Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: I've been given a challenge Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 10 2008 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

My husband had challenged me to spend $150/week on groceries for our family of 11. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, 7 days a week.

We have been spending twice (yep - that's $300/week!) lately. It doesn't help that we have been sooo sick around here and I have been cutting corners, using diposable things, and ordering pizza often. Not good. Not good at all.

I'm figuring on shopping Aldi's often - fine by me. We go through about 10 gallons of milk a week, and about 4 dozen eggs. I think I can do this.

He's also given me $50/week for 'other' items, such as clothes, shoes, whatever we made need to keep us functioning. I think this is reasonable.

Can I do this? Any tips? Advise? I may blog it.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2008 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Would you be willing to share a "typical week" menu wise, and things you won't give up? For example my first thought was "drink less milk" but for some families that's not acceptable, KWIM?   I know when I've wanted help cutting corners, so many things are suggested that we can't/won't do, that in the end it wasn't helpful. Let's tailor this to you so it can be helpful!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 10 2008 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

What about powdered milk? Some people use half milk made from dried milk powder mixed with fresh milk. Also, I've tried powdered milk on my kids and they can't tell the difference IF you make it the night before and get it good and cold in the fridge.

momwats8
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2008 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote momwats8

I hope to hear how you do it. I spend about 250$ a week for our family of 10 so I am anxious to hear how you do.

I must say that with baseball season upon us and now my pregnancy - I am not in the cooking mood and nothing looks good- our food bill has gone up to around 300$ a week too.

Good luck to you:)

http://www.momwats8.blogspot.com
Back to Top View momwats8's Profile Search for other posts by momwats8 Visit momwats8's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 10 2008 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I imagine you already do a lot of things that we do to save--especially since I already spend close to that on our family of 4 I do buy raw milk, pastured meat, organic veggies, etc... which are more expensive; so, I do try to cut corners to be able to afford those things.

One thing we do a lot of is black beans. Dried black beans (even organic) are cheap, and even my husband finds refried beans, brown rice, with grated cheese on a corn tortilla to be a filling lunch--and much cheaper than luncheon meats, etc...

I also add beans and rice to taco meat. I can make it count for 2-3 meals whereas 1 lb of meat might only give us one on a hungry night.

Sometimes, I make our own corn tortillas from Mesaca (or Maseca, namebrand, can't recall). Its the corn and lime mixture that your just add water and salt to to make the dough for tortillas, and they are SO tasty. I make them on an electric griddle and my 3.5 year old flips them; so, I imagine its something your older kids might do independently and enjoy. Corn tortillas are pretty cheap anyway, but these taste better and are a fraction of the cost (just more work, we do both store bought and homemade).

We also buy our beef by the cow. We were able to get the full cow price by splitting it with some other families, and it is so good and really affordable. Though, you have to "use what you have" rather than going to get particular cuts from the store.

I try to use the whole animal, too. If I roast a chicken, I make broth from the carcass. Much cheaper (and more nutritious) than the prepared broth in the store.

When we cut out boxed cereal, it totally made a huge (positive) dent in our food budget. I buy organic from the hfs, and it is still so much cheaper to do oatmeal than the cereal. We also like the steel cut oats around here.

See if you can find a store that sells grains, legumes, dried fruit, etc... in "bulk." I still only buy 1lb or whatever we need, but the store buys it in bulk and packages it themselves. It is so much cheaper than buying the equivalent prepackaged in the store, even the conventional and non-organic stuff in the high-priced health food store I go to is cheaper in this section than the pre-packaged dry goods like flour, rice, beans, grains, etc... at the grocery.

I also find that keeping price lists and planning meals helps keep cost down. I do see my budget inch its way up the less disciplined I am. I did really well when I was keeping a set of excel spreadsheets that had all the regular things I bought and their typical cost at the various stores I frequent. Then, I was better able to spot a good or great deal (I'm horrible at remembering prices), and I was only buying exactly what we need to make the meals I'd planned. I should get back to that

I've also heard that less variety helps one spend less. I think that's why, for us, the black bean/rice/cheese/tortilla thing works well. Its simple, but the ingredients can be varied and combined with a few other simple things so we aren't completely bored. (Adding the leftover rice and beans to taco meat, using tortillas for quesadillas to make leftover chicken go further, or making soups, casseroles, etc... with the aid of broth, canned tomatoes, etc...).

