Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Chicken Salad Tea Sandwiches Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 18 2005 at 12:05am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

I tried this delicious recipe for Chicken Salad Tea Sandwiches today. It was a huge hit, tasty and extremely delicious. I served my Chicken Salad on thin rounds of French baguette and skipped the almonds. What a treat!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2005 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Alice,
Your sandwiches sound delicious! I often use the leftovers from a rotisserie chicken (the one I buy at the grocery store when I am too tired to cook! ) for my chicken salad. I chop up the chicken into small bite-sized pieces, add mayonaise, pecans, grapes or apples diced, and celery...basically whatever I have on hand...it is delicious and pretty healthy...you don't need to much mayo!

I love the idea of using a baguette... Thanks!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2005 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

jdostalik wrote:
I chop up the chicken into small bite-sized pieces, add mayonaise, pecans, grapes or apples diced, and celery...basically whatever I have on hand...it is delicious and pretty healthy...you don't need to much mayo!

That's such a great idea. I'm going to start making it a habit of picking up a rotisserie chicken now and then. My children would really enjoy a fresh chicken salad for lunch!

Cottage Blessings
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2005 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Hey, I have to second the rotisserie chicken idea. AT the store where I shop they also have organic and free range rotisserie chickens as well so it's a bonus!!

What could be better for us busy moms, than pre-roasted chicken, especially for leftovers or the fabulous chicken salad sandwiches Thanks for posting this one

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2005 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

happyheartsmom wrote:
   AT the store where I shop they also have organic and free range rotisserie chickens as well so it's a bonus!!

Now that is just perfect.

And as long as we are on the subject of cooking, may I give the highest, most enthusiastic endorsement for "Saving Dinner" by Leanne Ely? I know it's been discussed here and elsewhere a million times, but it bears repeating--the book is fantastic. Delicious menus are pre-planned for the week with shopping lists (and the lists may be printed out off the internet, so there is no need to make photcopies). So far, I've made eight dinner recipes, and virtually every single one has been a huge hit (with the exception of "Moroccan Fish Tangine"--I used the wrong type of fish and completely ruined it--I doubt my children would have been able to get past the cumin anyway!). Watching my children devour a turkey meatloaf tonight was a beautiful thing.

Tomorrow night, Chicken and Rice Chowder! I used to slave over my menus, but having them pre-planned to perfection by someone else has been a blessing.

Cottage Blessings

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2005 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

I got my copy of Saving Dinner in the mail a few weeks ago and haven't had time to crack it open...it sounds like I must find the time to do so this week!! Thanks for the endorsement, Alice!! I know many of you all have loved the recipes in this book and I hope my kids and husband do, too!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2005 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

jdostalik wrote:
I got my copy of Saving Dinner in the mail a few weeks ago and haven't had time to crack it open...it sounds like I must find the time to do so this week!! Thanks for the endorsement, Alice!! I know many of you all have loved the recipes in this book and I hope my kids and husband do, too!

You will not be disappointed, Jennifer. I did not realize how delicious the recipes were going to be--frankly, even if the recipes weren't quite as good, I would love the book for the convenience of having the planning done for me. With such delicious recipes though, the book is perfect. I have dozens of cookbooks, but this is the one I would keep if I had to choose just one.

Cottage Blessings

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2005 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

alicegunther wrote:
jdostalik wrote:

You will not be disappointed, Jennifer. I did not realize how delicious the recipes were going to be--frankly, even if the recipes weren't quite as good, I would love the book for the convenience of having the planning done for me. With such delicious recipes though, the book is perfect. I have dozens of cookbooks, but this is the one I would keep if I had to choose just one.

Thanks for both of the endorsements. I just ordered a copy. I have lots of cookbooks, but the idea of planning, particularly at this juncture, really appeals to me.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2005 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Well, I just ordered a copy of Saving Dinner and I can't wait for it to come. It sounds like it's been a *saving grace* for you all    Thanks for the ideas!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2005 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

happyheartsmom wrote:
Well, I just ordered a copy of Saving Dinner and I can't wait for it to come. It sounds like it's been a *saving grace* for you all    Thanks for the ideas!

Fantastic, Meredith! Let us know how the kiddies like it.

Cottage Blessings

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2005 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

One more thing about Saving Dinner--if you have a large family, you may need to double the recipes. Each night, the recipe makes plenty for my family (mom, dad, and 6 kiddies ages 11 to 1) with little if anything left over, but if I had six teenage boys instead of six relatively young ones, it might not be enough.

Cottage Blessings

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2005 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

This is my first week on Saving Dinner and I love it. Like Alice I have no leftovers but that is ok. I am just so relieved to have the planning done for me and s far the recipes have been wonderful.

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 23 2005 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I just got my copy today. I'm thrilled that there are many, many recipes that I can use with our food allergies in this house. I'll have to do some adjustments and moving around of recipes, but it's still minor to the overall planning.

Does anyone use the SavingDinner.com website? What about just for printing out the grocery lists?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2005 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

jenngm67 wrote:
Does anyone use the SavingDinner.com website? What about just for printing out the grocery lists?

I use it to print out the grocery lists from the book. What a time saver!

Cottage Blessings

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 23 2005 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I double . And it is nice to have it all planned out. I find I have to tweak quite a bit though, Jenn, to avoid wheat...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 26 2005 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth wrote:
I double . And it is nice to have it all planned out. I find I have to tweak quite a bit though, Jenn, to avoid wheat...

I'm almost done going through the book seeing what I can and cannot use. Could you tell me what your substitutions are for

1) breadcrumbs

2) flour for thickening

3) flour for breading

4) side dishes when she suggests breads...do you just skip that for yourself and serve for the rest of the family?

Thanks!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 26 2005 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Jenn,
I'm really struggling lately. I've found I can't even touch bread without itching. So I skip the sides for everyone. I'm tinkering with cornstarch for thickening and tonight I put tapioca in the crockpot (didn't really work). For breadcrumbs I whir tortilla chips in the blender (though I think corn might be making me itch too). Flour for breading? I skip the recipe or do it without the breading.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 26 2005 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth wrote:
Jenn,
I'm really struggling lately. I've found I can't even touch bread without itching. So I skip the sides for everyone. I'm tinkering with cornstarch for thickening and tonight I put tapioca in the crockpot (didn't really work). For breadcrumbs I whir tortilla chips in the blender (though I think corn might be making me itch too). Flour for breading? I skip the recipe or do it without the breading.

Tortilla chips! Great idea. We do so much brown rice, corn and oats in our house...hope we don't get allergic. There's an old Southern thickener called file powder that I'm wondering if it would work outside of gumbo. Tapioca and cornstarch would have been my suggestions. Make sure you dissolve and get out the lumps before putting in the crockpot.

Sorry to hear that you are reacting so much to the wheat. Almost sounds like you have "Baker's Asthma" developing the allergy later in life due to overexposure! I try to keep all wheat to a minimum at our table, too, just to spare my son from the itchies.

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 26 2005 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

Is a wheat allergy the same thing as Celiac's Disease?

I've been wondering if I have this Celiac's, but I'm afaid of getting diagnosed for health insurance reasons. I have become uninsurable for a PCOS diagnosis, but adding to that problem with another diagonosis seems scary.

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2005 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote mary

breadcrumbs - I usePamela Baking MIx for making bread and then use that as a source of breadcrumbs.

for thickening - I use arrowroot starch

flour for breading - arrowhead mills has all kinds of flours, if you have a wheat allergy.

I have not done Saving Dinner although I did look at the book. I use the baking mixes from either of the 3 places listed about and can make just about any side bread with them. There are so many products available nowdays.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version