would have to be better for you, a la Nourishing Traditions thinking, wouldn't it?

I'm using Elizabeth Foss's idea of a one week menu and it's working! I still get to be a bit creative. For instance, when it was unseasonably cold here a few weeks ago we had soup instead of whatever. I have meatloaf down but we've made hamburgers from the mix a few times and so on.

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/paminoz/
Back to Top View Pamin OZ's Profile Search for other posts by Pamin OZ

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2008 at 6:35am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

I don't have time to write much right now, but we usually spend about $300 once a month at Costco and $200 every 2 weeks at the local grocery store. It does help to have our menus planned out ahead of time. Now that I have stopped buying cereal and making breakfast every morning, we are not consuming that much milk. We don't buy any juice, although I'd like to start buying oj for breakfast. We also have leftovers for lunch every day.

HTH.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2008 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Homemade tortillas:
Well, according to the package, I calculated making about 130 tortillas from the bag. I'm not sure how much it cost me, but online the price is 4.25 a bag (I think I may have paid less in the grocery store, but I'm not sure). Now, you might make them a little bigger (corn tortillas are typically small), but even then, it probably is the same "volume" of tortilla if not the same number, yk? And that comes out to about .33 for 10.

Plus, the clencher for us is that they taste SO good made fresh. To cost less AND its more of a treat, yk? We're planning to buy a tortilla press to save time. (And still buy the ready made variety while I have morning sickness ).

I think that meal plans work well if you are able to be flexible and modify it for the bargains you find (I find I have a good idea of what the ingredients on my list are to go for, and if I come across a better deal, I can sometimes substitute it for something else) AND make them simple. When I first started doing it, it was like I was trying to be more creative and include more variety than necessary making me buy more staples at one time.

I would also go about it from the ingredients first. Well, we can afford to have xlbs ground beef and one chicken this week. What recipes/meals will help that go far.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 11 2008 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

CrunchyMom wrote:
Homemade tortillas:
(corn tortillas are typically small),

I used to be able to buy clean corn tortillas for a reasonable price. Now I can't. Does this corn tortilla recipe look right and thorough to you, Lindsay? Any other tips? Have you made other wheat-free and/or whole grain tortillas? Thanks!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2008 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Years ago I made plain white flour tortillas regularly, but I haven't in a long time, and I never tried it with whole grain.

The recipe you posted looks right. I'm pretty sure Maseca is just the name brand for masa harena. I use the ratios listed on the bag for water, but the recipe on the bag calls for salt, too, and I use double what it says. I think they taste better.

From a Nourishing Traditions standpoint, I think the lime in the cooking process of the masa harena acts kind of like a soaking agent in making the grain more easily digestible.

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2008 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

A friend of mine was in the bean aisle recently doing some comparisons and a lady who was standing there started a conversation with her. My friend said this lady told her that she only serves half the ground beef you normally would in dishes, by supplementing it with pureed chickpeas. I hadn't heard that about chickpeas before. This lady said her kids have yet to notice any difference in taste and/or texture.

I haven't tried it yet...but plan on it soon!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2008 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Chickpeas are the one bean I buy canned. I HATE the smell of them cooking, and now that I'm pregnant, well forget it! If money is an issue, we just go without them, lol.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2008 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Speaking of beans, I've read and compared shop on my own that going with the brands in the Hispanic aisle (Goya) is so much cheaper than other brands.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2008 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Lisa, I totally think you're already an expert in this area and can do this!!

And great inspiration BTW. I've been working on my price book to do some serious pantry sale shopping this summer. Woo-hoo! (And the fact that I'm excited about this venture is just more proof that I need to get out more).

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2008 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

I also highly recommend doing the price list. I used to alternate between Jewel and Ultra Foods. Then I made a price list comparing the two and Aldi (which I had never been in). I was really surprised to learn how much more expensive Jewel was, and what great deals you can find at Aldi. Now I only go to Jewel to buy Spring Water ($1/gallon--it's my beverage splurge) and one or two items we love that they don't have at the other two. I also typed up my price list on Excel and carry a print-out in my pocket. Sometimes I find really great deals on paper towels in unexpected places. I also found that Target brand hygiene products (especially mouthwash) are really well-priced.

I also second looking through the Tightwad Gazette books for tips and recipes. I think I found my Rice Pilaf recipe in there that the kids love (and it's even tastier as a leftover).

I haven't it tried it yet, because we don't get many coupons...but I was reading through another tightwad-type book at Barnes and Noble. They suggested finding coupons for pantry staples (like ketchup) and sometimes using coupons to buy the smallest size of the item allowed; if you do that you can sometimes get an item for next to nothing.