If TexMex isn't your thing and your kids won't touch black beans, maybe there is a "simple" set of staples that would work for your family to be an affordable foundation for a majority of meals?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2008 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Lisa, I would say that it CAN be done!! I only have 5 kids, but the oldest two are 5 11 and 5 4, and eat more than most adults! Over the past year or so, ALDI has upped quite a few of their prices. I have found it is worth it to me to go to ALDI and Kroger (they are across the street from eachother here!) and I've found great deals at Kroger as of late: 100% whole wheat bread on clearance for .49c each, Bob's Red Mill Bags of Hot Assorted Cereals/Flours .89c each, clearance, Milk that would not expire for a week marked down .99, etc.
We've been enjoying "Dal" alot this Lent, tasty and filling. I'm sure you could find quite a few recipes online. Also, checking out picture books at the library with real photos of kids living/eating in otehr countries made us all realize we can eat/live much more simply....and encouraged us too!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2008 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote Mary K

Hi,
Do you have any outlet stores near you? We have a Friehofer's bread store and i am able to get my bread there, including whole wheat, dark German, rye at considerably lower prices than the regular grocery store.
We have Aldi's near us, unfortunately, they don 't plow their parking lot and this 5month along mom to #8 is not pushing a cart of groceries through the snow!! They also cut all the seat belt straps on the carts, so I can't take my 2yodd with me. We do most of our shopping at BJ's, super Wal-Mart and Wegmans when the weather/roads are bad.
Mary-NY
Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2008 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

I would second the powdered milk for things that you are using in recipes and save "the real stuff" for drinking. Also, I greatly reduced the amount of milk we use around here by cutting WAY back on cereal. I have eggs and toast, eggs with hash browns (Ruth's specialty ) and pancakes etc. I also make pancakes from scratch now as opposed to using bisquik. I try to use less meat in our dinners, opting for casseroles etc. I don't buy juice as often or fresh fruit anymore. I just had to let go of a lot of luxuries. (I do buy bananas all the time still, O.J for Sunday's and apples when they are on sale.) I try to use the bread machine more, and pre-make the little mix myself so that I don't make a mess everyday. I try to think of meals more simply and add in more things like rice as fillers.

Just an aside....I noticed you have been sick this season like we were last year. I know this is a weak theory, but we have been very healthy from the flu/stomach bugs etc. since I started instituting large breakfasts. Who knows??? It could be the reason, right? Also, we did NOT get the flu shot this year. (Last year was the first time we got it, and we got sick more than any other year!!!) Also, we try not to see people with other kids very often since we always catch everything it seems and I am pretty compulsive about them all passing the germ-x as soon as we get in the car from Mass, (I have even come to dread the kiss of peace. Isn't that terrible????) other people's houses etc. I also have them wash their hands often while out and prior to eating which I know is a real "duh!" but if you are playing at someone else's house now and then, they WILL often start stuffing in cookies etc without thinking to handwash unless I am running over there pulling the food out of their mouth and dragging them to the sink!! (Not really of course, but that is what I am doing on the INSIDE!! hehe)Anyway, no brainers of course, but VERY HARD to keep up with in a large family, I know.

I pray for health for your family as I know how this can really spoil any type of budget etc when you are ill, and it is totally understandable that you have had to overspend for things like Gatorade, fast food etc. You can only do so much, and taking care of the kids when they are ill is a full-time, tiring, and important undertaking so don't be so hard on yourself about the bill. On the flip side, I know how hard it is to have to deal with the bills after episodes of sickness as we have had to deal with that time and time again too, and my husband just recently gave me the same "challenge". I am still trying too, so good luck to you!!!

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2008 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Lisa you can do this. I spend 100.00 a week for a family of 7.

Buy what is on clearance, Aldis is great for this,but along with Lisa, I find my best deals at Krogers.

ETA, this is not accurate,as I do not buy bread, milk, eggs or most meat    So pretty much ignore me!!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2008 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Okay, you all have encouraged me! :) I already shop Krogers most of the time. My weakness is planning. When I plan a great menu, I spend way less.

Kim, we do a big breakfast every morning, a variety of things, but eggs, oatmeal, pancakes, sausage, hashbrowns, grits, yogurt, cottage cheese, and smoothies are the types of things we have, hence the 4 dozen eggs/week! :) We never do cereal. (though the kids kids would love it!)

Lindsay, I do many of the things you mentioned, when we are not sick! LOL! Would making our own tortillas really be cheaper than the $.79/10 I pay at Aldis?

Powdered milk would work in cooking, but my husband refuses to let me give it to the kids to drink. (something to do with childhood memories...)

Beans are indeed a staple, we do tex-mex just fine here.

