Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: wooden animal figurines Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 03 2008 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

I thought I saw a post on wooden animal figurines around Christmas time. I tried to do a search but couldn't find them.
I have little guy whose 5th birthday is coming up and he would love these.
Any ideas?

Sonlight Garden
Back to Top View bfarmmom's Profile Search for other posts by bfarmmom Visit bfarmmom's Homepage

bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 03 2008 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

oops! found some by doing a google search

Sonlight Garden
Back to Top View bfarmmom's Profile Search for other posts by bfarmmom Visit bfarmmom's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 03 2008 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I think it was a thread I started asking to compare Ostheimer and Holztiger.

I still don't have any Ostheimer, but my 3 year old got the most beautiful Holztiger elephant for Christmas...

that the trunk broke off of before it escaped from the package.

Granted, we have porcelain tile floors (read: really hard), but it was super discouraging. I've tried gluing the nose back on, but it promptly gets dropped and broken withing MINUTES of being returned to play. It even broke the wood in a different spot from the glue joint (I guess gorilla glue really is stronger than wood like it claims )

Anyway, I was really disappointed. Maybe an elephant is unique in having an appendage that when dropped, the positioning and proportioning makes for a weakness, but my boys weren't being super rough with the elephant, but toys do get dropped, yk?

I'm having issues with dishes, too, but those are glass/porcelain. I thought wood was a beautiful alternative to plastic--didn't realize how delicate it was--especially when we were looking at them as heirloom type investments.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 03 2008 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

Oh that is a little discouraging. Especially when spending all of that money. Would you buy more? I wonder if the Ostheimer are more durable?

Sonlight Garden

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2008 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

CrunchyMom wrote:
It even broke the wood in a different spot from the glue joint (I guess gorilla glue really is stronger than wood like it claims )

I know people who swear by gorilla glue, but I have had this same experience - that things still get re-broken. I discovered two things about gorilla glue: 1) it expands as it dries so actually does more damage to some materials than it is worth and 2) it's too strong to use on most materials (I learned that the idea is to use a glue that has only slightly more strength than is being put back together, otherwise it will either rebreak (glue too weak) or break elsewhere (glue too strong).

Very disappointing. :(
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version