And I'm hoping to freeze ahead some food items (pasta dishes, pre-cooked/seasoned hamburger meat, pre-cooked/shredded chicken, pancakes) in the next few weeks to make meal prep. less hectic after the baby comes. That should take away some of the temptation to order in or send hubby through a drive through as we get settled in.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2008 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

I also find that I spend more when I plan meals in advance. I think what works for us is that I have a few standard "base" recipes that can use a variety of ingredients. Quiche is a big hit around here and it is very forgiving as to what kinds of cheeses and veggies go into it. I've also perfected leftover pizza. We typically don't use tomato sauce and we'll throw almost any veggie or leftover meat on and add whatever kind of cheese we have on hand. If I have something yummy like olives or sun-dried tomatoes around that helps, too. If your family are big traditionalists in the pizza department, just call it something else--broccoli tart, I don't know! Soups are great for holding on-sale vegetables and beans. Pureed soups are easier to hide stuff in and go down easier with kids.

Sometimes something that seems more frugal isn't because of one killer ingredient. Bread is the best example. If you don't get yeast in bulk, bread costs more to make at home (of course, it's much healthier made at home) so find bulk yeast if you want to make your own bread.

Ask around or hunt online for a bulk foods co-op. They are often small and unknown but you can get grains and beans for a good price. Many don't have membership fees.

It might help, instead of menu planning, to write down what's in your pantry before going to the store. Then if you see a huge sale on one ingredient you might see that it pairs well with something you had leftover from last week.

Price books really do work, too. I thought I just "knew" where to get everything the cheapest but I was surprised when I actually wrote stuff down. AT my best I had each of my available stores on a once-a-month rotation and I would stock up each month on the one thing that costs the least there.

Keep us posted, Lisa!

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

MommyD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 11 2008 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote MommyD

I haven't had a chance to read the threads yet (but I will!!) so maybe this has been discussed.

Will you just have the $150 per week or does it need to average that over a period of time? If that is the average, could you look into buying part of a beef or pork directly from the processsor? What about food co-ops in your area that order veggies in bulk? That is the way I would go if I had to feed that many in this lousy-grocery-store town .

Melissa
missing my Kroger and Meijer
Back to Top View MommyD's Profile Search for other posts by MommyD

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2008 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

We do powdered milk!      I agree with making sure it is cold. But I do think it is better than always running out (we don't have a second fridge) and thus rationing what we give them. I figure that milk is better than no milk! When we buy the big bags from the grocery store, which cost $28 they always ask you at the till, if you are sure you want to buy it!   

I made some monthly frugal menus on blank calendar pages. I have certain days per week that are soup and fresh bread nights (2), Egg night, Homemade Pizza night, etc... I do Oats for breakfast almost exclusively, plus fresh fruit, pancakes are a treat!   For lunch we normally have a sandwich or noodle soup with crackers with carrot sticks or celery.

I don't buy baby carrots, because Cello Carrots are cheaper. I don't ever buy bread unless we go to the wholesale store and get big loaves of Rye for $0.89. I buy in bulk only if it saves me $ and I bulk cook wherever I can. We eat popcorn for snacks or homemade cookies.

I also try to keep meals available so we don't need to eat out when I don't have time to make supper. And we sometimes take along sandwiches, popcorn, fruit, etc... If we are going to be in the van during mealtimes.   

This summer, I am looking forward to the first year in three, that we've had a garden since we moved West and have been renting! I collected lots of wonderful canning jars last summer, and a vacuum sealer in anticipation!   

Having a plan that I don't have to keep planning, allows things to run smoothly for me! And I save a lot of money.

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 12 2008 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

On the buying boxed cereal thing: when all of my dc were little kids, we rarely bought boxed cereal (still don't), but I had them convinced that the only boxed cereal they should have was to buy Lucky Charms once a year in celebration of St. Patrick's Day. We still do this! (I thought this was timely )

Peace,
Nancy

ETA: Bulk yeast at Costco comes in a vacuum packed 2-pound bag that I know is unbelievably cheap, although I can't think of the price right now. Probably the same goes for Sam's Club. I pour it into a quart plus a pint canning jar and keep it in the fridge. If you don't belong to one of those warehouse clubs, maybe you have a friend or neighbor who would be willing to pick up *just this one item* for you.
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

1floridamom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 13 2008 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote 1floridamom

I just got this web address from TheHomeschoolMom.com newsletter this week: Recipe Matcher. I haven't looked around too much (and you have to sign up to use it, though it is free), but the concept is one I've been thinking would be a great idea for a long time. You type in the ingredients that you have, and they come up with a recipe for you. It will also keep track of your pantry items (fridge, too), if you are compelled to put that all in. I'm not sure I would since we tend to go through the basics quickly. It would be especially handy in a pinch before payday. Now, most recipe sites aren't dealing with our quantities (of 6 or more servings), but the math wouldn't be hard. Neat!

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2008 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Monica, you link isn't working - I'm super interested though, I am really working hard on this, but having a hard time figuring out not using a menu.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 13 2008 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Here is the Recipe Matcher link.

Love,

1floridamom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 13 2008 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote 1floridamom

Thank you, Angie.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version