Molly, you manage on $100/week? That gives me much hope. Do you do a menu and shop from that? Or just buy what is on sale? Thanks!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2008 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

My weakness is planning. When I plan a great menu, I spend way less. [/QUOTE]
I am the opposite. when I plan a great meal/use recipes, I spend more, even if I am trying to be "seasonal" in my recipe, adapt/adjust, etc. I have some basics in mind that we always need, but I kind of let the clearance section be my guide. Example- I was able to buy 30 packages! of 24 oz Turkey - either cutlets, ground, sausage, burger patties for 1.00 each at Kroger. They did not expire for 6 days yet and could be frozen easily. If buttermilk at Kroger is on clearance, I'll snatch it up and make ww buttermilk pancakes, etc.
I'm an impulse buyer, but only with clearance/nutritional valued foods, kwim??
My dh wanted "recipes" for awhile, but when we all say how much more expensive it was for us to eat that way, we went happily back to "seat of your pants" shopping.
Oh, I figured out that our Sam's Club clearances items every friday am. I am not a big Sam's Club goer in general, but if I go, I make sure it is on a friday.
I got a huge container of laundry powder for 3.91!!! down from 13.00 or so, just because the lid was cracked. Cases of 24 cans of ginger ale/sparkling soda water for .61c!!! per CASE (great for tummy troubles) because they were from New Years, etc.
Happy Shopping!!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

JenniferS
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2008 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote JenniferS

We can only budget $100/week for our family of nine. We just don't have more to put there right now. We have cut back on milk(about six gallons a week), and I have a two week meal rotation that helps me keep things in check. BUT...lately we have been blessed by a good friend that is moving. He needed to clean out his freezer, and he had TONS of meat. They are moving out of state and couldn't take it with them. That helps our food budget tremendously. I also rebuild my menus around what we have on hand and what is on sale.

I thought about powdered milk, but in my neck of the woods powdered milk is more expensive.

Jen
Back to Top View JenniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JenniferS

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2008 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Lisbet wrote:

Molly, you manage on $100/week? That gives me much hope. Do you do a menu and shop from that? Or just buy what is on sale? Thanks!

I do not plan, I am like Lisa R, we eat what is on sale that week.
Example tonight I am cooking a huge turkey, we will eat it for several days. We eat lots of fruits and veggies, again what I find on sale. When I plan, it cost us double!

With the powdered milk thing, I bet if you mixed 1/2 gl powdered with 1/2 gl regular, no one would know. You truly cannot tell, and it will save you lots of money.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 10 2008 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

For those with high milk consumption, when is milk consumed? Do you regulate the amount of glasses to drink in a day? Milk in cereal? I understand the larger the family the more consumption, but just trying to figure it out. Growing up, my brothers drank it like water. To me that's just because I don't like milk, and it doesn't like me.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 10 2008 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

I agree with the planning thing...with me it always equals higher grocery bills.   Also with the milk, I have wondered how the really large families do it! I only have 3 children and I have milk delivered from a local dairy farm - one gallon a week. I just keep it to that. My children are allowed to have 1 cup of milk a day - they get plenty of dairy and calcium from other places during the day. Other than that they drink water. That's it.

I also wanted to direct you all to this link:
SHARE Colorado
Maybe there is something locally for you all? This is through Catholic Charities and the prices are amazing. I think they mention Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, South Dakota, and Wyoming for sure.

Mama to four little girls (04), (05), (07), (09),& my 1st little guy 11/11
www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2008 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

Lisa,

Check out Hillybilly housewife. On the left bar are the $45 emergency & $70 low cost meal plans. I do not recommend you eat like this very often but they do give you some ideas on how to cut cost overall. :)

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 10 2008 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

We cut WAY back on milk and convenience foods, but I'm nowhere near your size family, and I know I would have a hard time fitting in that budget.

I'm VERY interested in learning more from those of you that spend less when you don't plan your meals before shopping. I'd love to hear some specifics! I am absolutely TERRIBLE at looking at a specific food and coming up with a dinner from that. How do you do it? Do you sit down with sales flyers and make your list from there? Or do you walk into the store and wing it? Once you have the food home, how do you figure out a menu? Do you organize your recipes in a certain way that helps you plan meals when shopping this way?

My budget is $165 a week for a family of 5 eaters. That doesn't include meat as we purchase from a local farmer. I do buy mostly organic, so I know that adds a good bit to my bill. I do try to shop sales though. If I shop without a plan, I REALLY OVERSPEND! The last 9 months have been rough with an icky pregnancy and therefore way more convenience and junk foods than normal, but the baby is here now and my dh (and I too) has really challenged me to get our grocery budget back under control.

I'd so love to pursue this strategy of shopping the sale and planning from there, or if it would even be worthwhile for me since my meat is already purchased and in my freezer.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 10 2008 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Lisbet wrote:
Powdered milk would work in cooking, but my husband refuses to let me give it to the kids to drink. (something to do with childhood memories...)

Not to push the powdered milk thing but even if you don't drink dried milk, you may want to try it just for the yogurt. The powdered milk that I purchase is a much better quality than the one bought in the store. You might have something comparable in your area!

Here are few tips that have helped us to cut our food budget:

Slash dairy (We purchase no milk or milk products other than dry milk powder and cheeses.)

Have a list of meals, based on staples, that you can plug into a weekly menu/shopping plan.

Purchase only produce that comes in under $1.00 #.

Save meat and cheese meals for Sunday.

Invest in a pressure cooker and eat whole grains more often and instead of bread, pasta, and crackers.

Check out your local grocery store ads online for specials. Each store tends to have a specialty - know where to go for produce or meat or dairy. See if you can rotate stores every-other week.

Have a well-stocked pantry and a few *go-to* pantry meals for emergencies.

Make a list of all the foods that are expensive. Work with your husband and children to figure out your priorities. For example, one person might feel that an avocado is worth giving up a quart of milk...or those fresh blueberries might be worth it if you count out only six per breakfast serving. Some *special* foods (ie: expensive foods) can make us appreciate food and keep us from feeling too sorry for ourselves when eating bean soup for the third time this week .

That's it for now! If I think of anything else, I'll be back:). The key for me is to keep it simple. If I get to fussy about details...I get cranky and no one is happy . Best wishes, Lisa...you go girl!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 10 2008 at 10:09pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I've tried the powdered milk test several times. If it's good and cold, no one can tell at my house, as long as they can't see it being poured from another container.

If you use grated cheese, grate your own. It's freezable; we had a neighbor who used to grate pizza cheese once a quarter and freeze it in ziplock bags.

Speaking of ziplocks, you can re-use them if you wash and dry them. I used to have a mitten-drying rack that was perfect for this (Mom thought I was insane). I tossed ziplocks used to store raw meat, but otherwise you can re-use them many times over.

I have a vague meal plan for each week, and I fill in as circumstances and schedules allow (we have an ever-shifting schedule here, sigh). We're running low on meat right now, for ex., so I scrounged and found enough lentils for soup; I made extra, so my lunch is covered for the next 2 days. I baked a loaf of bread in my machine; someone will finish it off in the morning. I have a small family, so I only have to bake one loaf at a time.

Last night I tried a new recipe - linguine with cubed potatoes, broccoli, pine nuts and a lemon juice/oil dressing. It was good (too much lemon for us, but that's fixable); no meat, could use frozed broccoli, it used up our last couple of potatoes...I like dishes like this where you can toss a bunch of things together quickly, and use up odds and ends. (Soup for summer weather, sort of.)

My #1 money-saving tip is: Make a price book. This idea comes from the Tightwad Gazette books. It takes time (without kids), but you'll never wonder again where the best prices are.   Simply make a long list of the items you buy over and over - milk, diapers, cat food, ground beef, tissues, etc. - then go to every place you'd consider shopping and write down the unit price for that item. (You may have to explain yourself, if the management sees you.) Then, go home and figure out where the deals are. Every weekend, when the specials circulars come out, compare them to the price book and decide whether the extra savings are worth the gas - $3+ per gallon - and the time to get to that store.

The trick is to be totally disciplined. If you're going to Giant Food to get orange juice and peaches, get them and don't go down any other aisles. Pay and leave.

We're military, and many military families really struggle to make ends meet. I've done the price book thing for years, at each new duty station, and I have to laugh when people tell me they don't save money shopping on base. I can quote price after price to prove them wrong because I have made price books.

If you haven't read the Tightwad Gazette books, go to your library and request them. The author goes to some real extremes to save money, but most of her suggestions are practical, emphasize family involvement in daily chores and tasks, and they're all "road tested" ideas. You can pick and choose what will work for you. (Yes, she has some recipes.)

I'll admit to being extremely fussy about meat. I hate the broth-injected pork and chicken (we don't eat beef). I will pay extra to avoid that 15% solution. Here in Maryland they are just starting to work on the concept of sustainable farming, so I have hopes for the future but will have to stick with grocery store meats for a couple of years yet.

I'd love to see some bean recipes; I'm just learning how to cook them properly, Mexican-style, and so far the results have been quite good.

I love this thread, so far...let's fill it with great cost-saving tips!

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2008 at 11:08pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Lentils, beans, lentils and more beans...oh yes, and a very big helping of oatmeal and homemade hearty bread.

Up here in Canada I struggle to keep it under $200 a week for a family of 6!! And that is with no organics (which we would prefer to eat!) and eating beans/lentils at least 2-3 times a week and hardly any meat. We really need to get our bill way way down too as we are volunteer churchworkers with a stipend that doesn't allow for a lot extra.

But I find breakfast cereal a killer too- even if it is on sale it is just all that milk it takes to go with it!! I buy it once a month or twice and when the box is out it is out and my 7yos comes to terms with it (he LOVES cereal). I will be away for a week (a friend is dying) and because it is my first time I stocked up on cereal for my little sweetie!

Please keep us updated Lisbet on how you are doing- I think I will update my new monthly menu and shopping list onto my blog. I have alot of cost cutting still to do, and it really helps to see others working towards that as well (makes it easier for me when I get down in the dumps about it).

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version